SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cedar Waxwing for the Bird Twins
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cedar Waxwing for the Bird Twins Login/Join 
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted
Down in Cannon Beach, OR this last week on a walking path by the river I spotted a Cedar Waxwing. Fortunately I had my camera with me (Pentax K-1 with Sigma 50-500mm lens). Enjoy

Posts: 3568 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Great birds!

They actually get drunk on the berries after they raid a tree for a meal.

Nice photo too!

0:01

Posts: 4286 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
This is a hen.
They're absolutely beautiful.
I love to watch them "swim" through blue berry bushes.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39874 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
That is an excellent photo!

Birds aren't really my thing, but the colors, composition, and balance are really eye-catching.

Posts: 17675 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Wait until you see the male!
They have colors dripping off of their feather tips.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39874 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I had one as a pet for many years.

Found him hit by a car and blinded in one eye.

He was the most endearing, smart, funny, mischievous little thing.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34421 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
We have a whole herd of them come through in the early spring. Guess we're in their migration path.
I have a heated bird bath hanging off my deck railing, and they come to that. There must be somewhere between 20 and 50. They're in the trees, on the deck, on the bird bath, and always moving. They hang around for about 30 minutes and then they're gone.

I have to wash off the deck when they leave, but I don't mind a bit.

Posts: 3273 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Leave them some blueberries or blackberries.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34421 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
What a beautiful bird

Posts: 3535 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been seeing some lately, as the omnipresent Washington state Himalayan blackberries are starting to ripen.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
We have a regular flock that come thru and cleans the holly berries off the bushes. Beautiful, very social birds.

Great picture.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20395 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Nice photo.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53249 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
The little bandits come thru and steal all the berries off my holly and pyracantha bushes. Beautiful birds.

Posts: 6592 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
Along with the finches, grosbeaks and cardinals, waxwings are among my favorites.

Just a week ago, I cleared out an area in my back yard so I can put in a serviceberry tree next spring to help attract more of them to my yard.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post