SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Roman numerals
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Roman numerals Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I can interpret Roman numerals easily. But I once had a computer programming exercise: write a program to convert any Arabic number to the equivalent Roman numeral, using the language FORTH.

I searched the web for “How to write Roman numerals”. I found lots of links, but every damned one of ‘em was an explanation of how to read ‘em rather than how to write ’em.

Here’s why I was interested in info about writing Roman numerals: consider the number 999. The conventional Roman numeral form would be CMXCIX. But I wondered if the ancient Romans might’ve used this shorter form for convenience in everyday commerce: IM. (1000 - 1)

In the end, I just gave up and wrote the program to produce the conventional Roman numeral form.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In Perl:
quote:
use Number::Convert::Roman;

$c = Number::Convert::Roman->new;

print $c->arabic('IV'); # prints 4
print $c->roman(4); # prints IV

Posts: 2542 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
I can interpret Roman numerals easily. But I once had a computer programming exercise: write a program to convert any Arabic number to the equivalent Roman numeral, using the language FORTH.

I searched the web for “How to write Roman numerals”. I found lots of links, but every damned one of ‘em was an explanation of how to read ‘em rather than how to write ’em.

Here’s why I was interested in info about writing Roman numerals: consider the number 999. The conventional Roman numeral form would be CMXCIX. But I wondered if the ancient Romans might’ve used this shorter form for convenience in everyday commerce: IM. (1000 - 1)

In the end, I just gave up and wrote the program to produce the conventional Roman numeral form.
I believe that the subtractive rule requires that only the next smaller unit be used, so "IM" would be invalid; however an exception seems to exist regarding "D"--900 is written as "CM, not "DCD".

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
Re: “I believe that the subtractive rule requires that only the next smaller unit be used, so "IM" would be invalid”

Somewhat correct although, for the standard form, IX is legal and VX isn’t, despite the fact that “V” is the next smaller unit.

But my point was that the ancient Romans might’ve cheated when cheating yielded a much shorter string than the standard form whose meaning was nonetheless clear.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
According to the article I linked, the conventions for how the numerals were combined were not hard and fast in actual use.

“The subtractive notation (which uses IV instead of IIII) has become the standard notation only in modern times. ... Constructions such as IIIII for five, IIX for eight or VV for 10 have also been discovered. Subtractive notation arose from regular Latin usage: the number 18 was duodeviginti or ‘two from twenty’; the number 19 was undeviginti or ‘one from twenty’.”

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I’m 11001100 years old. Is that easier than Roman Numerals? It’s certainly more useful.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
The Romans fucked up and forgot one, which led to their downfall. What's the Roman numeral for zero?

For example VII-VII=?

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
We learned them XLV years ago when I was in elementary school.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
I’m 11001100 years old. Is that easier than Roman Numerals? It’s certainly more useful.

Are you sure you don't have an extra digit in there?

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
You're 204 years old? Wow! You must have incredible genes.

(11001100 in binary could also be expressed as CC in hexadecimal. It's enumerated as (12 x 16) + 12, which is 192 + 12 = 204. Even dropping 1 zero would only drop it to 102, which is still pretty old. If you dropped the 2 right-hand zeroes, the value would be 51--much more reasonable.

(As it happens, reading your entry from left to right also gives a value of 51, but that's not the usual way of reading in this country.)

flashguy

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
According to the article I linked, the conventions for how the numerals were combined were not hard and fast in actual use.

“The subtractive notation (which uses IV instead of IIII) has become the standard notation only in modern times. ... Constructions such as IIIII for five, IIX for eight or VV for 10 have also been discovered. Subtractive notation arose from regular Latin usage: the number 18 was duodeviginti or ‘two from twenty’; the number 19 was undeviginti or ‘one from twenty’.”

This is most definitely the case. In actual ancient texts (i.e. not manuscripts of ancient texts copied in the medieval or later period), you definitely see no standardization of numeration. Graffiti is the gold standard for this type of analysis, since inscriptions on buildings tended to be done by professional hands. I dare say that IIII is far more common than IV in the graffiti that happen to have numbers. You even see IIIIIIII or similar in texts like shopping lists or invoices.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
If you really want to see confusion, show them an analog clock with Roman numerals.

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
If you really want to see confusion, show them an analog clock with Roman numerals.
Or even better--an analog clock with NO numberals!

flashguy

Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Darn Romans got a different numeral for every number. Geesh!

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
I’m L years old, and I know them.

yep,

I'm LVI

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
We learned them XLV years ago when I was in elementary school.

Me too and I'm glad I did just for bragging rights. Otherwise, one of the least useful things I learned in school.

Posts: 9514 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of skonie
posted Hide Post
I just quized my 16yo daughter. She’s GTG.

Posts: 1513 | Location: NV | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoulda Coulda
Oughta Woulda
posted Hide Post
I can’t remember how to write 1,1000,51,6, and 500 in Roman numerals. IM LIVID !!

Stolen from someplace online that I can’t recall.

Posts: 543 | Registered: June 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post