SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Amazon Prime Day - Great deals on the Tidradio TD-H3 and TD-H8 VHF/UHF/GMRS radios - puts Baofeng to shame…
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amazon Prime Day - Great deals on the Tidradio TD-H3 and TD-H8 VHF/UHF/GMRS radios - puts Baofeng to shame… Login/Join 
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted
I have Yaesu, Icom, and other radios but I have to say the Tidradio offerings are the best value out there right now.

Amazon has some great prices on the TD-H3 and TD-H8 models for Prime Day (basically same features but TD-H8 is 10w output vs 5w, and a bit larger size)

These have much better display and build quality than the Baofeng offerings and are selectable to be used as GMRS/FRS, HAM VHF/UHF, or “unlocked” via a keypress startup sequence.

These radios have been discussed in several of the radio threads - if you need more info search those put.

H3 deals…

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Td-...151&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

H8 deals…

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Td-...215&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11185 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
The H3 has been on my list for a bit now. It sounds like they really knocked it out compared to everything else in the low price range.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3567 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
The H3 has been on my list for a bit now. It sounds like they really knocked it out compared to everything else in the low price range.

Now is the time, you won’t be disappointed.

It is a great little radio. I have two H8s and one H3. Bought another H3 yesterday just because it was such a deal, $38 for radio, 2 batteries, charging cradle, multiple antennas. Heck, 2 batteries alone are worth that price.

Posts: 11185 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:

Now is the time, you won’t be disappointed.

It is a great little radio. I have two H8s and one H3. Bought another H3 yesterday just because it was such a deal, $38 for radio, 2 batteries, charging cradle, multiple antennas. Heck, 2 batteries alone are worth that price.

I need more guidance, if you don’t mind. I have my technician license but have not even used a baofeng that someone gave me. I’m also interested in the gmrs capability. Which of the H8 package would you recommend for a fully kitted out package with 2 or even 3 units?

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19992 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:

I need more guidance, if you don’t mind. I have my technician license but have not even used a baofeng that someone gave me. I’m also interested in the gmrs capability. Which of the H8 package would you recommend for a fully kitted out package with 2 or even 3 units?

For the H8, I’d go with this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Generat...o%2Caps%2C193&sr=8-8

Two radios, 4 batteries, speaker mics, multiple antenna options. Some of the stuff isn’t really necessary (I’m not a fan of the earpieces). It at $120 for the kit it is cheaper than the other options on a per radio price.

For me it is showing an add’l $10 coupon bringing it to $110, that may or may not show for you.

If you want a third radio,

https://www.amazon.com/TIDRADI...Y2hfdGhlbWF0aWM&th=1

$53 with one battery and adds a charging cradle. You can also get one radio, two batteries, and cradle for $69

With the H8, just make sure you are getting a 2nd generation HAM 10w version. The GMRS versions, even though they can be booted to HAM bands don’t make the 10w which is the whole point of the H8 over the H3.

posted Hide Post
Thanks again to SigForum for helping me spend money.

...that I will support
and defend...

Posts: 877 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing. I ordered 2 of the H8's.

I have 3 Baofeng's, 1 for myself, wife and daughter. The wife and daughter complain that the Baofeng's are confusing to use, not that we use them often (mainly at camp or doing stuff outdoors) but I'm hoping these Tidradio's will solve that issue.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4572 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
I got the H3 for the Airband, it is a great small radio. Smaller than my Baofengs. I have tested it and I can hit the closest Gmrs repeater with it better than with any other radio I have.

Posts: 3745 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
911Boss, thank you very much, sir. I ordered both links.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19992 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarms229:
Thanks for sharing. I ordered 2 of the H8's.

I have 3 Baofeng's, 1 for myself, wife and daughter. The wife and daughter complain that the Baofeng's are confusing to use, not that we use them often (mainly at camp or doing stuff outdoors) but I'm hoping these Tidradio's will solve that issue.

Lots of YT vids on it. Without knowing what issues they have with the BF, hard to offer suggestions.

Programming is a breeze via Bluetooth and the app.

Will even show repeaters in your area and auto program them for you.

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:

For the H8, I’d go with this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Generat...o%2Caps%2C193&sr=8-8

Two radios, 4 batteries, speaker mics, multiple antenna options. Some of the stuff isn’t really necessary (I’m not a fan of the earpieces). It at $120 for the kit it is cheaper than the other options on a per radio price.

For me it is showing an add’l $10 coupon bringing it to $110, that may or may not show for you.

If you want a third radio,

https://www.amazon.com/TIDRADI...Y2hfdGhlbWF0aWM&th=1

$53 with one battery and adds a charging cradle. You can also get one radio, two batteries, and cradle for $69

With the H8, just make sure you are getting a 2nd generation HAM 10w version. The GMRS versions, even though they can be booted to HAM bands don’t make the 10w which is the whole point of the H8 over the H3.

I got what you suggested but I figured I'd get a 4th one. The one with the base charger for at home and 3 on the road.

So for the 4th one, I ordered This. I just looked at TD-H8 and was surprised when I opened the box that the manual said GMRS Radio and I now see that's what the description said. I take it this isn't what I want and I should return it if I want a ham radio? I thought these radios can be used for both ham and GMRS?

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
There is a keypad function to unlock the HAM bands.

It's sold as GMRS.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12910 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Beware. I bought an H3 from Amazon. Looked to be pre-owned and was way down on power. Couldn’t hit my local repeater which I can do with the five watt Baofeng.

Otherwise great radio. Easy to program.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20385 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fischtown7:
I got the H3 for the Airband, it is a great small radio. Smaller than my Baofengs. I have tested it and I can hit the closest Gmrs repeater with it better than with any other radio I have.

That's why I returned it. Too small for me. My favorite cheap HT is a Radtel RT470X though I have a bunch of others I play around with. The RT470X is unlocked and will transmit on more bands then it says it will (MURS, GMRS and higher plus 1.25 Meter). It also receives airband.

As for Prime Day, I picked up a discounted power supply for future use - perhaps with a mobile.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3600 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I got what you suggested but I figured I'd get a 4th one. The one with the base charger for at home and 3 on the road.

So for the 4th one, I ordered This. I just looked at TD-H8 and was surprised when I opened the box that the manual said GMRS Radio and I now see that's what the description said. I take it this isn't what I want and I should return it if I want a ham radio? I thought these radios can be used for both ham and GMRS?

You should be able to unlock to HAM, but my experience was the ones sold as GMRS are limited to 5 watts, even in HAM mode while the ones sold as HAM are closer to the 10 watt output.

I’d return it for the HAM version:

https://www.amazon.com/TIDRADI...amming/dp/B0C27VBC5J

Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Beware. I bought an H3 from Amazon. Looked to be pre-owned and was way down on power. Couldn’t hit my local repeater which I can do with the five watt Baofeng.

Otherwise great radio. Easy to program.

RMD

To be fair, I’ve yet to have any HT actually make advertised power output, even my Yaesus. Do you have a meter to check it? My Tidradio 5w measure 4+ and the 10w was just over 9.2w if I recall. Closer than I’ve gotten with Baofengs.

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
TE]

You should be able to unlock to HAM, but my experience was the ones sold as GMRS are limited to 5 watts, even in HAM mode while the ones sold as HAM are closer to the 10 watt output.

I’d return it for the HAM version:

https://www.amazon.com/TIDRADI...amming/dp/B0C27VBC5J

Thanks Boss.