SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    GMRS vs UHF/VHF mobile radio for road trips and emergency comms
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GMRS vs UHF/VHF mobile radio for road trips and emergency comms Login/Join 
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted
I'm considering a mobile radio with more oomph than my HT's for rv trips and emergency comms. I have the license for both GMRS and HAM technician. Also, I only work about 3 miles from home, and would like either to reach home in case cell service was down like it was during Ike.

Which would be a better choice for this intended use? Looking at 50w radios in both categories.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tigereye313,

Posts: 11362 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
GMRS is probably less expensive to get set up (it's been a LONG time since I've done any mobile radio stuff). A ham VHF setup CAN give you a lot longer range, but that's dependent on the availability of repeaters. And (IMO) whatever happens that takes the cell service down, is likely to take the repeaters down with it. IIRC there is one section of the ham 10 meter HF band that a Technician can use; that would give you more range without a repeater than VHF would, but would be a more complicated (and undoubtedly more expensive) installation both in your vehicle/RV and at home. All that said, if 3 miles is the longest distance you're going to need to cover, VHF simplex will do that easily without a repeater given a 50W output.

Also, GMRS will be more free-form in terms of operating procedures than ham, so it would be easier for your family back at home to learn to use.

For the use you described, I'd go with GMRS.

Posts: 7271 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I have both as well. I prefer GMRS for both use cases you've specified, simply because you can hand a family member a cheap handheld, tell them what channel number and go. Any friends you travel with can easily get their own license as well.

The technician exam isn't hard, but it's a real barrier for someone that just isn't that interested and paying $35 for a GMRS license is a much easier sell.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3516 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
All that said, if 3 miles is the longest distance you're going to need to cover, VHF simplex will do that easily without a repeater given a 50W output.

It'll do it easily with a 5W output.

If you have your heart set on 50W, you're looking at a vehicle mounted unit which I would discourage as should you need to leave the vehicle and hoof it you're out of luck.

As has been mentioned, consider who you will be wanting to converse with and whether or not they are Ham licensed as well. In a SHTF scenario, who cares? But, if not, that'd be a no-no otherwise.

Best case? Upgrade to General and go HF. Wink Short of that, GMRS is probably your best option unless the folks you are wanting to talk to are also Hams, then go with a good quality 5W HT and pick up a repeater directory (Amazon has several offerings).

Posts: 20120 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
We tried to connect with our 5W GMRS HT's from work to home. Too many obstructions I suppose. At least I could call home with the extra wattage.

Posts: 11362 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
GMRS is UHF so comparing it to HAM UHF is a wash.

GMRS allows your family to use your license as well so go with it. You'll find more GMRS users on the highway due to the easier licensing, in case of emergencies.

I'm a licensed HAM and GMRS and I'd choose GMRS if I had to pick one.

Posts: 4987 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Do any GMRS handhelds actually put out 5 watts? I think my Motorolas and Midlands are 3 watts on high.

Posts: 10974 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Do any GMRS handhelds actually put out 5 watts? I think my Motorolas and Midlands are 3 watts on high.

Yes, there are many 5-watt GMRS HT's. Three of my favorites, depending on your budget...

Wouxun KG-UV9GX GMRS Two-Way Radio & SHTF Scanner

Wouxun KG-S88G GMRS Two Way Radio

RADIODDITY GM-30 GMRS RADIO

While I don't like it as well as the others this is a very popular GMRS radio and a good option...

Wouxun KG-935G Plus GMRS Two Way Radio

Posts: 4987 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
We tried to connect with our 5W GMRS HT's from work to home. Too many obstructions I suppose. At least I could call home with the extra wattage.

The antenna is your problem... any way to get an external antenna attached to your HT? 5 watts is plenty to talk three miles with the right antenna and height.

I can talk to my buddy on my HT 15 miles away with only 2 watts connected to an external antenna. Put the stock antenna back on and can't reach across the neighborhood.

Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Have the Midlands with a fixed antenna. Thought high was 5w, but may have to go back and look.

Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Went back and looked and apparently ours max out at 2.5w on high. :/

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
I'm considering a mobile radio with more oomph than my HT's for rv trips and emergency comms. I have the license for both GMRS and HAM technician. Also, I only work about 3 miles from home, and would like either to reach home in case cell service was down like it was during Ike.

Which would be a better choice for this intended use? Looking at 50w radios in both categories.

Where do you intend to RV? In Texas only, nearby states, etc?

