SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Operation Southern Shield" speed enforcement and awareness campaign started today, which is a speed enforcement proogram in several southern states
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Operation Southern Shield" speed enforcement and awareness campaign started today, which is a speed enforcement proogram in several southern states Login/Join 
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
quote:
Around here, some of the worst offenders seem to be LEOs.

I believe there is a tactic used by LEOs that if a vehicle passes them (LEOs) while they are pushing the speed envelope, then the driver of that vehicle should be ticketed.
I've been passed by a State Trooper while going 70 in a 65 zone. Numerous times, I've seen that trooper passed by someone and getting pulled over. Make sense??

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
There has been little or no speed enforcement, or even any cops, for that matter, on the interstates I drive most (26, 81 and especially on I-40). The only vehicles not doing 80-85, often more (70 mph speed limit) are trucks and a few slowpokes. I'll still take dangerous freedom over chickenshit like neighboring VA, which considers 80 mph to be reckless driving.

Posts: 27963 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
I think 80 mph is the norm in Houston. Rush-hour traffic, city streets, highway, 610 Loop...doesn't matter. I'm amazed at the speed which some people drive. We have (another) fairly new outer loop toll road encircling most of Houston with a speed limit of 75. I get passed on that thing like I'm standing still!

If the country Sheriff deputized me, I'd have their Traffic Violation revenue budget inside a week...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
But, but, I have 500+ cubic inches of pure bliss... Hi officer.

Posts: 9154 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
quote:
Originally posted by VictimNoMore:
quote:
Covid has really hit the state coffers, why is anyone surprised.

Yet the article clearly states: returns for a fourth year after reducing traffic injuries and fatalities in the first three years of the week-long enforcement period compared to the week before and after the enforcement effort.

Try again.

Ah, I didn't realize you were one of those people just believed everything they saw/read in media or heard from their government...

If it was really about reducing traffic injuries and fatalities, why wouldnt they just do it all year? Why have it for one week only unless its to cover a budget shortfall.

No, I am a person who reads and comprehends what he has just read. This is the fourth year of this operation. Since we know that from the article, then we also know it is not just a one-off due to Covid, as you speculate.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Covid has really hit the state coffers, why is anyone surprised.

Yet the article clearly states: returns for a fourth year after reducing traffic injuries and fatalities in the first three years of the week-long enforcement period compared to the week before and after the enforcement effort.

Try again.

Ah, I didn't realize you were one of those people just believed everything they saw/read in media or heard from their government...

If it was really about reducing traffic injuries and fatalities, why wouldnt they just do it all year? Why have it for one week only unless its to cover a budget shortfall.

No, I am a person who reads and comprehends what he has just read. This is the fourth year of this operation. Since we know that from the article, then we also know it is not just a one-off due to Covid, as you speculate.

It's still a cash grab which was my point.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
How about you gents taking your measuring contest elsewhere. Enough.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's those damn few spoiling for the many.

Saw a new Porsche 944 yesterday,

90 feet off of the interstate, in between a half dozen , 8 inch dia. Maples,
in chest high grass.

He and the state patrolman were out assessing the situation.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54643 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:.

Saw a new Porsche 944 yesterday
A new 944 would be a real collectible.

Wasn’t the last production year 1991 for 944 models?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30673 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As I stated in my previous post I hated being assinged/forced to work these campaigns.

I did do a lot of interdiction work, speed enforcement and traffic investigation.

I targeted individuals driving reckless, at ridiculous speeds and people weaving in and out of traffic.

When I would make the drive from Durham to Charlotte for work once a week, I swear it was a death race. Every drive I always saw people spun out or single car accidents in the median.

Then I would get to work and work about one fatality a night due to speed.

So selective enforcement campaigns due work, I just think they should be as much effort in doing continuous enforcement

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
could have been a 928 , a 216 or a .357

but I was doin 65 m.p.h. and drivin

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54643 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
Like Artie, driving on the autobahn was pure joy.

If your not actively passing you must stay to the right, don't comply - get a ticket.

If you don't yield to a faster driver - get a ticket.

If you drive a truck and aren't in the far right lane - get a ticket.

If you don't slow down in marked areas - get a ticket.

Don't use your blinker to change lanes/make a turn - get a ticket.

If you want to drive 100 mph or more - Kein problem as long as your vehicle is properly maintained/equipped and your not eating/drinking/using your phone.

Your car is for driving, not a virtual office, not for shaving or putting on make up, not for texting/using your phone, etc.

My family and I never felt safer driving on roads than in Europe. We averaged 100-120 mph on the autobahn and never had a single worry.

Here in the US, wherein everyone is doing everything other than driving, we always worry if there are a lot of other drivers on the road.

