SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Carbon Monoxide
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carbon Monoxide Login/Join 
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
The house we are in has a generator transfer switch in the garage. The previous homeowner left a set of instructions that he typed up for operation.

One of the lines was to start generator, leave the side door open and open the garage door about a foot. In his mind this was enough ventilation.

Maybe in his mind it was enough. Not in my mind is it enough.

What the what!?!?! A generator installed in the garage??? No matter how many doors or windows you open that is dangerous as shit. It should have never passed inspection and I would have refused to install it if he contacted me regarding the install.

Is this a portable generator? If so just run it outside with a longer cord.

Generators can not be installed within 5' of any openings into the home, this includes vents and exhaust in addition to doors and windows.

Oh trust me, I read that and thought WTF was wrong with him too. I had a friend who was a plant maintenance man and he got me probably thirty foot of some heavy duty cord used in a plant. That got mated to plugs to the generator and the transfer switch.

Closest thing I did to "shadetree" was to take the dryer vent pipe apart that exits through the garage wall and ran the cord outside to the generator. That way I shut and locked the garage door.

BTW from what I was told by the Realtor the previous owner was an engineer......(no offense to engineers on the forum)

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8405 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by mke229:
Great reminder. I'll add that you should keep the CO detectors low to the ground (ie. bedroom detector lower than the bed) as CO is heavier than air and will build from the floor level up.

Where did you read that? All the instructions I read for mine said to place them higher up even the upstairs ones. Mine are above the door frames.

FACTS:

1) There's a myth that carbon monoxide alarms should be installed lower on the wall because carbon monoxide is heavier than air. In fact, carbon monoxide is slightly lighter than air and diffuses evenly throughout the room.
**You don't walk out of a smoke filled home, you crawl out. That's where the 'cleaner' air is located.

2) In order to ensure that your home has maximum protection, it's important to have a CO detector on every floor. Five feet from the ground. Carbon monoxide detectors can get the best reading of your home's air when they are placed five feet from the ground. Near every sleeping area.

3) If you live in a multi-story home, be sure to place at least one carbon monoxide detector on each level. If your furnace is located in the basement, be sure to place a CO detector there, as well. Likewise, if you have a gas clothes dryer, put an alarm in the laundry room.

4) Every home with at least one fuel-burning appliance/heater, attached garage or fireplace should have a carbon monoxide alarm. If the home has only one carbon monoxide alarm, it should be installed in the main bedroom or in the hallway outside of the sleeping area.

5) Carbon monoxide is a by-product of combustion, present whenever fuel is burned. It is produced by common home appliances, such as gas or oil furnaces, gas clothes dryers, gas ranges, gas water heaters or space heaters, fireplaces, charcoal grills, and wood burning stoves.

6) The first symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include:

•Chest tightness or shortness of breath.
•Tiredness.
•Nausea.
•Confusion.
•Headaches.
•Dizziness.

Quality 'LOW LEVEL' CO Detectors:

http://coexperts.com/products/...new-model-pgb-2017r/

http://www.defenderdetectors.com/ll6070.html

https://www.myhomecomfort.org/...de-monitor-nsi-3000/

Posts: 10061 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post