SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Planning my first motorcycle rally — would love to hear firsthand experiential guidance
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Planning my first motorcycle rally — would love to hear firsthand experiential guidance Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
Who — BMW Motorcycle Owners of America
What — MOA Getaway
When — 22 to 24 Apr
Where — Fontana NC
Why — I’ve never done this

Motorcycle is a 2013 BMW K1600GT. 7,200 miles. 2018 date code Michelin tires. Garmin GPS in dash.

Plan — rent a UHaul motorcycle trailer. Tow using 2013 GMC Sierra Denali HD the 500 miles from home to Fontana Village, NC. Bunk at hotel. Enjoy three days in the mountains with a few BMW fans as well as my wedding best man, his son, and his brother.

Roads are curvy. I’m going to do a bit of practicing beforehand in the Shenandoah hills. Bike will have new fuel pump (recall), new Stebel air horn, and new battery.

I don’t want to ride there. 500 miles is too far for a first major trip. And, I sure don’t want to be riding in darkness as I navigate to the hotel, on those curvy roads.

I imagine I’ll need a rainsuit. I have protective gear, Cardo Packtalk Black, etc.

The truck will give me space to bring all sorts of unnecessary stuff, and also give us (the four amigos) a vehicle to go out for dinner together after a day of riding.

I think I’ll ride the Tail of the Dragon, maybe on the last day. Need a T-shirt, hat, etc. Before then, I will try some less curvy roads. Last time I drove the Dragon, I got seriously carsick (October 2021).

So, what advice would you offer? Any equipment to bring for sure? Equipment to avoid packing? Spares to carry on the machine for the on bike excursions?

Any known restaurants, attractions, tourist traps in Fontana NC you’d recommend?

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Bring cash. Bring a folding chair that fits on your bike. Bring hydration. Bring sunscreen.

When I was doing such things, I had developed a sticker that was my "handle". Probably more common in far away places, but tagging places where you ride is common. I enjoy seeing everyone else's tags. It's like putting a sign up at the sign post forest on the Alcan. If you design and order something now, you can still get them in time. Some of my riding partners had stickers and I put them on the inside of one of my panniers.

The last time I did a MC trip to Fontana was in 2000, so everything has probably changed, not much advice I can give there. For riding advice...just ride your speed. Don't be pushed to go too fast by worrying about others. Pull over and wait a bit if you're blocking others from having fun. Check your tires a couple times a day, wear ALL the gear. Keep your head up and eyes looking ahead. Remember the basics. Lighten the bike up before the curvy ride. Good sunglasses are worth every penny.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never attended an MOA rally although as a new member, that's something that sounds interesting even though I currently don't own a BMW.

You've got a good bike for a trip like that and for the roads.

Stuff to bring for the riding portion of the trip: tire patch kit (make sure the kit uses vulcanized rubber versus rubber cement), a method of inflating a tire, basic tools, and that's probably about all you'll need for that type of trip other than riding gear, rain gear, and that sort of stuff.

You don't need to bring too much stuff, especially since you're trailering the bike and aren't camping.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Charge your battery and bring a battery tender/ jumper. Are you going alone? Ride with a friend if possible. Looks like you’ve got that part covered. I had a blast at my first vintage motorcycle rally at Norfolk/VA beach until my CB400 broke down in the middle of nowhere. It was still a great experience even with the bittersweet ending.

I’ll never forget my friend pulling a wheelie
on his HIGHLY modified Yamaha RD400 in the middle of our two row convoy right after the safety lecture. Big Grin

Prepare to make lots of new friends.

BMW rally…in my neck of the woods too, well not that far away. Tempting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21117 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
It’s been probably 5 years since I rode the Dragon, I really don’t like it. I prefer the Chereola Skyway. There are a lot of great rides in that area. If you ride 129 do it early at first light. Whatch your speed and be especially weary of other riders not maintaining their lane. Like other have said, plug kit, hat, sunblock/lip balm, camp chair, water. I carry a tool kit and Garmin in reach but I ride off road and remote sometimes.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3694 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Do the Foothills Parkway at the TN end of Deals Gap. Its relaxing and beautiful.
And the Cherohala Skyway. Its breathtaking.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15901 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Back when my wife and I rode regularly, we rode our BMWs to MOA national rallies, and to local BMW club rallies. The bikes were pretty well packed; we each carried a tent, two sleeping bags, and one kid, as well as spare clothing and camping stuff. It was a family affair. Fun days.

We also ran into some unplanned rallies while traveling. One summer, our vacation trip took us from the Chicago area (home of BMW MOA Charter Club # 3) to Nova Scotia. We stopped for lunch a a diner in a small town in Maine, came out after lunch and found a note on my wife's motorcycle with directions to a campground where the local BMW club was having a weekend rally / campout. We (wife and I) were given awards for longest distance ridden to attend, and another award for "most willing to go into town for another case of beer."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30697 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
Some tidbits from my experience --

Check the mileage, wear, and tread depth on your 4-year-old tires. You may be due for a new set. Tires are not cheap, especially at a rally site, and you may spend precious riding time waiting for your tires to be changed. I made that mistake ONCE.

Since you’re trailering/hoteling, you won’t have to carry much on the bike.

I like to use a Camelbak or similar water backpack while riding. BMW national rallies of the past were often held on the hottest day of the year. I also wear a Buff neck gaiter. I usually wear earplugs. Even with a helmet visor and a windscreen, I notice the wind noise after riding awhile.

https://www.aerostich.com/ (aka Riderwearhouse) sells lots of fine motorcycle gear.