If the highway is wide open, the conditions are good, there is no reason for operations like southern shield as the OP posted.

You forgot making rude manual gestures at other drivers will get you a ticket. Not just flipping the bird either. Making a circular motion at the side of your head with your index finger, fist shaking, etc. also counts.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Blackmore, that one I did not know!

Posts: 3724 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
How about you gents taking your measuring contest elsewhere. Enough.

Fair enough. Understood.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
**Quick Notice of Operation Southern Shield**

The "Operation Southern Shield" speed enforcement and awareness campaign started today, which means drivers with a heavy foot need to keep an eye on their speedometers.

The southeastern regional campaign, which includes Alabama, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and Tennessee, returns for a fourth year after reducing traffic injuries and fatalities in the first three years of the week-long enforcement period compared to the week before and after the enforcement effort.

This year's "Southern Shield" campaign reinforces the message on the dangers of driving above the legal speed limit. Area enforcement officers feel it’s more important than in previous years as there are fewer vehicles traveling on interstates and major highways during the pandemic and this has contributed to an increase in speeding in most areas across the United States. Operation Southern Shield lasts for an entire week. 

https://wdef.com/2020/07/17/op...ld-starts-july-20th/

Stay safe while driving,don't drive distracted.

I saw three (3) pulled over on the way into Atlanta this morning and one (1) pulled over at lunch. This is higher than normL in my experience, so this appears ro be good info.

We need an operation like this here in northern Virginia! I travel a lot on the 234 bypass. 4 lanes. 55 MPH limit. Traffic normally! runs at about 65, with a lot of morons screaming by at well above that 65. Whipping back and forth between lanes, etc.

Have not seen LEO out there in years!

Real revenue generator if enforced!

Posts: 1010 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: October 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
Like Artie, driving on the autobahn was pure joy.

If your not actively passing you must stay to the right, don't comply - get a ticket.

If you don't yield to a faster driver - get a ticket.

If you drive a truck and aren't in the far right lane - get a ticket.

If you don't slow down in marked areas - get a ticket.

Don't use your blinker to change lanes/make a turn - get a ticket.

If you want to drive 100 mph or more - Kein problem as long as your vehicle is properly maintained/equipped and your not eating/drinking/using your phone.

Your car is for driving, not a virtual office, not for shaving or putting on make up, not for texting/using your phone, etc.

My family and I never felt safer driving on roads than in Europe. We averaged 100-120 mph on the autobahn and never had a single worry.

Here in the US, wherein everyone is doing everything other than driving, we always worry if there are a lot of other drivers on the road.

If the highway is wide open, the conditions are good, there is no reason for operations like southern shield as the OP posted.

Fully agree! Spent nearly 10 years in Germany, drove a lot of miles between convoy duty for the army and driving 180 miles (round trip) on many weekends to play cards with my FILs friends! Not to mention hunting.

Posts: 1010 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: October 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
There has been little or no speed enforcement, or even any cops, for that matter, on the interstates I drive most (26, 81 and especially on I-40). The only vehicles not doing 80-85, often more (70 mph speed limit) are trucks and a few slowpokes. I'll still take dangerous freedom over chickenshit like neighboring VA, which considers 80 mph to be reckless driving.

Think about the governors we have had for the last several years! Not to mention the gutless elected officials! Care to guess the party affiliation?

posted Hide Post
Back in the day when I worked for the Sheriffs Office just south of Quantico, we could earn extra money starting shift about 0400hrs to help Virginia State Police and our traffic units deal with all the reckless drivers reports and wrecks that took place on our roads in the County and on I-95.

Last night I was killing time and checking on the homicide rate in Charlotte NC when I ran across this article::

"NC trooper critically injured while investigating crash that killed 5 people in Charlotte on Friday night."

On Saturday, July 4, at approximately 8:36 am, Trooper Adolfo A. Lopez-Alcedo was struck while assisting with a follow up collision investigation that occurred the previous day. 'As Trooper Lopez-Alcedo was beginning a shutdown of the I-485 Outer Loop near the 21-mile marker, he was struck while outside of his patrol vehicle. The initial indications are that a passenger vehicle struck his patrol vehicle from behind, in turn striking Trooper Lopez-Alcedo.

It all originated by a series of crashes on Interstate 485 Friday night started by a driver speeding at over 100 mph.

Trooper Lopez-Alcedo has only been on the job for two years or so and is out of the Area 5 Barracks which is the Charlotte Region.

I worked a couple of fatalities with Trooper Lopez-Alcedo and he is a good guy but I know he thought I was a nut job and I have a few sandwiches missing from my picnic basket. He has that fresh from the academy smell and being a trooper he is extra rigid and stiff. But after working a few cases together I guess he either figured out or deducted that I was hopeless and loosened up a tad

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post