SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Interesting talk about guns last night.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interesting talk about guns last night. Login/Join 
Banned
posted
Was out with a small group of friends meeting for dinner after golf last night. I was quite surprised to hear of the desire of people who never shot a gun in their lives now wanting to purchase one. I'm talking about 1 person a 70 year old woman who said she's never ever touched a gun but was sitting there saying she wants to get trained and get a handgun before the election. Others expressing that they want a gun now for the first or some who have guns wanting to stock up on more ammo. I guess what really struck me was the urgency of their tone. People are really on edge with all of the lawlessness right now.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
"Who needs a gun? Nothing like that could happen here!"

It starts happening here.

"Holy shitballs! I need a piece yesterday!"

Reckon it's better than them saying they'll just come to your house. Still, I like to point out "I told you so."

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
Reckon it's better than them saying they'll just come to your house.

I tell the people whose plan is to come to my place:

"GREAT! Protein delivered to my door! I'll unpack my copy of The Donner Party Cookbook!"

They usually think I'm joking.

Then I describe eating monkey meat in Africa, and observe "Prime primate is great."

Then they walk off muttering.

Which was my goal all along.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31445 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm all for more folks joining the Firearms world but there are some concerns.

Number One is will they exercise good judgement if that handgun or shotgun is actually needed. Guns are for shooting, NOT talking. If you need to shoot then shoot. If you don't need to shoot keep it out of sight.

Number Two is safe handling and storage. If you are going to have grandchildren running around then keep your firearm out of their reach. BTW, teenagers are included in this "out of reach" requirement but with teens that usually means a safe. Additionally new owners need a serious demonstration on how to properly manipulate all of the controls on their new weapon and how to unload it safely.

During this current pandemic resources for good instruction are very limited and one result of this is that I expect we'll see a spike in examples of why good firearms instruction is essential for new owners. I encourage that anyone reading this who has new firearms owners in their family or circle of friends take the time to do a bit of instructing, even if it's over the phone.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think a great example of your point Scooter is the people that are currently out there threatening those not wearing masks. These are likely the same people who previously feared an armed population because they can’t be trusted to be responsible and believe gun owners just run around town brandishing their weapon whenever someone does something they don’t like.

Posts: 39 | Registered: January 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kramden:
Was out with a small group of friends meeting for dinner after golf last night. I was quite surprised to hear of the desire of people who never shot a gun in their lives now wanting to purchase one. I'm talking about 1 person a 70 year old woman who said she's never ever touched a gun but was sitting there saying she wants to get trained and get a handgun before the election. Others expressing that they want a gun now for the first or some who have guns wanting to stock up on more ammo. I guess what really struck me was the urgency of their tone. People are really on edge with all of the lawlessness right now.

"Wanting to stock up on more ammo". Good luck with that. Should have stacked it deep years ago.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:

During this current pandemic resources for good instruction are very limited ....

There's plenty of resources between online, YT, etc. Its not the same as hands on live-fire of course, but enough to at least familiarize with the basics, safety rules, etc.

What may be lacking for some is the follow thru to utilize it...

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Yeah we live in interesting times for sure.

The gun stores and ranges are all open around here. Many offer very inexpensive group classes on firearms including for those who have never touched a firearm before. I would certainly suggest anyone interested in being a gun owner look into taking such a class. They even have them for women only in case someone feels more comfortable in such and environment. As Boss1 mentioned there are good online sources from the NRA and such too about basic gun questions, safe handling, etc. if a local gun range is currently not an option.

I would also suggest that anyone new think really hard about what firearm to get and again there are beginners classes that allow one to handle and fire a variety of firearms after basic instruction to see if they have any preferences. Mention that firearms often typically mentioned as "best for women" (I hate that) are often the worst in that small and light means a lot of recoil and very little grip to control it. Also new firearm purchasers should understand like anything else that you typically get what you pay for in a firearm too and to avoid the lowest priced ones like HiPoint and Taurus for a first pistol purchase but that there are great choices (at least in more normal times) in about the $375 range and up at local gun stores.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Powers77:
Recently had my BIL mention that he was wanting a home defence handgun. This was also after a round of golf. He has always thought a baseball bat was sufficient but age and the current environment have brought him around.
I had a Glock 23 that I never shot as well as other options that I was considering putting on consignment.
Took him out to shoot it the next day and he shoots it fine. Made him a deal he couldn't refuse. He puts up with me as a BIL for 30 years (retroactively) and it's his along with the bedside vault that I no longer had a use for.
Win/win.

