SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What do we like for anti-gel diesel additives (for low temperatures)?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do we like for anti-gel diesel additives (for low temperatures)? Login/Join 
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:
Use the Howes or Power Service. Read and understand the label, it will explain that low use rates are for summer the high rates are where your winter protection comes from, that is an important detail that is often missed.

Plan to arrive near your destination with A very low tank. Buy fuel locally and ask if they have a winterized fuel blend. Most truck stops have a blended fuel as well as straight fuel. If you see 2 pumps and one is expensive assume it’s the blended. Additive first then fill drive quite a distance to get the fuel throughout the system. Filter plug first, so you might change beforehand if you are getting close to maintenance time. I wouldn’t do it just because as they are stupid expensive and I’m not into waste.

Thanks for the advice. That was my plan. Try to arrive with a mostly empty tank, fill up with winterized diesel if available, but otherwise bring some anti-gel additive with me and mix into the tank. If I start the trip with diesel + anti-gel, and fill up with winterized diesel, then everything in the fuel lines, filter, and injectors should be safe for cold weather without the need to keep driving.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have learned to never trust the gel point of purchased fuel in all but the rarest of cases. It is so cheap and easy to just add an appropriate amount of antigel when you purchase fuel and there is no downside. Don't depend on the fuel supplier absent hard evidence (in the really cold areas I've been to the counter clerks off the top of their head can tell you the exact gel point of the fuel they are selling) but fuel suppliers make mistakes all the time and/or don't actually know or test. And you are not buying much fuel anyway so cost is not a consideration. Changing the filter before you get gelling does exactly zero so that's not a consideration, its jsut what clogs when it gels. If you are a mechanically inclined person and can change a filter it helps to have a spare when it all goes to hell for any number of reasons on diesel fuel and cold weather (gelling and water being the two big ones).

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11011 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Fair point. Guess I'll be adding anti-gel additive for the tank of fuel I start with and any other fuel I might purchase while I'm on my trip. No reason to trust that the fuel is "properly winterized" and the little bit of additive shouldn't cause any downside.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Go to You-Tube and watch the "Lets Find Out" comparison of diesel additives. That guys videos are the best . Real eye openers.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Add another user of Power Service products. I get it at Tractor Supply around here.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5689 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post