SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What can you tell me about Steinhart Watches?
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
What can you tell me about Steinhart Watches? Login/Join 
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
They'll also do different variants on a theme like the Ocean Black DLC:

Looks good.

Never heard any bad about them, TBH. A nice watch for a lot less than the cost of a service for any of my watches.

tac

Posts: 11314 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Report This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
I just ordered the Ocean 1 Black Ceramic directly from Steinhart. Looks like they lowered their prices. When I was looking at their website, the price was 380.00 Euro for just the watch, add 30.00 Euro for ceramic bezel.

When I ordered the watch, all of the prices were reduced. I got the whole thing for 369.75 Euro shipped via Fedex International. This translates to $402 and change.

Now I hope that it arrives without issue.

EDIT: I see why the price is cheaper, they didn't charge the 19% tax.

Posts: 5197 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Great watch and value. I have 2 in addition to a Rolex. Steinhart uses ETA/Valjeaux Swiss movements which most Swiss watches use. Eta/valjeaux is owned by Swatch which owns Omega and a number of others. Value is great. My Nav b Chrono II contains a Valjeaux 7750 movement and cost me about $780.00 about 3 yrs ago. Other brands with 7750 movements can run from 1200 to 4000 usd and up. ETA/Valjeux IIRC provides movements to Ball, Swiss army, Tudor, Omega, Brietling and many more. Some may tweak them. They are one of the few providers left of mechanical and automatic movements after the battery powered movements came on the scene. Think of GM, Ford and Chrysler engine divisions combining into one co to make and sell engines to other car makers. They all merged in order to survive. IMHO, If you like mech movement watches, you are paying for the movement that is installed in somebody's case. If that somebody is a prestige name, you are paying big bucks for the case and name but have the same movement that's in the Steinhart. Some of the really high end comanies still make their own in house movements and they are pretty high in price (Rolex, Piaget, etc). Some makers modify the eta movements too so they are slightly more accurate.

Bear in mind that mechanical and auto movements are not going to be as accurate as a good electronic movement. I like mechinical watches for nostalgia's sake I guess. If I'm going to work on the car or build something, I'll wear my cheap off brand electronic watch which works great and takes a bashing. If it breaks, I may just throw it away and get another. I'm a big believer in Steinhart you might say, check out the english version of their website. I got the Nav b II chro with a black face. I ordered direct from them in Germany using the current dollar euro conversion on the day I ordered. Good luck

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Report This Post