SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What do we like for anti-gel diesel additives (for low temperatures)?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do we like for anti-gel diesel additives (for low temperatures)? Login/Join 
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted
I have a Land Rover Discovery with a 3.0L turbo diesel engine. Although I have owned it a couple of years, I've not taken it into cold weather.

My wife is planning a trip to Yosemite this January. It's not particularly cold there, likely lows in the 20's--but we'll be staying in a cabin outside of the valley which may potentially mean a few thousand feet of elevation gain and possible overnight temps in the single digits. A garage may or may not be available.

Because I am driving from Southern California, the diesel fuel here is not winterized. I think it would be prudent to winterize the fuel myself with an anti-gelling additive for the tank of fuel I start my trip with. I presume diesel fuel that I find up there will be properly winterized for the climate.

So, with that in mind, does anyone have a brand of anti-gelling diesel fuel additive they'd like to recommend?

Posts: 13064 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Given the chemistry involved I don't think it matters much who, so much as just adding what you need. I happen to like stanadyne winter since they make fuel pumps, but its sometimes problematic to find. but I have used power service since a zillion years and it has never an issue. And all the long haul people I know swear by Howes.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11178 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
FWIW we use Power Service Diesel supplement anti-gel in all of our fire apparatus in the wintertime.

This is the bottle:

Posts: 6400 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Fifteen years long haul, always used Howes. It worked fine in Williston ND one winter when it got down to -38. I literally had to light a propane stove under the truck to get it started, but the fuel wasn’t gelled. Oil was like peanut butter.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8277 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honor and Integrity
posted Hide Post
My first recommendation would be the Diesel All-In-One from AMSOIL. I say that only because I'm an Independent AMSOIL Dealer. Between Howes and PS, I would go with Howes only because it has better lubricating properties for the fuel system. However, the quart bottles are difficult to pour into the fill neck, and measure the proper ratio of additive to fuel capacity. Stanadyne is also an excellent choice, but is not readily available.

Posts: 2240 | Location: Fitchburg, WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Fifteen years long haul, always used Howes. It worked fine in Williston ND one winter when it got down to -38. I literally had to light a propane stove under the truck to get it started, but the fuel wasn’t gelled. Oil was like peanut butter.

Always used Howe's in my diesel converted Land Rover Series 1 Discovery with 2.8L Powerstroke.

Also, for my 97 Ram 2500 Cummins 12V. Even with the hideously cold winters we had in 2014/2015, fuel was always fine.

Best prices found were at Menards.

The big bottles are a little tricky to pour, but not the end of the world. As for measuring, always just eyeballed it and erred on the side of more. The directions say it's not a concern to dose too heavily and they also have a tow guarantee.

Posts: 4918 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the Opti-Lube product line -

https://opti-lube.com/diesel-fuel-additives/

Posts: 5030 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
FWIW we use Power Service Diesel supplement anti-gel in all of our fire apparatus in the wintertime.

This is the bottle:

Power Service makes EXCELLENT products. I've used them in yachts for over 10 years.......You REALLY want to consider getting a block or pan heater installed. Regardless of the the fuel not gelling, the oil and cylinders will be very cold and think it would be hell to get it started, once cold in those temperatures.

Posts: 21417 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies everyone. Nice to have people chime in with first hand experience.

Posts: 13064 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I used to be a partsman in a commercial truck dealership, GM & Isuzu. We sold Power Service products exclusively.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8405 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is the bottle:

This is what I use in my pickup. We've had temps getting down past -20F. I also carry a bottle of Power Service 911 (red bottle) just in case it gels up, but in the 12 years I've had my pickup I've never had to use it.

Posts: 1820 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use that pictured white bottle Power Service in the winter and their gray bottle in the summer for my skid steer. I believe they are also the official recommended product of Cummins.

Posts: 91 | Location: MN | Registered: April 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShouldBFishin:
quote:

This is the bottle:

This is what I use in my pickup. We've had temps getting down past -20F. I also carry a bottle of Power Service 911 (red bottle) just in case it gels up, but in the 12 years I've had my pickup I've never had to use it.

This is good stuff Maynard!

Posts: 13718 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I am a Stanadyne fan but the PS works well also.

Another thing not mentioned is to be sure your battery is in top shape. Trying to start a diesel in cold weather will tax a battery.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6482 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I just saw a YouTube video from PROJECT FARM. They tested Diesel additives.
HotShot scored well.
They also tested Amsol 2cycle oil in the test. It did as well or better than the supplements in most categories including fuel gelling.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the Power Service Diesel Supplement (pictured) in my ‘95 Dodge with the Cummins 12V diesel every winter.

I suggest using some kind of supplement all year because the “clean” low sulphur diesel doesn’t lubricate the injectors like to older, unprocessed diesel did. As precise as injectors are (some parts can be measured in millionths of an inch) they really need their lubrication.

Posts: 2161 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
I have a Land Rover Discovery with a 3.0L turbo diesel engine. Although I have owned it a couple of years, I've not taken it into cold weather.

Have you checked the specs on it perhaps it had a block heater on it when you bought it, from what I've read LR doesn't put them on in the USA much though...

Posts: 24339 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Use the Howes or Power Service. Read and understand the label, it will explain that low use rates are for summer the high rates are where your winter protection comes from, that is an important detail that is often missed.

Plan to arrive near your destination with A very low tank. Buy fuel locally and ask if they have a winterized fuel blend. Most truck stops have a blended fuel as well as straight fuel. If you see 2 pumps and one is expensive assume it’s the blended. Additive first then fill drive quite a distance to get the fuel throughout the system. Filter plug first, so you might change beforehand if you are getting close to maintenance time. I wouldn’t do it just because as they are stupid expensive and I’m not into waste.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5237 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:

Have you checked the specs on it perhaps it had a block heater on it when you bought it, from what I've read LR doesn't put them on in the USA much though...

Yeah, if only I was so lucky. Block heater is available for the Canadian market, but not the USA market. Weird.

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris42:
I use the Power Service Diesel Supplement (pictured) in my ‘95 Dodge with the Cummins 12V diesel every winter.

I suggest using some kind of supplement all year because the “clean” low sulphur diesel doesn’t lubricate the injectors like to older, unprocessed diesel did. As precise as injectors are (some parts can be measured in millionths of an inch) they really need their lubrication.

I hadn't considered using a fuel additive year round.

A quick round of googling suggests that Costco (where I buy my diesel) has an additive package to their diesel which qualifies it as "top tier diesel." Hopefully that covers it.

https://www.costco.com/gasoline-diesel.html