SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Major security flaw in Intel chips >>>>>>
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Major security flaw in Intel chips >>>>>> Login/Join 
posted
So the security patch slows the chip down anywhere from 5-30%. That is big for some people. I wonder if Intel will be sued for this ? I also wonder if Intel is still laughing and thumbing their nose at AMD because of Intel being #1 and AMD #2 ? God Bless Smile

http://money.cnn.com/2018/01/0...-security/index.html

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Apple should have stuck with RISC technology.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39762 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One True IcePick
Picture of eyrich
posted Hide Post
Apple says the iPhones are effected also.
those are ARM RISC

Posts: 859 | Location: IL | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It's not just Intel. It apparently affects Intel, AMD, and ARM processors. It's just the risk is greatest to Intel chips.

Posts: 32522 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're supposed to replace the chip to completely eliminate the threat. Replace them with what, exactly? An abacus?

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2071 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whanson_wi:
You're supposed to replace the chip to completely eliminate the threat. Replace them with what, exactly? An abacus?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30694 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whanson_wi:

A newly made processor without the flaw, once they're designed and released.

Posts: 32522 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
What do you think is behind the CISC microcode? It's all RISC at the gate level.

Posts: 6487 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
I just read a story that said updating the software is enough to fix it.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
I just read a story that said updating the software is enough to fix it.

I think the software fix is what causes the slow down in performance. The hardware flaw creates a security hole. To plug the hole, the software patch resolves the security hole at the expense of performance.

Posts: 3954 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Conspiracy hat = ON

Was this really a flaw....or gubmint back door??

Better yet.....the replacement "FIX" chip contains the real gubmint back door! Wink

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4580 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:

It isn’t just Apple products that are affected.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
It's not just Intel. It apparently affects Intel, AMD, and ARM processors. It's just the risk is greatest to Intel chips.

From what I've read the threats (Meltdown Spectre is what I believe they are called) have not been observed in real life - only theoretical.
I could be wrong but that is what I've gathered.
Plus a computer must already be vulnerable enough to have malicious "code" installed whatever that might be > THEN it is possible for the attack to succeed.
If all of that is so then this has been quite over-hyped.
Confused

Posts: 22918 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimineer:
I think the software fix is what causes the slow down in performance. The hardware flaw creates a security hole. To plug the hole, the software patch resolves the security hole at the expense of performance.

I don't have much of a choice unless I want to replace the chip in every desktop and laptop I own.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I read that one hole involves a form of "Speculative prefetch" that loads predicted passwords and account info into the processor memory in anticipation of it's need. Negating this process could potentially slow the thru put down I suppose, but 30% seems a bit much to me.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

From what I've read the threats (Meltdown Spectre is what I believe they are called) have not been observed in real life - only theoretical.
I could be wrong but that is what I've gathered.
Plus a computer must already be vulnerable enough to have malicious "code" installed whatever that might be > THEN it is possible for the attack to succeed.
If all of that is so then this has been quite over-hyped.
Confused

I think the new bug was discovered by researchers fairly recently. So potential attackers were unaware of the security hole - until the leak of the bug got out before software could be patched.
From what I’m reading most of us won’t see the slowdown and the problem will impact large server type applications.

One does have to wonder if some researcher stumbled upon a backdoor.

Posts: 3954 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimineer:

I don't have much of a choice unless I want to replace the chip in every desktop and laptop I own.

Chances are you'll need to change your motherboard. Doubt they'll manufacture chips that will work with old motherboards.

Posts: 13049 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
I read that one hole involves a form of "Speculative prefetch" that loads predicted passwords and account info into the processor memory in anticipation of it's need. Negating this process could potentially slow the thru put down I suppose, but 30% seems a bit much to me.

RMD

Speculative prefetch and speculative execution aren't about passwords and account info. Basically any time the processor has to decide a branch it loads the data for both branches and in some cases executes instructions for both branches before deciding which branch is the "right" one. It uses idle clock cycles in spaces between instruction executions on the different branches. In some highly performance-specific applications the performance hit could be WORSE than 30%.

EVERY processor that is remotely concerned with performance does speculative prefetch and speculative execution.

The exploits are about a way to get user programs to access OS data that has been prefetched into the cache in certain processors. Actually getting the right data loaded into the cache and then getting it out in a usable way is not trivial, though.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
If the performance hit via security fix is true, business servers & data centers are going to be affected in a huge way!! Eek

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4336 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
It uses idle clock cycles
Years ago, I was on a consulting contract, supporting mainframe computers at a major customer's site.

During a meeting, somebody brought up the fact that certain usage reports showed more CUP time than wall clock time, and asked how that could be.

I was aware of the glitch in the reports -- somebody in the OS development group had made a math error when coding the calculations for the report, and the error had been caught and the fix was integrated in the next release of the OS.

Somehow, my mouth got ahead of my brain, and I started to explain the VTOS (Virtual Time Operating System) that they were running: the instruction fetch hardware looked ahead, realized that there were CPU cycles that were not going to be used in the middle of the night next week, so it used them as needed during current periods of heavy load.

I almost sold that concept.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30694 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post