SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Saturday Evening Horse Boys
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Saturday Evening Horse Boys Login/Join 
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted
They had just had a good run, for no reason other than they wanted to run. This was the skeptical look we got when trying to get them in before the lightning.

Fernando, Karma, Trooper and Magnum

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12780 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Great looking herd!

Horses are great at always trying to self destruct! Smile

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
Great looking herd!

We boarded horses in the early '8o's and the horses were great, the owners, not so much. I don't miss it at all.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tenacious
Tempestuous
with Integrity
posted Hide Post
I know nothing about horses, but those are some beautiful animals. What breed are they?

Posts: 791 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful clan! My father in law has a couple dozen registered quarters that love to run in packs. The thunderous sound and sight of all that horsepower tearing through the pasture is incredible!

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Fernando is a 16/3 hand branded Hanoverian and is my partner Debbie's hunter project horse.

Karma is a 16/2 hand appendix, which is half thoroughbred, half quarter horse and is my trail horse.

Trooper is a 15/2 hand thoroughbred who ran a few races before we got him, and made some money. He is here for training as a hunter and trail horse, and is for sale!

Magnum is a 15/3 hand thoroughbred and is a direct descendant of Secretariat. Has his attitude, but not his speed, and so he never raced. He is Debbie's current hunter.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12780 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
Does Magnum have some Bulldog Quarter Horse lineage?

Change of weather run?

Nice pic.

Posts: 3078 | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
^^^ I don't think so. We have his papers, and he is full thoroughbred.

And yes, it was a change of weather run.

Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
Great looking herd!

We boarded horses in the early '8o's and the horses were great, the owners, not so much. I don't miss it at all.

Jim

Haha, the term used (with a knowing sideways glance) is "he/she is a 'horse person'." It's code in our immediate family for certain TYPEs of horse folk, not the general population. Y'all all know the ones I'm talking about here, too.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I'm in for Fernando, please, and thanks for the Karma!!

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
^^^ I don't think so. We have his papers, and he is full thoroughbred.

And yes, it was a change of weather run.

Thanks for the reply.

I just remembered that Secretariat's last living stallion covered a variety of horse breeds.

Magnum just looked heavier and wider set in the chest to me.

Country Side, believed to be the oldest living stallion by Secretariat, died Aug. 26 at Diamond J Farms in Needville, Texas, at the age of 29. . . .

From 18 crops, Country Side sired 47 reported Thoroughbred foals; of those, 21 made it to the races, with nine winning. The stallion also covered Quater Horse, Paint, Appaloosa, and Arabian mares, and produced performance horses in multiple disciplines.
Link

posted Hide Post
Great picture. My father in law owns a thoroughbred farm outside of Keeneland back in Lexington. Always enjoy going out there and seeing the horses, majestic animals.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Magnum just looked heavier and wider set in the chest to me.

He has a huge chest; very broad and heavily muscled. For not being particularly large, he is incredibly powerful and is the undisputed leader of that heard.

I watched him run across a field toward a 5' gate that he expected to be open. When he saw it was closed, he did a reining stop (ass on the ground, front legs out straight in front of him) but at his speed, there was no way he was going to stop before the collision, so he just powered over the gate with his hind legs.

He's a good boy, and rides well, but the power is there and if you give him license to use it, it's on like Donkey Kong.

Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
ArtieS,

Here's my horse that we recently sold to a nice family. Years of ground work can get em' quite patient. He's 16.3 so . . .

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Years of groundwork is what it took with Karma. He was pretty damaged when we got him, and had a hair trigger. He's a very gentle boy now, and a pleasure to ride.

I can't see your picture; I hope you can get it to post.

Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
I hope you can get it to post.

. . . got it now.

Percheron, Morgan, Thoroughbred cross.

Many stories. He is very powerful too. I was driving one day when he ripped the steel hooks clean off the front of a wagon while unzipping a harness to shreds as he unhitched himself because he was scared - for good reason I might add.

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Just watched the vid. That's a very gentle horse.

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Your horses are beautiful, ArtieS.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

And any equipment or accessory in the horse market seems to cost about 50% more than it should. I use a Professional's Choice back brace (has a graphic of a horse on it). It costs, but it is the best one I ever had for excellent support.

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tubetone:
ArtieS,

Here's my horse that we recently sold to a nice family. Years of ground work can get em' quite patient. He's 16.3 so . . .

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PHo6ZH74vtA" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Good horse...

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post