SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help RogueJSK outfit his bachelor pad, Part 2 - Pots and Pans
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help RogueJSK outfit his bachelor pad, Part 2 - Pots and Pans Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted
Thanks for the suggestions on recliners in the other thread, so on to the next round:

I already have dinnerware, silverware, and high quality Wusthof knives. But the wife is getting the pots and pans.

So what's a good choice for a new set of non-stick cookware?

I'd prefer something in the $100-$300 range, but could be persuaded to go a bit higher if necessary.

T-Fal seems to get really good reviews, especially for how relatively cheap it is. Anyone have experience with those?

Posts: 32518 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Cuisinart has lifetime warranty on their nonstick.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
All-Clad non-stick were good. But I've very pleased with upper end Calphalon or whatever they carry at Costco. Good value. And I'll only buy two things: 8" and either a 10" or 12" pan. All other pans and pots are either cast iron or All-Clad (not non-stick). I use non-stick for sauces, eggs and fish. Everything else in a non non-stick. Which is misleading because nothing really sticks to the other pans either, especially after de-glazing.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12724 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
"ALL-CLAD"
Fits that range.

Oh - you said pot(S). That will get you only one.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4580 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
"ALL-CLAD"
Fits that range.

Oh - you said pot(S). That will get you only one.

Yeah... $100-$300 for a set, not per piece. Big Grin

Right now, I'm eyeing T-Fal or Calphalon, and leaning towards T-Fal. But I'm interested to hear what ya'll suggest.

Posts: 32518 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All Clad is having a seconds sale now, I believe.

ETA: https://homeandcooksales.com/

--K

Posts: 178 | Registered: January 27, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Cheap decent quality non-stick is the way to go. They don't stay non-stick forever, better to buy cheap and replace every few years. You only need two, large and small. The rest use stainless steel since you can scrub with green scrubber pads or Brillo.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/nHaiJ61C5vY

Links for pans:

12" pan $32

8" pan $20

No links for my stainless steel stuff it's 20 years old almost.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20827 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I make do with a 3pk Tramontina skillet pack from Costco, a large deep skillet Caphalon from Target, and an assortment of Revere Ware stainless pots from thrift shops.

Posts: 9968 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oregon
posted Hide Post
Aside from pots, I would recommend carbon steel pans for your non-stick cookware (unless you like sticking your pans in the dishwasher).

They are pretty low maintenance and can be found for cheap new. They also last almost as long as cast iron.

"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"
-Dr. Thaddeus Venture

Posts: 6086 | Location: PDX | Registered: May 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
My favorite is a 10" cast iron on the gas stove. Stove/oven/BBQ it works for all and is now non stick with fried eggs!!! I just bought am inexpensive Lodge. I have a flat skillet too that's great.

Bacon in the cast iron on the BBQ is so nice. The smell and mess is outside and the bacon grease helps season the cast iron.
Hot water and steel wool and it's as good as new.

Other wise we buy TFal from Bed Bath and Beyond on sale and scrap every 3 or 4 years.

Good silicone utensils will help too.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't recommend non-stick for pots. Just one pan will do, either 10" or, 12" pan, used for sautéing, eggs, seafood or, cheesy/creamy dishes. A smaller pan is nice if you're going to make eggs for yourself in the morning. Non-stick is temporary, figure 5-years before the coating starts to brown. If it browns that means it's been exposed to too high heat (never go over Medium) and/or, its worn. Don't spend more than $25 on a non-stick pan, use that Bed, Bath & Beyond coupon.

The rest, get stainless steel.
This is a budget set that will set you up for 95% of all cooking needs.

Clearly you can include or, add-to better pans or, specialty dishes. Larger pots, Dutch Oven, saute pan, etc...

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JasonATI
posted Hide Post
We were able to get a good deal from Cutlery and More, they have a great selection of brands and price ranges.

Posts: 429 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: October 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Now would be a great time to start a Cast Iron cookware collection... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8904 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
Do you have access to Sam's Club? Their "store brand" nonstick pans/skillets/griddles are made in the USA and are absolutely solid. You could buy a complete selection and still have money left over on your budget.