Posts: 1963 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
Friend of mine who is well with in retirement age asked about getting a hand gun for self defense. He is a hunter and reenactor or so he has long guns, but has never had any modern hand guns. He wanted a Judge and I think I talked him out of that. I suggested a good 9mm and recommended the top brands and models we talk about here. I even offered to loan him a few of mine to shoot to see what he would be comfortable with. I also told him the importance of practicing. Don't just get the gun and box or two of ammo. Go out and shoot it as much as you can.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Appreciate the responces. My point of course that these times are really causing people to think and consider things they never did before.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once this is all over, how many of these former anti gun people will revert back and be in favor of restrictions again? I think a lot of them will do just that.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My son works the gun counter at a local farm and ranch store. Everyday he tells me about people who say that they've never owned a gun or even held one but they need one now. They are all ages, sexes and colors. I'm all for everyone owning a gun but wow, the average person is utterly and completely clueless about firearms. There are instances where my son has suggested that a person may be better off with pepper spray. I couldn't work at a gun counter, it would drive me insane trying to impart some basic knowledge in a just few minutes.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3537 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
^^This has been discussed at length in another thread(s).

It would probably be prudent to welcome new 'converts' to the 2A, who are actually going to stay on the 2A side. Often, the whole 'gun debate' devolves into 'self defense.' While obviously very important...these new shooters should also be shown how FUN the shooting sports can be. I don't think there's many active folks that would find an IPSC or 3-gun match not at least somewhat fun/cool.

As to utterly clueless...yep...over the past couple decades, the opposition has succeeded to some degree into demonizing gun owners and at the same time correspondingly pretty much removed the basic familiarity/handling of firearms as normal part of people's upbringing in many parts of the country.

We're seeing how well that plays out real time in the big D run cities right now. The WH press secretary has done a decent job at calling out the fake media on all the questions they're NOT asking on such related topics.

As its looking like some places are seeming to be setting the stage for another round of 'shelter-at-home' type mandates + dwindling financial assistance, things are likely not going to improve in the near term.

Believe this has been posted before, but still relevant:

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1anAqFYIQXI

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I hear a lot of similar talk here. I live in a fairly conservative, affluent and very safe area. People used to ask me why I felt it necessary to carry a gun. My answer was always that I don't go to places where I think I might need a gun. I carry it because it's usually the places you don't think you'll need it where you'll be glad you have it.

Many more people are beginning to understand.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
I hear a lot of similar talk here. I live in a fairly conservative, affluent and very safe area. People used to ask me why I felt it necessary to carry a gun. My answer was always that I don't go to places where I think I might need a gun. I carry it because it's usually the places you don't think you'll need it where you'll be glad you have it.

Many more people are beginning to understand.

I’ve had people ask me that question, and my answer is your’s with this little addendum: “and if I find myself somewhere that I feel like I need a gun, that’s my cue to find some place else to be.”

I’ve got a few good friends who weren’t anti-gun but definitely not interested before who are interested now. The gun panics of the last decade didn’t get them off their butts, but they’re paying attention now.

Posts: 17137 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
I'm all for more folks joining the Firearms world but there are some concerns.

Number One is will they exercise good judgement if that handgun or shotgun is actually needed. Guns are for shooting, NOT talking. If you need to shoot then shoot. If you don't need to shoot keep it out of sight.

Number Two is safe handling and storage. If you are going to have grandchildren running around then keep your firearm out of their reach. BTW, teenagers are included in this "out of reach" requirement but with teens that usually means a safe. Additionally new owners need a serious demonstration on how to properly manipulate all of the controls on their new weapon and how to unload it safely.

During this current pandemic resources for good instruction are very limited and one result of this is that I expect we'll see a spike in examples of why good firearms instruction is essential for new owners. I encourage that anyone reading this who has new firearms owners in their family or circle of friends take the time to do a bit of instructing, even if it's over the phone.

Long gone are the days when the family shotgun hung above the fireplace and guns were seen as just another tool around the homestead. These days, I submit, the average urban/suburban dweller knows next to nothing about the safe handling, storage, cleaning and transportation of weapons. And while I'm against licensing of any sort, I think the average shmo wouldn't care to take the time and effort to learn. This could likely lead to a rash of negligent discharges, episodes of brandishing, or worse. We could have a new "wild west" on our hands if we're not paying attention...

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tleo205:
Once this is all over, how many of these former anti gun people will revert back and be in favor of restrictions again? I think a lot of them will do just that.

There will always be hypocrites, but the majority of Americans have soft pro or anti gun stances. Many of those soft anti-gun ppl have had their opinions swayed due to recent events. The reality has hit them that, no, you can't depend on the police to protect you. Civil unrest, looting, rioting are real dangers, even if you live in an expensive gated community.

I understand the contempt for hypocrites, but try not to gloat too much over the former soft anti-gunners. Doing so may alienate them. We should welcome them w/ open arms and keep them on the pro-gun side, even if they're soft pro-2A.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I’m gonna be the devils advocate here, Even though I feel like the vast number of folks in this world are idjits. That said.

I think most of these folks will jump on YouTube and get a better baseline understanding of safe practices and basic fundamentals then many folks got buying a firearm 20 years ago.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I have long been of the opinion that safe gun handling and safety rules should be taught in the schools. That education used to be done by parents, but the current crop of parents is ill prepared (or willing) to do it. It is knowledge that should be universal, though, because so many "accidents" happen when not known.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post