SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Presbyopia: anyone ever recovered their eyesight after 50?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Presbyopia: anyone ever recovered their eyesight after 50? Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
I used to have eagle eyes, and I still do at distance, but I've steadily had to hold things farther away over the last few years. My keyboard keys are hazy now, which is concerning. I'm also finding I have to use my inspection visor for certain gun work now and I really don't like that.

Has anyone recovered their near sight with vitamins or any supplement?

TIA-

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5416 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Nope, it's a one way ticket to corrective lenses! Wink

I used to have 20/10, and I basically still have 20/20 at distance, but now I need glasses to see any detail inside 15 ft. Working under the car became a BIG challenge as I couldn't get far enough away to see anything. Now I have full-lens magnifier safety glasses I use whenever I'm working on anything.

For everyday, normal activities I have two sets of Progressives; one for office/computer (larger mid-focal length area) activities, and one for more typical everyday wear (larger distance focal length area) that work better for outdoors & driving. It SUCKS getting old...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nhracecraft,

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8956 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure the answer is "no".

Unless there's laser surgery specifically for "gettin' old".

It sucks, my friend... It sucks. I went to the eye dr because things were getting blurry as well. She ran me through the tests, made sure I didn't have any damage, anything related to diabetes or something like that. In the end, she laughed, told me "getting old sucks!" And handed me a post-it-note with my prescription. "1.25" and said walk down the block to the corner drug store.

"Cheaters"! Walmart/Sam's Club/Target they have 4 packs for a decent price. Home Depot ones aren't that durable. Office Depot & Staples have them and ones that are a little more "fashionable".

I think mine are from "Grey Matter", a little more expensive, but durable.

Start at 1.25, see what they're doing for you, you can always go up to a 1.5...

(BTW- the front sight with your glasses on will look much better Wink)

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8368 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Befors I had cataract surgery, I was using multiple pairs of glasses for various distances, 1.25 for computer/reading up to 3.5 for close up soldering and other minute work. Amazon has cheaters, 4 for $10 or less that are perfectly fine, no need to visit an optician and pay a hundred bucks just for the damn frames.

Not a great situation, but better than my co-worker who couldn't focus on anything farther away than about four inches. He would take his glasses off and hold a circuit board right up against his nose to check the traces, or read the printing. Drove me a little crazy to see it. I don't know if aging has changed anything, he's about the right age for that to start happening if it does.

Posts: 6511 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I will say this - A few years back, on a whim, I did a 20 gram/day keto diet for a month. Stuck to it strictly. The last week or two of it, I noticed my presbyopia was markedly improved. I didn't, however, continue with it as I was losing too much weight, and my vision subsequently returned to its previous state.

After doing some research, there is evidence to show that a low/no sugar low/no carb diet will improve the condition.

Posts: 20131 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
no, cataract surgery got me back to 20/20 both eyes!!

Posts: 2221 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
For most of my adult life I had so-called “monovision” which meant I had very good distant vision in my right eye and I was nearsighted in my left. Even as I aged I could see well both far and near. In time, however, my right eye vision deteriorated to the point I couldn’t focus on anything without glasses and my left eye changed to farsightedness. I therefore had to start using glasses for reading and all close work.

When being evaluated for cataract surgery recently, I told the doctor I wanted a return to my monovision: good distant vision in my dominant eye, and the ability to read with my left. He told me that would be possible, but probably not good enough to make out 8-point King James Bible text. After surgery in my right eye that returned me to 20/20 and the somewhat less good natural distant vision of my left, though, I’ve changed my mind. When I have the left eye done, it will be with the hopes of its being as good for distant vision as my right. I will just continue using glasses for reading and close work; if that were the only accommodation I had to make for being much closer to 80 years old than 70, I’d be ecstatic.

In other words, it’s evidently possible to have two different lenses for the two eyes, and I myself would probably be fine with my original plan. But many (most?) people who are not accustomed to monovision may have significant problems adjusting to the differences in focus distances. If you have or when you develop cataracts, it could be something to discuss, however.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47415 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I stopped wearing glasses to correct my distance vision at around age 62 .I didn't do anything special . One day I noticed that I could see the TV better without them . My close up vision sucks though .

Posts: 4071 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I’d recommend you make an appointment for an exam with an eye doctor, just to be sure there’s nothing other than aging causing your issue. Chances are good that’s all it is, but some of the other possibilities are pretty serious, and can benefit from early intervention.

Posts: 26943 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
Befors I had cataract surgery, I was using multiple pairs of glasses for various distances,

What architect says above. You have to wait until cataract surgery.

I have astigmatism, hyperopia (farsighted) and presbyopia. I have all types of glasses to see at various distances. Both my parents who have had cataract surgery and my children laugh at me.

I consider myself extremely fortunate to be able to tolerate both progressive lenses and traditional bi-focal lenses without issue.

Posts: 6628 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Pilocarpine is the generic for Vuity. It’s a once/twice a day drop that restores your vision without readers.
It constricts your pupil, causing your vision to “restore” for up to 12 hours.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4031 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was in denial and only wearing readers until 58-2 yrs ago. Progressive lenses fixed my issues. Vitamins, carrots, didn't fix it.

Posts: 3601 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
We are children of Father Time and Mother Nature. Your corneas harden with age making them less able to be manipulated by the tiny muscles that used to allow changes in focus. There isn’t any way to upgrade oem equipment to get them back to original.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15626 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I wear 3m Nuvo readers for upclose reading and fine work. They come in different magnifications, pick one. They are a shy cloddy with thick frames and side Shields. The poly lenses get cleaned with soft facial tissue as they scratch easy. Lowes has them at $11.00 per pair. My friend here is almost 84 years old and has perfect vision while my 65 year old eyes aren't so good.

Posts: 17922 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
FWIW, it’s the lens inside the eye that changes shape with the actions of the muscles to focus on objects at different distances, not the cornea.

https://www.aao.org/museum-eye...s/how-does-eye-focus

But yes, the lens hardens with age and is less able to change shape for different focus distances.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47415 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input! I'll hold out as much as I can on readers but accept fate when it comes to it.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5416 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
For everyday, normal activities I have two sets of Progressives; one for office/computer (larger mid-focal length area) activities, and one for more typical everyday wear (larger distance focal length area) that work better for outdoors & driving. It SUCKS getting old...

This one time, at Costco.......

Same, had Lasik several years ago to correct astigmatism, 15 + years without glasses or contacts, they told me I'd still need reading glasses.

I have the daily non computer progressives and a set for the computer/up close work.

Posts: 23585 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I’m in the same boat Frown

Used to have eagle eyes up close and at distance and still do at distance but my up close vision is getting bad. I can’t even read the directions on a bottle of medicine anymore without reading glasses.

It sucks but that’s what happens when you get older, eye doc told me it’s very common after age 40, for me it started around age 47

Posts: 33884 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post