Texas has a pretty extensive DMR network (dmrtexas.net) of repeaters mostly on UHF. Look at the Anytone 578 mobile radios for reference. DMR would be good if you travel in Texas. Oklahoma is pretty well covered with DMR and a network of linked UHF analog FM repeaters (southwest Kansas to northwest/west Arkansas to southern Oklahoma to OKC).

GMRS is taking off in the northeast Oklahoma area with several GMRS repeaters. California as well. Maybe others. Google GMRS Texas. There may be GMRS repeaters in your area or you could put one in your backyard.

I guess the point is to look at the geographic regions you want operate in and see what’s got the most support.

Yaesu has Fusion (digital mode as is DMR) and there are areas with lots of Fusion repeaters that are linked to repeaters across the country. Texas has good coverage for Fusion I think.

When you talk VHF/ UHF you almost have to consider the digital modes available in addition to analog FM.

Personally I do DMR or Fusion and get GMRS as well. I have them all and use them all.

For GMRS home unit ignore the fixed antenna HTs. Get an HT like the UV9GX and a sma to SO239 jumper and connect it to coax and an outdoor antenna on a 20 ft pole. Better yet get a 50w mobile GMRS for home and car. The antenna is key either way.

Posts: 3954 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
I am still somewhat new to the GMRS world, so I carry both GMRS and good 'ol CB radios.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2841 | Location: Marana, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
If using HT"s on one or both ends would suggest a aftermarket antenna that possibly have a better gain factor which should enhance performance. ...Also just because a particular radio is advertised as having a certain rf power output does not mean that is what is actually happening.... Battery not fully charged also can hurts performance... External antennas can greatly enhance performance be they HT"s or mobile installations. GMRS vs Ham is whatever melts your butter. And during emergency communications sometimes the rules of the game get thrown out the window and under the bus. ... Entire antenna system is 90% of your station be it HT"s or mobile or home base. .........drill sgt. aka KL7JIU.

Posts: 2014 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridgerat:
I am still somewhat new to the GMRS world, so I carry both GMRS and good 'ol CB radios.

I was wondering if anyone was going to mention CB radios for this 3 mile haul. It's an option. May not be a good option for several reasons, but it's an option.

Turns out, depending on the terrain and other factors CB frequencies (27 MHz) could actually have some advantages (and possibly some disadvantages). YMMV. A big YMMV Smile

Of course, on the wrong day you may hear that CB'er 800 miles away and not hear anything 3 miles away due to noise level. It is for this reason (and others) that it's a bad option.

If nothing else, it's entertaining to listen to Wink

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Range is hugely dependent on a lot of factors besides power output and antenna.

With no external interference, no obstacles, and nothing for signals to reflect off of and cause interference (e.g., out in the middle of deep space), depending on transceiver specs and antenna, the theoretical maximum range of even 1W in the ham VHF band or GMRS band is hundreds if not thousands of miles. (On Earth, of course, even in an area with few obstructions like an empty plain or on the ocean, past a certain distance the Earth itself becomes an obstacle as the the person you are trying to talk to drops below the horizon.)

There are a LOT of conditions (urban areas, hilly/mountainous areas, dense woods) where reliable HT-to-HT communication at 3 miles is a fantasy.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
Range is hugely dependent on a lot of factors besides power output and antenna.

With no external interference, no obstacles, and nothing for signals to reflect off of and cause interference (e.g., out in the middle of deep space), depending on transceiver specs and antenna, the theoretical maximum range of even 1W in the ham VHF band or GMRS band is hundreds if not thousands of miles. (On Earth, of course, even in an area with few obstructions like an empty plain or on the ocean, past a certain distance the Earth itself becomes an obstacle as the the person you are trying to talk to drops below the horizon.)

There are a LOT of conditions (urban areas, hilly/mountainous areas, dense woods) where reliable HT-to-HT communication at 3 miles is a fantasy.

This is why I mentioned antenna and height. A good antenna with some height will overcome most of what you reference. Even a little height (on top a vehicle) helps a lot.

Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
I just ordered a Slim Jim antenna for my Kenwood HT the other day. Smile

Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
We mostly RV in Texas. It was our recent trip to Big Bend that got me thinking about having a little more powah. Lots of no cell service out there.

Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
I've got a 50w mobile unit in my jeep.
I can get about 1 mile down the road before reception goes to complete garbage.
I figure it's due to all the hills/brush/trees/houses in the way.
(yes I know the 50w is on transmit. The person on the other side states that the signal goes to shit)

With regards to a more powerful handset, this isn't technically a GMRS radio (because it has more options), but it can function on those frequencies.

It goes up to 8w.

And it even has a fat battery.

Which can be charged via USB.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1543 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post