SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Selling a motorcycle online, any issue with providing the VIN
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Selling a motorcycle online, any issue with providing the VIN Login/Join 
posted
I'm selling one of my motorcycles and have it listed for sale on a couple different motorcycle discussion boards. I've had a couple guys inquire about the bike and have asked me to provide the VIN to verify insurance costs. I know a lot of dealerships will list the VIN on their websites but I was just curious if anyone could use the VIN as a part of some type of scam. Thanks

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
I am sure someone will come up with a reason not to provide it but I can't think of one. On the flip side, as a buyer, I would see a seller unwilling to provide the VIN # as a red flag. I have bought and sold dozens of vehicles in the last 30 years and never had a hesitation to exchange a VIN from any party.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks I really can't think of a reason either but this is my first time selling a vehicle online so just wanted to be sure.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Insurance quotes for a buyer to make a decision do not require the vin. It is just easier for the agency.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5055 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
You may see 'interested' people ask you to get a VIN report. This is just a scam for them to get you to purchase one from the company they are fishing for. Just beware...

When I sold a bike this last January I obtained a VIN report anyway, and when I mentioned I already had one, the line turned to: "Oh that company can't be trusted. Please obtain one from this company. I have used them in the past".

The VIN report is legit - its just a list of data that can be pulled from the DMV and other sources. I actually found it interesting as you can see who owned the bike, where, and for how long, and for how many miles during it's life.

Todd

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 420 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't send an anonymous person on the internet your VIN until you've established a rapport with the party. While the information is supposed to be restricted to LE/MVD/insurance, a VIN can establish more about you than you may want known these days, ie your home address where the motorcycle may be stored.

But if you feel comfortable with it...

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
send via text message.

Posts: 2218 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phxtoad:
You may see 'interested' people ask you to get a VIN report. This is just a scam for them to get you to purchase one from the company they are fishing for. Just beware...

When I sold a bike this last January I obtained a VIN report anyway, and when I mentioned I already had one, the line turned to: "Oh that company can't be trusted. Please obtain one from this company. I have used them in the past".

The VIN report is legit - its just a list of data that can be pulled from the DMV and other sources. I actually found it interesting as you can see who owned the bike, where, and for how long, and for how many miles during it's life.

Todd

I won't be purchasing any VIN reports from anyone, guy whose interested just asked for the VIN, didn't mention a VIN report.

posted Hide Post
You can sell your bike online to this place.

https://www.rumbleon.com/

I used them, gave them the vin, they gave me a price, then came and picked it up.
Guy on a large flatbed, had several bikes.

Either way, he may use a site like that to see what it’s worth,
Or perhaps even flip it to them, if they offer more than you’re asking

Posts: 53 | Registered: October 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rickc007:
You can sell your bike online to this place.

https://www.rumbleon.com/

I used them, gave them the vin, they gave me a price, then came and picked it up.
Guy on a large flatbed, had several bikes.

Either way, he may use a site like that to see what it’s worth,
Or perhaps even flip it to them, if they offer more than you’re asking

I haven't read good things about rumbleon, mostly lowball offers, but I haven't thought about getting a quote from them. I've had two local shops offer me 13K for my bike but I think I can get another 2 or 3 grand selling it on my own.

posted Hide Post
What bike is it out of curiosity?

Posts: 138 | Registered: November 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by racer313g:
What bike is it out of curiosity?

2018 Kawasaki H2SXSE

You can see it here:

https://advrider.com/f/threads...0-miles-16k.1452181/

Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
There's absolutely nothing to worry about when posting your VIN. Anyone can walk up to your vehicle or motorcycle and look at your VIN at any time.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2271 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post