Posts: 4820 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That is awesome V Tail. Stories like yours are what I like the most about the internet. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21117 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Glad you're going, have fun! Have you considered just riding there and staying in your tent at the rally site? You'll meet a lot more people and since you're on site you can enjoy a few beverages in the evening with new people.
A lot, if not most, ride to the rally even if it's far away. At the rally enjoy seminars, get out on some short rides, relax, and plan your route for the ride back.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7102 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
21°F here tonight and I’m all jelly…

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
Glad you're going, have fun! Have you considered just riding there and staying in your tent at the rally site? You'll meet a lot more people and since you're on site you can enjoy a few beverages in the evening with new people.
A lot, if not most, ride to the rally even if it's far away. At the rally enjoy seminars, get out on some short rides, relax, and plan your route for the ride back.

The rally is based at the Fontana Village cabins and hotel, not a campground. The hotel is hosting Friday and a Saturday evening parties, which are paid for by the registration fee of only $129. Hopefully there will be at least one good German bier. I don’t have any camping gear, and on this machine, it wouldn’t fit in the svelte luggage containers. In those, I can hold only items like tire patch kits, inflators, rain suit, battery jump box, etc.

Part of the journey for me now is learning how to trailer, so I can enjoy renting RV trailers this summer. So, trailering the BMW 1000 miles will also help me gain valuable experience.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Skyway!

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of good folks at an MOA rally. Go and have a great time. Yet another vote for the Skyway. Think linked, big sweeping turns vs the tight technical nature of The Dragon.

Posts: 1963 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It may seem daunting to ride, but there has to be a first time for every rider's first overnight ride. Make it this one!

Posts: 2486 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
quote:

The rally is based at the Fontana Village cabins and hotel, not a campground. The hotel is hosting Friday and a Saturday evening parties, which are paid for by the registration fee of only $129. Hopefully there will be at least one good German bier. I don’t have any camping gear, and on this machine, it wouldn’t fit in the svelte luggage containers. In those, I can hold only items like tire patch kits, inflators, rain suit, battery jump box, etc.

Part of the journey for me now is learning how to trailer, so I can enjoy renting RV trailers this summer. So, trailering the BMW 1000 miles will also help me gain valuable experience.

There is a campground there as well. It sits just below the falls. I have camped there several times. If you want alcohol take it with as I believe it’s a dry county.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3694 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Ride the dragon on a weekday before lunch. The idiots are seriously out in force after lunch and on weekends. 3 cars were destroyed last weekend alone, and it seems like they reset the record for fatalities every year lately.

Then there's always the slow traffic. The last time I was at the dragon on a bike I did one run both ways, and never once got over 15 mph the whole way.

Highway 28 and a few other roads in the area are good and have less traffic. As others have said, the Cherahola Skyway is fantastic. It's not as twisty, but the scenery is much better than the Dragon.

Raingear is hit or miss. It's nice to have, but if you wait to put it on until you hit the rain you might as well just skip it. If you put it on and it doesn't rain, you're going to be hot and uncomfortable depending on the time of year.

As far as towing, take it slowly with the trailer. You have way more truck than you actually need so that will be fine, but a small trailer is actually harder to drive than a big one in my opinion. Backing a small trailer is tough, and it may be so small you have a hard time seeing it behind the truck anyway. I have one small trailer that's a pain in the ass because I can't actually see what it's doing until it's so crooked I have to pull forward to recover it. You'll get it, but try to think ahead and leave yourself room so you don't get into a tight spot you have to back out of under pressure. It's really not much fun to have to back a trailer when you're just learning and have an audience to watch you screw it up.

Since you're planning on using the truck as a support vehicle, it might actually be nice to rent a slightly larger trailer so you can hook up one of the other bikes too if something goes wrong.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3516 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Lots of good advice, it's a great area, weekends are for the lookie-loo's from out of state in cars so weekdays are better.

The Dragon is fun, take your time, don't go all Isle of Man, from NC to TN you are on the inside lane next to the mountain, I prefer doing the route from TN to NC and ending at the Deals Gap Resort.

As stated 28 from Fontana to Stecoah to Franklin, the turns make the Dragon look tame, Take 64 south it's a better ride lots of curves, couple of waterfalls to stop and see head to the Highlands then over to Cashiers, up 107 to Webster, 74 back to 129 or jump on 28 again and the Fontana area

The Cherohala Skyway is a great ride, last time I was there the roads were well maintained.

You can jump on the Blue Ridge Parkway, just know that it has a low speed limit, and weekends is typically full, it's one way to get up to some cool higher elevation levels. Ride it at least to Balsam Overlook and take a picture of you and the bike at the Elevation sign of 6,053 ft.

Link BRP

Cherokee Valley is a good tourist area, over the mountains to Gatlinburg on 441 is a good ride, you'll get some elevation and nice turns. BBQ there for lunch and back over the mountain.

Wheels through Time in Waynesville/Maggie Valley is a must see, the owner recently passed, he was on TV for a while, some episodes with Wayne Carini of Chasing Classic Cars fame.

Link to Museum

Ride within your limits, have good tires, new brake pads, trust your ability, slow into curves.

Things to watch for are rocks/gravel on blind turns, decreasing radius turns, run a GPS that can show you the up coming route. Its a great area to ride.

Posts: 23489 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
quote:
Glad you're going, have fun! Have you considered just riding there and staying in your tent at the rally site?.....

OK it's not the MOA National I was thinking, rather a regional MOA getaway, nevertheless they do have tent sites there on site. But I can see the attraction of staying in a motel and it's right there on site among the activities.
You probably are, but I'll just ask anyway: are you familiar with tying down a motorcycle on a trailer?

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7102 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ride Tail of the Dragon early in the morning and on a weekday if possible. As the day drags on you get more and more idiots riding far to aggressive. Weekends are worse with more idiots and not only on bikes but cars also. Take your time and you'll be OK.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post