As our other-brands skillets are biting the dust, these are our replacements.

Posts: 2466 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prior to two months ago I had a farberware set mixed in with some Calphalon and Analon. 2 months ago I stumbled on a 10 piece ALL CLAD HA-1 set at Marshalls for $199 and bought it. I also found a loose, matching 12" skillet with a mis-matched calphalon lid for $40 and bought it at the same time. They are amazing, they absolutely blow away the Calphalon and Anolon stuff I had. The non stick is amazing, they're amazingly flat, they heat evenly from edge to edge, and the non stick nothing sticks to. Without a doubt I would do it all over again. Check your local Marshalls and similar stores and you might get lucky and find a boxed set. I think the HA-1's became the "essentials" to pave way for the D3 line, people complained the HA-1's handles aren't shaped well. They have a lifetime warranty even on the non stick.

They have some All Clad on their site, individual pots/pans $70-100 each. I found the entire boxed set in the store though. On the link, sort by designer A to Z, then Click on "reveal designer" and it will say all-clad

https://www.marshalls.com/us/s...Ns=brand%7C0&tag=srt

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve got a set of all clad I’ve had for 25yrs

I now buy stuff from a kitchen/restaurant supply house. I find it works just as well and damn close to as well built. Just doesn’t look at pretty but equally as functional

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6229 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
No specific ones but I would look for a good heavy 12" frying pan. I use this the most.

Also a nice saucepan. While I like nonstick in a frying pan I like SS in a saucepan.

I also have a smaller frying pan and a small and larger saucepan. I have other stuff but that is what I use most often.

I would buy individual stuff and what you need now and add to it later.

Many of the sets come with stuff you may not use every or much at all. Buy good stuff for what you use all the time and if you have to wait and go less expensive on the other ones you will use rarely.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16403 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

So what's a good choice for a new set of non-stick cookware?

I'd prefer something in the $100-$300 range, but could be persuaded to go a bit higher if necessary...

I've bought and used all kinds of pots and pans over the years from cheap Walmart stuff to supposedly good Calaphon, Cuisinart (I'm sure I've misspelled them). After posing the question here on the forum "I want a good pan, what brand should I buy"? All-clad came highly recommended, and they're made right up the road in Canonsburg, PA. So after my nice old multipurpose Teflon pan warped, which won't work on a flat top electric range, I looked at an All-clad 6 qt multi purpose D5 stainless pan from Williams Sonoma on a "great sale" for $200. Eek No way I'm paying $200 for one pan.
I happened to mention this to my friend, who herself is a great cook, and she said "why not, $200 for a high quality pan that size is not too much to spend". So I ordered it. Long story short I use this pan for almost everything from bacon and eggs to the veggie stir-fry I'm eating right now and I love it! Using a high quality pan that heats evenly, stays flat, and cleans off easily is truly a joy.

My advice? Go buy a small cheap set for $100-$150, then with your remaining $150 or so buy one All-clad pan in the size you will be using most.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7099 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I've used all kinds of cookware and have moved away from non-stick. No matter the manufacturer claims, there's no such thing as lifetime non-stick. I don't like the idea of the coating flaking off into my food, and PTFE/Teflon releases toxic fumes if heated above 500 deg F.

For non-stick needs, I suggest looking into latest-generation ceramic or seasoned cast iron. Cast iron skillets have a big following on SF. About 2-3X per year, someone starts a thread asking for advice on how to season and care for cast iron.

If you need pots/saucepans for acidic foods, stainless steel and enamel-coated cast iron are best. Le Creuset is great, but you can get serviceable knock-offs for much less.

If you're a Costco member, you might look into the following:
J.A. Henckels International 10-piece Capri Granitium Nonstick Cookware Set

I don't have experience w/ it, but the reviews are overwhelmingly positive.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All-clad pots and possibly a large sauce pan.

But we also recently added a Lodge 10” cast iron skillet and that’s the new toy in the kitchen.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post