SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Apple Wallet automatically changes your credit card info after it has compromised and cancelled (not for an Apple Credit Card)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apple Wallet automatically changes your credit card info after it has compromised and cancelled (not for an Apple Credit Card) Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Well this is kind of creepy.
Our main credit card is the Amazon Prime Visa (from Chase) Got a message on both the home and cell phone indicating possible fraud and to call a 1 800 number.
I called the 1 888 on the back of the card to be sure I was talking to Chase.
Someone had called in trying to change information on the card from a number not listed when I applied. I confirmed I did not call nor did I know that number. The cancelled the card and issued new.
So of course I had to go through my last statement and figure out what all Auto pays and saved payments needed to be changed.
Chase was kind enough to overnight my cards. They arrived today and I started to change my card numbers.
I went to my Apple Wallet on my phone first only to find that my new information had already been loaded into Apple Wallet and my iTunes and iCloud accounts.
Found this pretty interesting. Would make sense if it was an Apple Credit Card but an unrelated companies card, that is pretty wild.

My Amazon account who I got the card from had to be manually changed.

I have since missed a couple calls from the number that tried to access my account. My guess is they were going to try some fishing scheme to get the info they did not know for the security questions.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25703 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grapes of Wrath
Picture of Wino
posted Hide Post
Don't have to wait for the new card in the mail to make a purchase with Apple Pay or to use your ATM to get cash.

Especially helpful if you have to replace it while away from home.

Posts: 1460 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Apple “handshakes” with your card issuer to set up Apple Pay. It surprises me only a little that the issuer communicates back to Apple that the card number associated with the account has changed.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Protect Your Nuts
posted Hide Post
Visa and MasterCard both have a service that automatically updates card info based on status changes. Visa for example offers an API that registered developers can call and receive a flag if card details have changed (reissue, etc) or if the card was closed. You can then automatically update stored card information in your application, or (if the card was closed) prompt the user at app opening that their stored card is no longer functional. The information exchanged is a token and no card details are transmitted. It’s actually been around for a few years, but it’s taken awhile for merchant/purchase based apps to program to it. I ran a project about 18 months ago related to this for a local FI.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"deserves" ain't got nothin to do with it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 2696 | Location: VA, mostly | Registered: June 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
American Express has the same type of program as well where your new card is updated for any automated or recurring charges.

Posts: 324 | Location: GA | Registered: August 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Ah. Those last two posts explain a lot. For example: I'd noticed that it didn't seem to me as if I'd had to update card information as often as I used to for recurring charges. Began to wonder if I'd been imagining it. Guess not.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by l33571:
American Express has the same type of program as well where your new card is updated for any automated or recurring charges.

This is true. I recently went through this with my wife's amex.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30954 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of np149
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by l33571:

This is true. I recently went through this with my wife's amex.

I came here to post the same thing. In my case, my AmEx was used a few years ago in Eastern Europe to buy a one way airline ticket to the Middle East!

AmEx immediately and wisely blocked the purchase, locked my account, called my cell number and left a message, called my work and left a message and “red flagged” my cellphone app and website login pages to immediately contact them.

When I called, they told me what happened and that they were updating my Apple Wallet and overnighting new cards. I was very impressed and I have stuck with them ever since. They earned my business.

Posts: 236 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post