SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I think it's time to brush off the ol' resume
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I think it's time to brush off the ol' resume Login/Join 
posted
Work in the public safety field, government employee.

I'm a contract employee, which means I have full time hours but no job security. They just renew your contract.

I liked my old office a lot, but to avoid being laid off I got shipped into a new office. Don't really like it here, lots of older "set in their ways" people nearing retirement. Lots of cliquiness.

Worst of all, caseload they push on me is 20 to 30% higher than I feel i can handle while still feeling "on top of things".
In other words, if shit goes sideways, I know I will be blamed but I don't have time to address everything. And they told me from the getgo that they will NOT be paying any overtime so don't bother.

I've talked to my supervisor about this and the reaction was just, "well...nothing we can do."

I know I am just one man. I can't change the system. And yet i feel every day that I have to rush to get everything done, or else it doesn't get done. But at the same time, it's easy to have something slip through the cracks and get blamed for it. Real catch-22.
Started really drinking for the first time in my life (always social, never to cope like it is now).

Time for a career change.

I wish I knew what I'd be suited for. Did lots of trades type stuff for the family biz when I was younger, no thank you. Still feel that back pain and tension from getting into it with people over nothing.

Thank God I have investments and a ton of coin saved up. I've put a hiatus on every major purchase that isn't necessary (no new guns or other toys) in case I need to streamline my finances and make a hasty exit.

Posts: 1179 | Registered: June 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
May God guide you after He prepares you for a move.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5200 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Do you want to stay in safety? How does what you do translate to the private sector?

Posts: 3580 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:

If your job sucks, so will other aspects of your life.

Posts: 28645 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
We’d need a bit more about your current job and skill sets to make some decent suggestions for possible opportunities.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17597 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
With a lot of people near retirement, I'd think it is a ripe environment for upward advancement.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
Do you want to stay in safety? How does what you do translate to the private sector?

quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
We’d need a bit more about your current job and skill sets to make some decent suggestions for possible opportunities.

I have to really sit down and think about it. Was thinking to go to a career counselor or do an assessment.

I feel like I have skills that i'm not really utilizing and keep going into this field because it's easy to sell myself with my experience.

I don't want to continue in the field. The criminal justice system and dealing with crime in general, is not the most uplifting place to be.

Posts: 1179 | Registered: June 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:

^^ This, in spades. If you can get out, do it. Might be worth less $ for lower stress and aggravation.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2783 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
High standards,
low expectations
Picture of Surefire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:

^^ This, in spades. If you can get out, do it. Might be worth less $ for lower stress and aggravation.

Yup. I make damn good money, but my job has provided nothing but frustration and disappointment, negatively impacting the quality of life away from work. But they pay well...so I stay; im afraid to take the plunge and chase dreams. Frown

The reward for hard work, is more hard work arcwelder76, 2013

Posts: 5252 | Location: Edmonton AB, Canada | Registered: July 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain. 16+ years as a .gov contractor, working for 4 different employers, doing the same job. I'm waiting for my kids to finish college before possibly making a change. My current employer isn't that bad, but the .gov made our company practically sell their soul to get the last renewal. That translates into more work, with less people. Any success we create is quickly claimed by .gov, but any failure (mainly caused by the .gov) is solely ours. Oh well, it's a job. For now. Good luck.

Posts: 520 | Location: Middle Alabama | Registered: February 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know exactly how you feel, I just quit a job I had for 18 years to force myself to change careers. The job had been awful for 5 years but I wouldn’t leave because the pay and benefits were too good. I noticed that I was becoming angry most of the time and generally unhappy all of the time so I talked it through with my wife and be both decided it was time to end things with that company. I’m in a good situation financially right now so I have some time to figure out what to do next which takes some of the pressure off. All I can say is that it’s scary to just leave but it feels good when you do.

Posts: 548 | Location: washington state. | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
It sounds like you are up on current events, just sucks to live like that. I will say for the record that once you know you don't like your job any longer go ahead and start looking. It happened to me and I didn't look. If you don't like it you tend to resent and misbehave (well at least I did) and got canned (and I didn't have my out-of-work-plan as good as yours). I went through a really, really rough couple of years. Moral of the story: looking back I would have rather been in control of what happened to me next. And I will never ever again give any iota of allegiance to a corporation....

Pissed off beats scared every time…

- Frank Castle

Posts: 3815 | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post