SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Which rotary tool for grinding and polishing? Dremel-brand or others?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which rotary tool for grinding and polishing? Dremel-brand or others? Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted
Hey all-

I am in the market for a rotary grinder/polisher tool. My knee-jerk reaction is to just buy a Dremel.
Is there something better out there? Bosch? Craftsman? Harbor Freight?
Not to mention: Cordless or corded?

What do you like?

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
What size grinding and polishing are you talking? For small sized projects, it’s hard to beat the versatility of a Dremel package.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15632 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
After going through 6-7 Dremel brand tools, some dying with VERY little time on them, each new one lasting shorted than the last, I gave up on the brand. (one after being used one time)

I replaced them with two Black and Decker models (of all things lol) and they've both held up 10-15 years plus.

(in threads like this someone will always bring up Fordam rotarty tools. Larger and more money.)

Posts: 21123 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dremel is not the quality it used to be. I went through several Dremels before switching to B&D.
I still use Dremel attachments and bits.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16132 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
This would be for small projects: ruining grip modules, small parts polishing, cleaning up garden tools.
Which B&D models are we liking?

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Dremel is crap now? Huh. Guess I'm glad mine is old.

Harbor Freight tools are single use disposable garbage. It's bad enough that so much stuff is made in China, but patronizing that place almost makes you a pinko.

I would recommend Dremel, but I guess you'd also need a time machine. Shame.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27022 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Money well spent would be a Foredom set. Brownells carries them but you may locate at a better price.

Posts: 17922 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine is the B&D RTX 6.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16132 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a Dremel man, and have been for years. I have purchased the Weber, Craftsman, B&D rotary tools over the years, but none of them stood up to my usage like the Dremel tools. Granted, I have not purchased a new Dremel for the last 5+ years, so things may have changed.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of djinco
posted Hide Post
I am a silversmith and I use Fordham tools. Expensive, but you buy it once. They keep you hooked with the vast multitude of bits and accessories.

Cheers, Doug in Colorado

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 648 | Location: Colorado | Registered: February 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Rare if ever use the dramels these days.
I use Ryobi angle grinders battery powered
There are flap disk and cutting wheel for these little grinders that do most of my needs
Attachments for Dramels priced themselves out of my liking years back.

Posts: 22411 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I use a Bosch RotoZip variable speed fitted with a flex shaft. Works great. All the standard Dremel type attachments work.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
I you have air pressure it’s tough to beat the ARO pencil grinder.

I have about a gazzilion hrs of use with them.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rbert0005:
I you have air pressure it’s tough to beat the ARO pencil grinder.

I have about a gazzilion hrs of use with them.

Bob

I use a pencil grinder a lot, as well as a regular sized one. There are still times when I reach for the Dremel, though.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10794 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was going to buy a Dremel,great tool, but I really didn't have a real need/use for one. I went to Walmart and wound up getting a cheap for one for only $19.00. Granted it is no Dremel, but for the occasional times I have used it, it has been great. It has varying speed and comes with a bunch of accessories.

Posts: 6913 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motorheadjohn
posted Hide Post
Bruce, I do all my own gunsmithing and I use a set of Wheeler gunsmith files and sandpaper and work by hand much more often than pulling out the Dremel. Slow and steady approach....

When I do pull out the Dremel, it's a variable-speed corded model that was fairly inexpensive. You'll spend as much on the bits as you will on the actual tool. I'd honestly prefer a battery model to avoid the pull and hassle of a cord, but when I only use it a few times a year, the battery would probably turn to junk in just a couple years from lack of use.

If I used one more often, I'd buy one of the models that are pencil-style with the remote motor hanging above. But I don't use it enough to justify buying another.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: October 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I would just like to buy some bits that don't wear down so fast!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8401 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I have used the hell out of my two Dremels.
One with long utility business end cord and another just regular unit.
I don't care if it is a Dremel brand or not but the utility of this device is immeasurable.
I have a Rotozip too.
I use mine all the time.

Posts: 22952 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I have both a wired and battery Dremel, the battery-powered one gets far more use. The diamond cut-off wheels and grinding tools available on Amazon make it hugely more useful.

I also have a Rotozip, I just wish I knew where I could buy a flex shaft for it. I tried adapting the Dremel flex shaft, but no workee.

Posts: 6516 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
Foredom is the best but if you're not making money with it, it's hard to justify the cost of owning one.

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post