SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My rump needs a new chair
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My rump needs a new chair Login/Join 
Caught in a loop
posted
I bought a cheap gaming chair off Amazon (shipped out of the warehouse I used to do IT in, funny enough) last year and it's already dead-ish.

I would like to invest in a better chair as I now work from home and do a LOT of sitting.

I know I love the Recaro seats in the Mustang, and wuold be elated to put something like that in my office. I saw Recaro does make desk chairs - anyone got some experience? I'd love to have the seat experience without having to break out the welder and fabricate something.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3354 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Recaro does make desk chairs

Now you got my attention.
Watching ....

Posts: 22925 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Like Duck fat, Mesh makes all the difference, airflow is key to comfort, not inexpensive...

Herman Miller Aeron Link

Posts: 23504 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I'm sure that there are many options. Over the past couple of decades of office work, I still largely favor my Aeron for working. I'm sure there are newer, improved models now.

I find a LOT of offerings like this available cheaply on CL around here.

ETA: HRK beat me to it.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12734 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I got one of these for my workstation. I'm very happy with it.

Nouhaus Chair

They make several other models as well at different price points.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Gaming chairs-Secret Lab or Vertagear get the best reviews

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Watching this. I've got a gaming chair I've been in the last x2 years or so. Uplift Standing Desk is arriving today.

Next thing will be a better chair.

I had watched this and some other vids by these guys:
We Picked The Best Office Chair For EVERY Price

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8856 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Like Duck fat, Mesh makes all the difference, airflow is key to comfort, not inexpensive...

Herman Miller Aeron Link

Just go to auction… Lots of businesses going under these days. You can pick these up at a fraction of the cost.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:

Herman Miller Aeron Link

Look on Craig-list for businesses that sell used Mirra or Aeron chairs. I bought two Mirras (10 years old but good condition) and an Aeron (like new condition) for $900.00.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31455 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:

Look on Craig-list for businesses that sell used Mirra or Aeron chairs.

I bought an Aeron listed on CL, it came with a sad story. A nice guy who lived well had bought the chair for a girlfriend who dumped him. Like new for under four bills. I had checked out other listings (St. Louis area) and they were all nightmares. Scam artists and clearly heinous individuals, scary people to be sure. Buyer beware.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8352 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
My wife was having back problems from her chair till we switched her to this chair. The frame rigidity and adjustments are fantastic. Only real flaw is the armrest front/back adjusters are too loose for me, but they work ok. She especially appreciated the seat base depth adjuster. It allows her to get just the right fit with the seat back support. I'd love to have one myself.

Paid $429 about 10 months ago so it's gone up by $20.

Posts: 7266 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hold on to your hat for this suggestion; www.neutralposture.com the 8000 series. I bought mine in leather in 2003 for about $1,500. Still have it and use it every day. The seat and back support is superb. The leather still looks new. My colleagues at work buy a new chair for $300 - $400 every few years. Mine will last until I retire.

Posts: 102 | Location: Southwest Fl | Registered: January 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yep, mesh all the way. Not only better for aeration, but it grips better. I actually hate leather and faux-leather chairs, even expensive ones. It's too slippery, you expend too much energy fighting the slip until your muscles tire out- kind of the exact opposite of resting.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16368 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:

Watching ....

If I had the cash this is how I would go.
All my boys had Recaro car seats.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25431 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aeron is a great way to go.

I work from home and sit for hours at the computer.

The chairs can be bought from Craig's list for $350 to $500.

Way less stiffness for me at the end of the day.

If you have a used office furniture store by you they should have dozens at a slighter higher price point.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Another Aeron vote, and I bought mine slightly used too.
There are others that are good I’m sure but these have a good parts supply too and will be supported for years.

Posts: 9527 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
Gaming chairs-Secret Lab or Vertagear get the best reviews

Secretlab Titan --> https://secretlab.co/products/...ries?sku=R22PU-Black

Extremely Comfortable, Extremely Well Built, Extremely Customizable, Extremely Ergonomic

It's extremely well engineered...I'm extremely impressed with this chair! Wink

Even the tool kit it comes with to assemble it is well engineered...The ONLY tools that came with anything I've ever purchased that I actually used Cool

ETA - I posted the following in a thread about this exact subject back on July 10, 2021:

quote:
The Secretlab Titan is a most impressive Chair! Wink

https://secretlab.co/collections/titan-series

Lots of styling options, came VERY Well packaged....VERY Well Made!

Secretlab has a few different model chairs. The Titan sits right in he middle size wise. Enough room to move around a little so you won't feel like your shoehorned into in a race car seat. The seat is firm and supportive, but not overly firm. It also comes with a memory foam neck pillow. Secretlab provides a 5-year 'Extended' Warranty and based on the quality of the construction, I expect it will last a long time.

I bought one for my son for his new Gaming 'Setup' back in January, and now I kinda' want one for my office as well. Cool

Check out the features of the entire line of Secretlab Gaming Chairs here --> https://secretlab.co/pages/2020

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...580033384#7580033384

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8922 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Wow, what a wealth of information. From the gist of the suggestions here, it looks like I'm going to have to pony up here.

SigForum is once again great at separating me from my money. Razz Big Grin

Another option that would also be fantastic for expanding my meager fabrication skills would be to buy a car seat and adapt it to a desk chair base. Looking on ebay it's not much less expensive, though it might be a fun project.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3354 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Any love for the X-chair?

Posts: 22925 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:

Watching ....

If I had the cash this is how I would go.
All my boys had Recaro car seats.

2/3 here.
Recaro stopped selling child seats in the US & they were crazy expensive to order from Europe when we looked.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15347 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post