SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Advice please: Ring versus Blink video doorbell
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice please: Ring versus Blink video doorbell Login/Join 
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted
Some crazy crap going down in our neighborhood recently. I have Blink cameras on the front and rear doors, so it might seem logical to just extend that system with their doorbell. However, I want to be certain that I get an immediate (relatively) alert when someone approaches the door.

Tell me what you gots and hows you likes it please.

Thanks,

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20326 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
I have two Ring doorbells and a spotlight cam.

I would not classify their response as "immediate", as there can be a three to five second delay from the time someone SHOULD be detected and when they actually alert. Perhaps the better your wireless strength the better response, but I am not sure of that.

A few days ago the mailman drove up the circle drive, got out placed my package on the front porch and drove off. Not a single one of the cameras detected him, and all of them can "see" the path he took.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RB211
posted Hide Post
Depends on how you have the sensitivity set. I have a Blink doorbell cam and it works great. I have mine set to pick up motion well before they get to the front door.

Posts: 2042 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Both are low end crap.

Worth while to study up on a higher end install maybe even involving a professional, depending.

Also I don’t do WiFi cameras. Ever. Ethernet wired all the way.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10940 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I have Ring doorbell at home, and Blink motion detector cameras at the hangar.

There is a noticeable delay, maybe a few senconds, with both systems.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30733 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Delays of seconds are probably acceptable, minutes not acceptable.

Thanks,
RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20326 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We’re pretty certain Amazon drivers are jamming Ring notification signals around here and Ring is owned by Amazon. Picks up everything else, just not Amazon package deliveries.

Posts: 407 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MelissaDallas:
We’re pretty certain Amazon drivers are jamming Ring notification signals around here and Ring is owned by Amazon. Picks up everything else, just not Amazon package deliveries.

Hmm, interesting!

Posts: 9483 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
I have Ring. Maybe a 1-2 second delay, but it's pretty quick.

Posts: 2315 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
We have a Ring doorbell and several Ring cameras around the outside of the house. The cameras are on Ring solar panels and stay fully charged all the time. The doorbell is hardwired to power, so no need for a battery or solar panel for it.

The doorbell does an excellent job with detecting motion. I have zones set up so as not to get false detections. Ring also lets you mute notifications during a time period you define.

I have 2 gripes with it. First, the module in the house that makes the doorbell ringing sound has to be paired to it, and it operates via our wifi network. Afaik you can't simply replace your existing old fashioned hardwired doorbell with the Ring, but I could be wrong about that.

The second gripe is we had a scheduled power outage for about 4 hours last week while we were out of town. The doorbell did not reconnect to the wifi when power came back up, so we had no camera operating until I came home and rebooted the network. The outdoor cameras came back online perfectly. In the past the doorbell has come back online when power has gone out. So maybe just a one off error, and perhaps a network problem not a Ring problem.

Posts: 9483 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I did a lot of research and bought an Arlo video doorbell based on that research of reviews and articles about the major brands. I’ve still not installed it yet so can’t speak personally yet but they seem to be superior to Ring and Blink in several ways, one of the biggest is the field of view.

Posts: 33882 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fly-Sig:
quote:

Hmm, interesting!

Lots of talk about this online.

Posts: 407 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Since you already have Blink, why mix and try to match?

I went with google everything including doorbells.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19708 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Still only using a blink doorbell with wifi and usb flash drive storage.

I get notifications within seconds.
Catches deer every morning at 3am walking across the front.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8031 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
quote:

Why are they doing it?

Posts: 4505 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Blink would be my first choice since you are already in that world.

But if you are looking at other options I am very happy with Amcrest. Has done great and get instant notifications and not had any hiccups that I am aware of.

Amcrest 4MP Video Doorbell Camera Pro, Outdoor Smart Home 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wireless WiFi Doorbell Camera, Micro SD Card, AI Human Detection, IP65 Weatherproof, 2-Way Audio, 164º Wide-Angle Wi-Fi AD410 https://a.co/d/eJvmZGa

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25448 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Blink would be my first choice since you are already in that world.

But if you are looking at other options I am very happy with Amcrest. Has done great and get instant notifications and not had any hiccups that I am aware of.

Amcrest 4MP Video Doorbell Camera Pro, Outdoor Smart Home 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wireless WiFi Doorbell Camera, Micro SD Card, AI Human Detection, IP65 Weatherproof, 2-Way Audio, 164º Wide-Angle Wi-Fi AD410 https://a.co/d/eJvmZGa

I came here to post this. Smile

Posts: 45394 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I have the Ring doorbell and floodlight cam out back. I have them because of the built in mics where I can use their app and speak through them. But I also have hardwired cameras in both places (and a lot of others), DVR, and it’s all on UPS in case of a power outage. So the rings are more or less redundant. But they work efficiently. To the point I’ll have a spider try to set up shop on the flood light setting it off. Fill bucket with water, splash, gone. The Ring doorbell is hooked up like my old doorbell so batteries aren’t needed but it has one that will keep it up during a power outage.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12659 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Ring pairs with An Echo Show - can see who’s at the door within seconds. Ring also pairs with Firestick - if Firestick is on, you will see pic within TV.
Amazon — Ring— Firestick . Amazon connected home.

Posts: 2306 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My two home systems are built around Amazon and TP-link.

We have a ring now and I am thinking about changing to TP-Link's doorbell, which recently came out. Works with Alexa.

It has built-in storage and no fees for access.

It is on my project list to change over.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post