SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dem-led Austin TX is challenging Portland OR
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dem-led Austin TX is challenging Portland OR Login/Join 
Barbarian at the Gate
Picture of Belwolf
posted Hide Post
Interesting: Court rules Tent cities are legal

Don't know if that ruling is binding to Texas, but the supreme Court needs to step in and make a decision. I don't believe government has a duty to provide housing for homeless people.

“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”
― John Adams

"Fire can be our friend; whether it's toasting marshmallows, or raining down on Charlie."
- Principal Skinner.

Posts: 4363 | Location: Thonotosassa, FL | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxdog:
Seems I recall that the ledge just passed a new law that grants the state govt the power to remove local elected officials that don’t do their jobs. It seems aimed at DAs who fail to hold arrested criminals or otherwise enforce the law. The Austin (Travis County) DA is a cop hating leftist who lets criminals out on no bail or reduced bail. He’s just one leftist pol who has turned Austin into “Fecal City”.

When the ledge is in session every 2 years, the ledge members have to live temporarily in the area unless they’re close enough to commute, so the state ledge members get to experience fecal city on a personal level.

Wonder if the Gov will have the will to remove the Austin mayor and city counsel members for failure to maintain a livable city? Doubt it. I can see the Gov making an example of the Austin, Houston or SA area DA’s. It should generate a political “fecal weather event” if it happens along with the requisite cries of fascism, totalitarianism and death of democracy by the GDCs.

The state just took control of the Houston School district due to failures to meet standards, although that was under previously enacted powers related to schools. A storm of protest is rising from teachers and
the GDC community.

I live in the Hill Country about 25 miles away. I have to go to Austin sometimes. I watch where I step.

The governor of Texas cannot remove the mayor of a city. This would step all over democracy (remember, mayors and DAs are elected), and make the governor something a lot closer to a dictator.

The HISD thing is different as the Education Code has codified how and when that can happen. And how the school district is run until it goes back to normal.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post