SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    General Tire: Any Good?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

General Tire: Any Good? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
Was going down the highway this morning in my Mazda5 and had to do a quick lane change to avoid traffic coming on via an on-ramp (around here NO ONE YIELDS) and BAAAAAMMMM, right into a huge deep pothole which totally destroyed my drivers side front tire.

Roadside got the donut on for me (only suicidal people try to change their own tires on this road with people zipping by inches away at 85 mph) and I was on my way.

Stopped by my local independent tire place to get a new set of tires on Friday as I was getting close to needing some anyway and they recommended General Tire for my budget, I told them I can spend about $100 a tire right now.

Are they any good? This place has never done me wrong before so I trust them, I just thought I'd ask here. Usually they do Hankook or Nexan but I guess they have these now.

Does anyone have them here?

Posts: 33891 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
They are fine. I've run them on beater cars with no issue.

On a side note the General Grabber truck tires are actually pretty nice....

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4525 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one of the General G-Max performance tires on my Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo and they are great. I am satisfied with them. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3071 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I have General Altimax on my Toyota Corolla and they are fine, as have been other Generals in the past. They are never a bad choice.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 28009 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
I like General tires.

The General Altimax RT-43 tires I put on my Camry were much quieter than the 2 previous sets of Michelins and I'm getting a lot more miles out of them. Close to 50K on this set, whereas the Michelins I was lucky to get 30K.

I liked them so much, we put them on two other cars (another Camry and a Corolla). All are holing up well.

Posts: 1807 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Never used General myself, but I looked it up and Consumer Reports recommends General Altimax RT43 tires for Mazda 5s. Actually rated better than the more expensive Michelin Defender.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23319 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShouldBFishin:
I like General tires.

The General Altimax RT-43 tires I put on my Camry were much quieter than the 2 previous sets of Michelins and I'm getting a lot more miles out of them. Close to 50K on this set, whereas the Michelins I was lucky to get 30K.

I liked them so much, we put them on two other cars (another Camry and a Corolla). All are holing up well.

Those are the ones this place recommended.

Posts: 33891 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put a set on my wife's Genesis Coupe and they worked fine but they were noisy. I could usually hear her coming down the road from a block away. She never complained though...

Posts: 869 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Yup, I am a fan.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are they any good?

ANY good?
Yeah they are.

Posts: 22947 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I stuck General Gmax AS-05 tires on my daughter's car and they've been great.

Probably overkill but I have General Altimax Artic snow tires for her winter setup and they've been awesome!

Once my current runflats wear out, I'll probably switch to the Gmax as-05 for my car. I always prefer goflats over runflats for ride quality.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8033 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Everyone has their preference ... for me, am a Michelin fan, but like the the BF Goodrich TA/KO for street/off road.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have General Grabbers on my Ford Explorer and they have been excellent in the S AZ dirt roads.

Scouts Out

Posts: 1118 | Registered: May 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fill your hands
you son of a bitch
posted Hide Post
I've run Grabbers on my last two trucks and they've been great. Made in the USA also.

Posts: 459 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I just got some truck tires on eBay. These are Michelin LTX m/s 18” tires. They are normally about $220 a tire. These were 2019 y/r, ‘take-offs’, two for $250, delivered.

Facebook marketplace usually has a bunch too.

One may not want to deal with resellers.

Posts: 6186 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
I prefer Michelin overall, but I had no complaints about the set of Grabbers I had on my Tundra. They didn't last quite as long as my current Michelins have, but probably similar $/mile.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5283 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put General Altimax tires on my Honda CRV when the factory originals needed replacing. I would buy them again. They are quiet and have good wet and dry traction. They have also received good reviews online.

Posts: 177 | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i had a set of Grabbers on a Tacoma. no complaints.

-------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
General tires are made by Continental and are good skins. I had a set of Grabbers also and they were good tires. Never used any other of their products but I suspect they’re fine.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15626 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
When I most recently had a new set of tires installed on my truck and General was the recommended brand, all I could think back to was that advertising slogan I’d heard repeatedly as a kid: “Sooner or later, you’ll own Generals.”

Looks like they were right! Smile

I’ve had this set a while and have had no issues; I’d buy them again.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6695 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post