SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If You Could Be STUCK in One Decade...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If You Could Be STUCK in One Decade... Login/Join 
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
had a childhood in the 50's, teen years in the 60's and young adult in the 70's. It just doesn't get any better than that. would like to live in the 50's as an adult. Life was just more simple, safer, less complicated and generally easier

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
80's for me. It was high-school and college during that timeframe. Bopping along in Tucson listening to Duran Duran and Iron Maiden, partying, mountain-biking constantly, partying, riding a GSXR-750 every day, partying, and bartending at a resort $$$... Ahh to be young again.

Todd

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 420 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I came of age in the 80s, but if I had to be stuck it would be the 90s. Jobs, money, marriage (dinks until 99), travelled anywhere, played a crap ton of golf. Life was relatively smooth and predictable.

Posts: 2932 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1980s for me too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
1970s for sure. No aids, covid, girls were plentiful, music great. Downside? Leisure suits. I cringe when I remember I actually wore them to work.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1487 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of uvahawk
posted Hide Post
1980s, arguably the most interesting decade of my life. Really enjoyed the popular music and TV of that decade.

Posts: 153 | Location: Low Country, South Carolina | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
It's hard to pick. 60-70AD would've allowed one to see the Temple Mount before it was destroyed, Rome under Nero (an interesting period of history) and the construction of the Domus Transitoria before and the Domus Aurea after the great fire. 70-80AD would've seen the death of Nero, the ascendency of Vespasian, the destruction of the Domus Aurea and the construction of the Flavian Amphitheater (the Colloseum) and other renovations in the city. Ideally, split the difference and go 65-75AD and you get all of the above, you just don't get to see the Amphitheater completed.

Either decade would've seen the introduction and expansion of Christianity through Egypt, but the old ways hadn't died off and one could've explored ancient Egypt and visited Alexandria, then head to Memphis and see what it was like before the Greeks came. Speaking of Greece....

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 60s would do just fine for me.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
80s. Growing up as a child of the 80s was great. I wish my children could experience what I had.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Gimme the 80s please.

yup

I'm with you guys!

God bless America.

Posts: 13426 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me, the '60's. Big city living with plenty of jobs, good Beer, low taxes and lot's of "willing" girls.

That was living in Philadelphia before it turned to shit.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
What we have here are 30 posts saying they'd like to be young again. Nothing really about the decade itself, but more a longing for a time in each individual's life.

If I had to actually pick a decade objectively, I'd probably pick the 1920s. Booming economy, hot real estate market, new and exciting automobiles, ditto for aircraft. WWI had sucked a huge amount of the wealth of Europe out of Paris and London and deposited it in New York. No NFA, military surplus machine guns. Sure, there were commies on the loose, but Calvin Coolidge was president, and he didn't suffer those fools. Flapper girls!! Yep, it sounds like it was a helluva decade to be young. If my birthday was between 1898-1903, I'd like to be stuck in the 1920s.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 70's without a thought! 18 and full of life, and I used it. Not saying I'd prefer over now with my wife, but it was one HELL of a ride!!
It was excellent every night, my Challenger drew them in and I was more than accommodating.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
The 70’s. Fun times and great memories to this day. Part of that decade was spent in Europe, that was an quite an experience for a teenager. Great music that still holds up.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1351 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
The 1990's

It's where I came of age, had many life-changing and shaping events occur and the music was great.

Agreed. Also a golden age of sci-fi in my opinion which is my favey.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
With the idea that I am not unhappy with my life as it is now, then the 90’s.

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the '80s (if limited to those in my life time). Especially if the lessons I've learned since then could come along with me.

Posts: 3202 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
60’s for me. Cars were cool during this decade. I was in HS in the middle of the decade and playing in a couple of R’n R bands that made pretty decent coin for the time. When a burger, fries and a Coke were under $0.50, I could make $25 to $50 a night - plus free beer. Not bad for a HS kid.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by uvahawk:
1980s, arguably the most interesting decade of my life. Really enjoyed the popular music and TV of that decade.

Same here, but I would liked the 60's for the muscle cars, drugs, and free love!!! Which was sorta like the 80's minus the muscle cars.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7489 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the 1980's

Posts: 1718 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post