SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Toyota 4Runners- Your thoughts good and bad.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toyota 4Runners- Your thoughts good and bad. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I currently have a Tundra, my work has changed and I'll be getting a 4Runner to replace it within the next two years. I really like the Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System with the TRD & Trail models.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I meant to add that we took my 4Runner to Florida and Kansas City this year. Not a hiccup except for a minor a/c issue.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wandering, but
not lost...I think
Picture of brywards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobandmikako:
The only issue I had with the 4Runner was right after the factory warranty had run out, the door lock actuators went out which was not a cheap fix (since I don't know how to do it myself).

This is a well-documented problem, but not large enough to warrant a recall. And it's not isolated to 4Runners; many Toyotas suffer from door lock actuator failure, including Tacoma, Tundra, Sienna, Lexus RX... I had door lock actuators die on my 2007 Tacoma after 6-7 years.

I had door lock actuators go out twice on my 2014 4Runner at just two-and-a-half years of ownership. Even though the truck was still under warranty, Toyota won't cover repair work outside of CONUS (thanks for supporting the US military, Toyota USA). So, I learned how to do the repair myself by reading forums and watching YouTube. Toyota sells the entire actuator assembly for almost $300.00. I ordered the $7.00 electric motor internal to the actuator assembly off eBay and went to work! The first time took me a couple hours; the second time I was done in a little over an hour, including tool cleanup.

I just sold my 4Runner in June. It was a good truck, but a pain to drive here in Germany, with narrow village roads, lots of curves, and tiny parking spots. I planned on keeping it for a long time, but resale was high enough to tempt me to sell. Maybe by the time I buy a new truck, Toyota will have found a better electric motor supplier (doubtful), trashed the horrendous Entune stereo system (doubtful), and started putting at least two more layers of paint on at the factory (laughably doubtful).

Posts: 2715 | Location: West Texas | Registered: January 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brywards:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bobandmikako:

This is a well-documented problem, but not large enough to warrant a recall. And it's not isolated to 4Runners; many Toyotas suffer from door lock actuator failure, including Tacoma, Tundra, Sienna, Lexus RX... I had door lock actuators die on my 2007 Tacoma after 6-7 years.

I had door lock actuators go out twice on my 2014 4Runner at just two-and-a-half years of ownership.

...and started putting at least two more layers of paint on at the factory (laughably doubtful).

If the problem is that widespread, it's ridiculous they wouldn't, at the very least, extend the warranty for owners of those vehicles to cover that item longer than the initial warranty.

And the paint issue is real as well. There's a few mid-2000s Corollas in my family and the paint condition is horrendous. And I know a few people who have had their paint fixed under warranty on Toyota vehicles only a few years old.

I've been saying for a while Toyota and Honda aren't what they used to be. Now that my MDX is a confirmed oil-burner I am really on that train.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjkroll32:
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:
The last 4Runner that was offered with a manual transmission was the 2000 (3rd gen). I own one and it is a GREAT truck.

I don't care for automatics either but the manufacturers are building solid units for the most part now.

Fun fact. For one year (2009/10) of the current generation, you could get a 6 speed manual with the 2.7L 4 cylinder and rear wheel drive only.

As expected, it did not last long.

Thank you, I did not know that.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I test-drove a used 4-Runner with a 4-cylinder and manual transmission. Loved the way it drove. I was going to make it my daily driver and give my wife my '01 SR5 4-Runner. She decided she wanted a Camry instead and I kept the '01. It's got 195k on it and still going strong. Changed the timing belt and water pump for the second time recently, otherwise, no issues.

Posts: 1362 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
What kind of gas mileage are we talking about with around-town driving and highway driving?

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
The one I had was an SR5 4WD and consistently got 16MPG around town and 19-22 on the highway depending upon how I drove it.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a 2007 that was going strong at 230,000 miles, other than the air conditioner leaking refrigerant. A deer jumped in front of me two years ago and totaled it. I replaced it with a 2012 that I purchased with 136,000 miles and it is currently at 165,000.

I don't understand people saying that acceleration is sluggish. Both of mine had 6 cylinders and 4 wheel drive. They would both do 0-60 in under 10 seconds. I don't consider that bad for a 4,500 pound SUV that is probably closer to 5,000 with all of the crap I routinely haul around in it. Hell, I remember supposed sports cars in the late 1970s and early 1980s that would only do it in 7-8 seconds. I have never had a problem passing someone that needed passing.

They also have a comfortable ride and corner surprisingly well for such a tall vehicle, but when you get your first deep snow, then you'll know why you really bought it. Put a set of Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs on it an you won't even bother watching the weather forecast anymore.

I have used both of them to tow a trailer with up to 3,500 pounds without issue.

In summary, when this one bites the dust, my only question will probably be what year 4Runner to get next.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
What kind of gas mileage are we talking about with around-town driving and highway driving?

Maui driving I’m averaging a bit over 16 mpg all around.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I would like to find one. I am thinking a V8 model to replace the old sub at some point Is 2002 when they went to the v8?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19190 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post