SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Home Depot carried brand/model recommendation for new clothes washer, my budget is $600.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home Depot carried brand/model recommendation for new clothes washer, my budget is $600. Login/Join 
Picture of rangeme101
posted
HD warranty is replacing an electric GE clothes washer for us. the repair company couldn't repair it and requested replacement. so if approved we will have a $600 credit at HD hopefully this weekend. here is the story on the repairs, they don't know how to repair is the problem. it actually is fixable but they truly don't know how to repair it. sad, but hey now we get a new washer.....https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/4000046524

I really want to do just the $600 if I can. our budget is tight right now. would possibly consider going maybe another $100 if there is a certain model/brand that is just the mac daddy of all washers to get at HD for $700. but that $100 will also buy the extended warranty again, which we would rather have than a washer with a few more buttons. right now that would be the max we could add to it. we have gone 4 weeks with out a washer so if the credit comes through as planned we will be buying this weekend.

the wife really likes top loaders with manual controls, which the GE one was. you could set to auto and forget it or manually select all the cycles, temps and such. we really liked it and it washed well. I always used the auto and she liked the manual controls. sadly it only lasted 4yrs, thank goodness we did the 5 yr warranty. for $100 warranty on a $600 washer we will be coming out ahead on this.

I'm not brand loyal. though I would like an all USA made one but its not a must have. we just want one that will last 10yrs with minor or any repairs, if that even is possible in appliance world today. one that if it did break out of warranty a well seasoned handyman like myself can repair it with inexpensive cost parts.

thanks

I know we have appliance threads all the time. I know that Speed Queen is the one to get. but my credit will be a HD so Ill have to buy from HD.

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1310 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
American made Whirlpool-Maytag-Amana.

Good luck to you.

Posts: 11983 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with OKCGene, especially about Maytag. We bought a Maytag washer 21 years ago, repaired it once for $6.00 (Thank you, Appliance Brad!), it's now back to running great. Our Maytag gas dryer crapped out at 12 years, we replaced it with a Roper from Lowes (HD carries it as well -- be careful!) that caught something terminal at about 5 years old, limped it along for another year and replaced it -- with another Maytag.

There's a reason this guy's lonely:

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9367 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
We bought a Whirlpool Cabrio top loader about a year ago and have loved it. The 5.3 CF model is currently on sale at HD for $661 (regularly $899, though we paid around $600 on sale). A slightly smaller 4.8 CF model is $639. The versions with steam refresh are more usually, but they have a special on the 5.3 CF steam right now, too. It's $661 (regularly $1099), too.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Whi...-WTW8000DW/205792970

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Whi...-WTW8500DW/205595826

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2161 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
If you buy a Cabrio, get a REALLY good extended warranty, and expect to use it. A lot. Ask me how I know.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
When I researched washing machines a couple of months ago, HD had several Samsungs on incredible discounts, 60% off their "sticker." Yes, they are the models reputed to catch fire. Several appliance-knowledgeable folks I spoke with said that this event is nothing to worry about as long as you don't make a habit of overloading them. I went ahead and bought a Speed Queen for considerably more than your budget, and not from HD, but I was tempted by the much fancier Samsung models.

Posts: 6766 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StarTraveler:
We bought a Whirlpool Cabrio top loader about a year ago and have loved it. The 5.3 CF model is currently on sale at HD for $661 (regularly $899, though we paid around $600 on sale). A slightly smaller 4.8 CF model is $639. The versions with steam refresh are more usually, but they have a special on the 5.3 CF steam right now, too. It's $661 (regularly $1099), too.

My wife picked out this model of washer and dryer a few months ago when both of them went out a couple of weeks apart. Both the washer and dryer are fabulous, and she got them on sale, too.

Posts: 4558 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StarTraveler:

I actually eye balled this online today. I will get the warranty again. Since it seems any appliance today is only good for 3-5 years. Thanks.

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1310 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I've got a Maytag Bravos. Was consumer reports best buy. I wish I still had my 25 y/o one, worked better and actually rinsed things. F+%$ these HE pieces of crap. I don't care about paying 2¢ more a load for water. Just wash my stuff please.

P.S. Why not just buy one of the $350 ones from your appliance Tech? I hear those things never need service.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21108 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I don't care about paying 2¢ more a load for water. Just wash my stuff please.

Years ago I had a conversation with Appliance Brad in which he told me (IIRC) the water savings for He washers typically take about 13 years to pay off. The problem is He washers almost always reach their end of service before 11 years.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I don't care about paying 2¢ more a load for water. Just wash my stuff please.

Years ago I had a conversation with Appliance Brad in which he told me (IIRC) the water savings for He washers typically take about 13 years to pay off. The problem is He washers almost always reach their end of service before 11 years.

Perhaps, plus the detergent and electric savings are pretty good too.

I like the whirlpool and maytag ones.

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I just bought this Maytag a couple of months ago to replace a 25 year old Speed Queen that finally quit on me. It's been great, larger capacity and more efficient (in water use) than my old one.

Posts: 7400 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post