SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Of hard boiled eggs and heaven
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Of hard boiled eggs and heaven Login/Join 
posted
I share this in hopes that others might find comfort in knowing that they are not alone.

At the age of sixty six I find myself confronting the fact that I may never know the feeling, in my life time of enjoying the perfect hard boiled egg of my own making.

After four dozen eggs ,a dozen attempts , with six different recipes , hours of peeling by five different methods,
The perfect peeled hard boiled egg escapes me.

I've purchased them, I know they exist as I've eaten those made by friends and family.

Small, medium, large, XL,jumbo,
Makes no difference,
All have succumbed to my wrath.

My very best number five, but even those were 45% acceptable at very best.

Two dozen appeared to have been peeled by bells palsy patients wielding pick axes.

Oh the eggs are very edible ,
The cooking is not the concern by any means.

But for those who add appearance to their culinary experience along with taste and texture,
I am but a starving artist ,for good reason.

Cook books in paper and on line are here nor there as all my poor eggs are at best , on a good day great in the mouth but
when they look like

They have been peeled with a #8 load of bird shot from a .410,
any appeal diminishes very rapidly.

So I say to Saint Peter ,
When that time comes , when all the boxes are being checked off for my possible acceptance through your golden gates,
Know now that
If in fact
Perfect hard boiled eggs account for more
Than 2% of the acceptable passing grade ,

Just start waving me off well ahead of my final approach.

Be it slight of hand magic or science of matter in the universe take pity on those of us and our inabilities.

" A man has got to know his limitations"

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54647 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I have heard that putting some baking soda in the boil will make them peel easy and smooth. But I never remember when I go to make some

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
People will come in here with twenty ways to do it with most of them taking so long I’m already eating before they have their eggs out of the water.

Get fresh eggs and by putting them in the cooker below they are standing on end. I put the more pointy end facing down so the larger more rounded end is up and doesn’t quite fill all the way to the egg shell. That way you have a hollow airspace to start cracking. It makes it easy to crack the shell without damaging the egg. Then you can grab the membrane that is between the hard boiled egg and the shell. Once you start pealing that the shell will almost slip right off.

I want you in good standing with St. Peter so buy one of these and you’re golden.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08P...=&sprefix=egg+cooker

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Bath of cold ice water right from cooking 'em makes peeling simple here.

If we don't simply boil in a pan, we use a Dash 6-egg rapid cooker. Perfect Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16223 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The perfect boiled egg eluded me for years. I'm 8 years older than you so you still have time to get the process down.

Posts: 934 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I've done tried to make them in the fancy digital pressure cooker that now sits in a coat closet. I followed the directions and they weren't hardly parboiled. Runny as hell.

St. Peter will send me down even though I can't even to manage deviled eggs.

Posts: 7358 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I am so in the same boat as you. I love hard boiled eggs but could not cook them right to save my life.
My stepmother bought me these things and they actually work decently but time consuming with clean up and prep.
https://www.asseenontvlive.com/product/eggies/

Sam’s just recently started selling hard boiled eggs for $6.50 a dozen. Delicious and worth every penny as there is zero prep.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25426 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyanide357
posted Hide Post
Had good success with this.

Similar to what was already posted. Holding tray has a spike part where you breach the shell on one end (air sack). Most eggs peal very nicely.

That said, the age of the eggs does seem to play a factor. Don’t recall if fresher or older were supposed to be better.

Posts: 250 | Registered: November 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Those plastic containers don't work with egg sticking to the container.

I cook mine in water with heat on low and when the water starts to boil, seven minutes to get a soft yolk.

Drop the egg on the counter top many times and use a butter knife to pry the shell off. Older eggs shell easier.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I prefer soft boiled eggs which I make in my old stovetop pressure cooker. (Pressure cooking reduces the shell-egg adhesion.)

Here are eggs & soldiers (the narrow strips of buttered toast).

Photos or it didn’t happen. Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8959 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two day old, week old two and three week old eggs.

In my hands
There are fatalities in the end.

They are so much handier than frying one egg up , in the morning.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54647 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used Alton Browns' method with much success. You can Google Alton Brown Hard boiled eggs for a video.

Basically you bring 1/2" of water in a pan to a boil, turn heat down to keep a low boil, put a steamer basket in the pan with 4 eggs. When you see steam coming up , cover and time for twelve minutes. When time is up transfer eggs into ice water bath for five minutes. Remove eggs and peel after rolling on flat surface to break up shell. Best HB eggs I have ever had, no green ring between white and yolk. Never had a failure using this method.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2891 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
1. Steam them in 1/2" or less of water for 11 minutes. I just place them directly in the pan, no steamer basket.
2. Place in cold water when done
3. Use older eggs not fresh

The shell comes right off. I usually use a spoon to slide under the shell and lift it off.

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BlackTalonJHP:
1. Steam them in 1/2" or less of water for 11 minutes. I just place them directly in the pan, no steamer basket.
2. Place in cold water when done
3. Use older eggs not fresh

The shell comes right off. I usually use a spoon to slide under the shell and lift it off.

This right here...for the most part.

I use a steamer basket because putting a room temp or cold egg in the water will stop the good boil. Putting the egg(s) in the basket will allow the water to continue to boil/steam. And, I go 13 minutes in a covered rolling boil steam.

The membrane on older eggs is much less adherent to the inside of the shell.

Posts: 20108 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My experience:

• Boil eggs any length of time you choose
  • When done, immediately place eggs in ice bath for about 5-10 minutes
  • Immediately peel eggs

I hope this helps. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
That egg cooker looks interesting, but I had to laugh at these:

“Make omelets, boiled and poached eggs...the possibilities are endless!”

“No more sticking your fingers in boiling water to peel eggs!”

Posts: 10950 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
After many many years of having mixed results with stove top cooking in a pot of boiling water I've happily discovered another use for the InstaPot.

2 minutes for the perfect soft boil, 3 minutes for a firmer egg.

Perfect. Try it.

Posts: 11847 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Hard boiled eggs smell (and burned microwave popcorn smell). These are the things of the place which is not heaven. How people eat such, is on my "life's biggest mysteries" list. Wink

Posts: 11389 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
Those plastic containers don't work with egg sticking to the container.

You have to coat the inside with Pam or some nonstick spray pretty liberally.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25426 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
After many many years of having mixed results with stove top cooking in a pot of boiling water I've happily discovered another use for the InstaPot.

2 minutes for the perfect soft boil, 3 minutes for a firmer egg.

Perfect. Try it.

^^^^ this. I go a minute or 2 longer and into cold water.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3853 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post