SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Campus Carry Suit Dismissed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Campus Carry Suit Dismissed Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
Maybe I missed it, but

quote:
A US federal judge has dismissed a lawsuit filed by three academics that sought to overturn Texas’ “campus carry law” on the grounds that it would prevent free speech.

The professors at the University of Texas at Austin filed the lawsuit against the institution and the state in July last year, challenging the 2015 law requiring public universities to allow holders of concealed-handgun licences to carry their weapons inside most buildings and classrooms on campus.

But district judge Lee Yeakel wrote in his decision on 6 July that the scholars – Jennifer Lynn Glass, professor of sociology; Lisa Moore, professor of English; and Mia Carter, an associate professor of English – did not present any “concrete evidence to substantiate their fears” that the law would have a “chilling” effect on free speech, according to The Texas Tribune.

The professors claimed that the law violated their First Amendment rights since the possibility of a gun being in their classrooms might make them hesitant to discuss controversial issues.

The campus carry law in Texas was approved in 2015 but only took effect from 1 August 2016.

Hundreds of students at UT-Austin protested against the law last year by carrying dildos, which are banned on campus under university and state obscenity rules, between classes.

Last year Stephen Mumford, a professor at the University of Nottingham, wrote in a blog for Times Higher Education that he would boycott the University of Texas while it permits guns on campus.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Last year Stephen Mumford, a professor at the University of Nottingham, wrote in a blog for Times Higher Education that he would boycott the University of Texas while it permits guns on campus.

I understand the University of Missouri has openings....

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Guns don't kill people. Dildos with guns do.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5725 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:

I understand the University of Missouri has openings....

The real question is: has he ever even been invited to UT? Maybe this is like me boycotting North Korea, or something.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 5014 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Dismissed huh?

Posts: 7410 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hundreds of students at UT-Austin protested against the law last year by carrying dildos, which are banned on campus under university and state obscenity rules, between classes.

Maybe it would be okay if they were carried in proper holsters? Big Grin

Posts: 9297 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Good! Those three can move to Chicago or some place like that. Maybe they'll feel safer there.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
quote:

The professors claimed that the law violated their First Amendment rights since the possibility of a gun being in their classrooms might make them hesitant to discuss controversial issues.
Did they not think there was the possibility of a gun being in their classrooms before campus carry was legal? That's just dumb.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18040 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
the possibility of a gun being in their classrooms might make them hesitant to discuss controversial issues.

Glad this paranoia based on fantasy was not granted governmental support.

We need the Trumpster and the Senatecritters to get more sane judges appointed, to keep this sort of stuff restrained going forward. Imagine if this were to have gone to the 9th Circuit? <<<<shudder>>>>>

Posts: 15158 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
A US federal judge has dismissed a lawsuit filed by three academics that sought to overturn Texas’ “campus carry law” on the grounds that it would prevent free speech.
The real danger to free speech on college campuses these days is the "academics", and anyone who can't see that is blind.

The irony is lost on them, of course. They're utterly oblivious to it.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 109167 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
The other story, which I did not post, was about some professors get around the threat of confronting gun packing wild students by holding office hours in nearby bars where firearms are prohibited under the 51% law.

I thought some might think I was making stuff up.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
The other story, which I did not post, was about some professors get around the threat of confronting gun packing wild students by holding office hours in nearby bars where firearms are prohibited under the 51% law.

I thought some might think I was making stuff up.

I'm continually astonished by people who think rules will protect them from rule breakers.

Posts: 2453 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
The real danger to free speech on college campuses these days is the "academics", and anyone who can't see that is blind.

The irony is lost on them, of course. They're utterly oblivious to it.

Here, Here!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3796 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post