Notify
Tools

Your 401k Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks to yesterday, we can update this to the equivalent of both a Corvette Grand Sport convertible and Mazda Miata in ‘18.

Oil & gas stocks got hammered (2.7 to 3.4 percent single day losses).

I am just glad I have my eighties and 2000's Toyota 4wd pickups for retirement. Ain't a sports car guy anyways. Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19229 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I'm hurting bad like everyone else. I had been 100% cash for about 2 months fearing something like this, then went all back in on Oct 5, the first or second day the market was down several hundred points. Mad

Luckily, I don't need to draw on it, and am 5 years away from mandatory IRA RMDs.

Posts: 4015 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Amurr
posted Hide Post
Should be buying today if you have cash and a long term time frame.

Posts: 2628 | Location: On the shore of Lake Lanier | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It seemed like a good idea...
Picture of lude4life
posted Hide Post
Sale time! Buy more!

-Jay

"Assault is a type of behavior, not a type of hardware." -Alan Korwin

Posts: 2810 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: November 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Dang. What a difference a day makes. Well, at least it was up big time today.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10938 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
last I looked I was down over $30k

but I have at least 10 more years before I want to start withdrawing anything, so I'm not going to panic about a drop in the bucket time

all of the companies in my portfolio are sound

its the market that is swinging, not the performance of my stocks

however I have a bit of cash and might buy some additional stock next week if its still a good buy - need to do the analysis of them and that means library time

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53226 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
My portfolio was up >6%. Today.
Dow up >1000.
Volatility, thy name is programmed trading.
Wish we had a word of wisdom today from JAllen.

Posts: 18089 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Wish we had a word of wisdom today from JAllen.

Yep, he had a calming tone in his posts. The big swing today reminded me of the 2008 2009 debacle. There were swings of +-1000 points in the Dow for a day. A much larger percentage in those days but this does not seem good to me.

Posts: 7562 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Happy to say I exited the market completely a few weeks back. Sunk it all into a Navy FCU 3.8% CD for a few years until the dust clears.

I am going to enjoy not giving a shit what the market does for the next 3 years. Big Grin

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
A clip from a WSJ article on the magnitude of programmed trading:

quote:
Today, quantitative hedge funds, or those that rely on computer models rather than research and intuition, account for 28.7% of trading in the stock market, according to data from Tabb Group--a share that’s more than doubled since 2013. They now trade more than retail investors, and everyone else.

Add to that passive funds, index investors, high-frequency traders, market makers, and others who aren’t buying because they have a fundamental view of a company’s prospects, and you get to around 85% of trading volume, according to Marko Kolanovic of JP Morgan .

“Electronic traders are wreaking havoc in the markets,” says Leon Cooperman, the billionaire stock picker who founded hedge fund Omega Advisors.

Behind the models employed by quants are algorithms, or investment recipes, that automatically buy and sell based on pre-set inputs. Lately, they’re dumping stocks, traders and investors say.

“The speed and magnitude of the move probably are being exacerbated by the machines and model-driven trading,” says Neal Berger, who runs Eagle’s View Asset Management, which invests in hedge funds and other vehicles. “Human beings tend not to react this fast and violently.”

Behind the market swoon: the herdlike behavior of computerized trading

Posts: 18089 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I just looked and I have lost $30K in the last few weeks, but that can be made up really quick too. I have 20 years until retirement so I can ride the ups and downs.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post