SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any place nice / interesting on 395?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any place nice / interesting on 395? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
Interested in a follow on trip from the last trip we took.

Looking to go north on 395 instead of south.

Any recommendations north of 80 on 395 up to about the OR border? Easy hikes, mountain bike, lakes/kayak, what not?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13115 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
A little ways off 395 is Lava Beds National Monument. Wikipedia entry

Posts: 28692 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks -- tagged for consideration. Was looking at Klamath lake area (high density of hotels so seems popular) and it's in the neighborhood.....

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13115 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
if you want a little more 'nice' look up Frenchglen on 205 E of the Hart Mountain Antelope reserve area, E of 395 in the Oregon/Nevada line area. Frenchglen has camping, ample bird watching, an incredible loop road up to the top of the highest gravel road in Oregon (Steens Mtn), over looking the Alvoort Desert. Donner und Blitzen River runs at the bottom of the highest 'block thrust uplift' in the West, IIRC. The loop road is rough and demanding, but I saw a rental sedan full of Canadians going up a few years ago when I was going back down. It is a large deep U-shape glacier valley in the nearly pristine back country. The route is rough enough take most of the day to make the loop, and enjoy lunch at the top if you only take the short arm up.

Spectacular country. Roughly the 395 intersection on Hwy 20 W of Burns forms a large rectangle with the Hwy 95 from Denio, Nev to Jordan Valley Oregon/Idaho state line.

Fields is on a marvelous flat 70mph gravel road, and you may see anything from sail planes to wind surfing via 3 wheeled catmaran style rigs. Or simple wind surfing via wing & parasail. It is high desert back country for certain.

The drive from Warner Valley is over established gravel/dirt roads and will take several hours regardless of what you drive. I wouldn't suggest low sports car but there really isn't much too demanding other than perhaps a little mud wash here & there. A public hot springs is on the map at Hart Mountain. This is low-density visitor area. Take all supplies you may need, but an ample store at French Glen and perhaps a room at the old stage stop will be open. It's about an hour on pavement to Bend, and 26 miles W back to Riley & 395.

email if you need more enthusiastic direction.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9874 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
French Glen

Thanks! Will look into it.

I have a GS300 with aftermarket suspension that lowers it about 1-2" from stock (although who knows where it is now given 17 years of use). It didn't do too well on a recent trip off 395 heading south. But I haven't been able to purchase a more suitable vehicle yet (still figuring out what to get and raising finances).

Is this going to be okay for the area? Or am I possibly going to get stuck?

Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
it's hard to get stuck in E Oregon in dry season without really trying. Mainly avoid obvious old washes/ruts/standing water. I made it fine in 2 wheel pick up.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9874 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
my buddy runs UP the Steens Mtn to the top on a marathon once a year end of July. That's a separate loop from Hart Mtn- Antelope. Check with local BLM/forest service for road conditions. If they aren't covered with snow, most likely you'll make it thru with what you got. Clearance for such as horse trailers is typical functional goal whether you have pavement or not.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
~SIGforum advisor~

Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
That is a beautiful area in the Steens. First trip in we went about 2 miles before we encountered wild mustangs. Wishing I had a good camera.
Not so sure I'd take the GS in unless you're feeling adventurous, but you could always test the waters and try.
Crack in the ground is a little farther, but another very cool feature to check out.
Make sure your cooler is stocked this time of year as it can be dry & hot.

Cheers~

Posts: 922 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slyguy:
That is a beautiful area in the Steens. First trip in we went about 2 miles before we encountered wild mustangs. Wishing I had a good camera.
Not so sure I'd take the GS in unless you're feeling adventurous, but you could always test the waters and try.
Crack in the ground is a little farther, but another very cool feature to check out.
Make sure your cooler is stocked this time of year as it can be dry & hot.

Cheers~

Thanks. Okay - yea, I think I got lucky in avoiding getting stuck on the last trip. Don't want to press my luck to much more. Smile

Need to bottom out on what to buy and get the funds raised. I think I'm settled on the 4runner but still not sure which trim and which features. Not planning rock climbing per se; mostly just don't want to get stuck in soft / bumpy terrain.

Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not planning rock climbing per se; mostly just don't want to get stuck in soft / bumpy terrain.

understand; lots of 4runner/forester/outback/larger SUV/pick ups resident in this country.
Road graders have been spotted from time to time; there is no 'rock climbing' etc needed if you stay on the more-or-less right of way.

In your map search, check out the 0-0 Ranch Road; it runs from just east of Riley to SE down to intersect with the pavement out of Frenchglen. Interesting drive, as mostly it's just locals and ranches now & then. I pulled my 23' camper trailer with 2 wheel drive Chev truck with no issues; pretty flat, graveled mostly & a lot of dust at certain times.

I hope you do find a way to Frenchglen at least. The grade to summit of the loop Steens Mtn road is usually well graded at least after the snow plows break through. There's camp at the bottom, and one at Fish Lake up about 15 miles; then another about 10-12 to the summit. Worthy scenery and not all that challenging. The challenge is the other side of the loop road coming down on the inside portion of the 'Big Indian Valley' or whatever they call it these days. Bring good glass along and a decent camera and be ready for wild life.

In essence, a very unique outdoorsy experience without walking, being lost or stuck, and easily returning to pavement when you tire of the gravel.

The Milky Way there at night is overwhelming.

If this isn't your cup of tea, I know other little side trips if you need more urging.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
~SIGforum advisor~

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Will definitely look into it and consider it as potential for itinerary. And if not this trip, definitely once I get the 4Runner.

I'm planning to spend a lot more time along the 395 corridor making my way up to couer d'alene (want to check it out still as possible retirement).

I should look into out of state chp for OR; need to find a county with an accommodating sheriff.

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Make damn sure your rig has a good AC unit. Take at least three spare tires if you are getting off pavement. That is just for starters. If you are looking for high end hotels you are heading to the wrong place.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19776 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post