SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Prayer request. Military related.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Prayer request. Military related. Login/Join 
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted
My son is currently active duty in the Army. 68W, now going through RASP (Ranger Assessment and Selection Process).

So that’s where we are now, he’s in Phase 1, almost at the second week. The first two days of Week 1, is when they see the most DOR’s. By the end of Week 1, his class was cut in half.

During the 2nd week, he was doing a night time land nav (Pass or Fail qualication), and he tripped off an embankment, and landed on his shoulder, and got hurt. They talked about dropping him out of RASP (Combat medics are greatly needed in the Army, but so are the Rangers.

He got medically recycled, and classes up at the end of March. He won’t quit unless he’s dead or broke. And now he’s broke. He has a heart of gold, and wanted to serve our country since he could talk. Mentally and physically, he can do it. But injuries are part of the equation.

If you can find it in your heart, please pray for him. He wants that Tan Beret more than anything. And his head is wired on right.

Thanks in advance, Smith.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Will do! All the way!

Posts: 6018 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So sorry to hear about his fall. Praying for him in hope he can carry on with his injury.

Semper Fidelis

Posts: 119 | Location: Missouri | Registered: August 01, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
will do. when you speak with him -- and he probably knows this -- there are outstanding non-SOCOM units out there.

if he doesn't make it -- he could go to the 82nd ABN (the maroon berets look pretty damn good too Smile) or 101st -- get plenty of Airborne / light infantry experience -- and try for a Ranger School slot through his unit. Then put in another request to go back to RASP with a couple more years of experience if he still wants to.

bottom line -- lots of ways to skin a cat. the great thing about the Army -- tons of jobs / experiences to be had. there's always a Plan B -- the path he gets on may not be the one he first dreamt of. but he can do a lot of really cool stuff in the 75th or not.

he sounds motivated -- he'll do well !

--------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wishing him all the best, prayers sent.

Our son is a 68W as well!

Posts: 513 | Location: SEMO | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
^l
He went in with an Option 40 contract. That means he was guaranteed he had a slot in RASP. Things changed, they go to RASP first, graduate on a Thursday, report to Airborne on Friday. All at Fort Benning. But they get the weekend off in between.

My wife didn’t feel right on Thursday. She’s a teacher, first grade. She just felt off. And then her phone rings in her classroom, it was my son calling to tell her he just got dropped. They both broke down in tears. My wife called me, and I thought I was going to puke. And there was nothing I could do. He’s 12 hours away.

Thank God for FaceTime, we have spoke a few times, and he’s still motivated, and wants that Tan Beret.

RLTW!!!

-----------------
I apologize now...

THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
Prayers and well wishes inbound from NH!I hope he recovers quickly enough to get back into quals.
sigguy(the 1st)

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5302 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prayers out...

I hurt my knee and shin during my first enlistment in 1992, and instead of getting treated, I toughed it out. To this day I still pay for that injury.

Fast forward 17 years to my second round of basic and AIT. This time I dinged up my shoulder at the Civil Affairs School house. I went to the clinic this time and took care of it and got it documented.

Those injuries are starting to make themselves known and I am not sure if it would be wise to go back to an ABN unit no matter how bad I want to get to one.

Tell him to stay strong.
The first thing to do is to get treated and healed.
Rangers have a heavy op tempo and lots of training, and not being healed properly will definitely shorten a military enlistment.

If they drop him, he can always re-apply to RASP after he spends some time with a line unit

I know it sucks and it is a mental mind field but he is still in the game.
As Sig 209 stated, sometimes you may have to take the round about way to get what you want.

I know, because I took a 17 year round about to get what I wanted.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is he still at Benning? If so and he needs some to talk to or to just get off post for a bit, my son is there for three more weeks. He is an officer and really cares for his troops.

My email is in my profile if my
Lt son can help.

Posts: 1076 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Done!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16255 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SW_Sig:
Is he still at Benning? If so and he needs some to talk to or to just get off post for a bit, my son is there for three more weeks. He is an officer and really cares for his troops.

My email is in my profile if my
Lt son can help.

PM sent! Thanks!

-----------------
I apologize now...

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:
then her phone rings in her classroom, it was my son calling to tell her he just got dropped. They both broke down in tears.
RLTW!!!

I know the heartache of not getting what you've set your heart on. Multiple times.

It's hard to accept it in the moment but when you get the big picture through the perspective of time and wisdom, I have come to genuinely believe the saying is true: closed doors are often a blessing in disguise.

It sucks in the moment and is no consolation (believe me, I know) but it's not the end of the world. He has to look for the path that leads to his destiny and fulfillment.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19713 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
Prayers for your son for recovery from his injury and success as he goes through the selection process in March.

Posts: 1104 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I got hurt in boot camp and was cycled into another company…years later I saw what they had written in my record and was flabbergasted. They said I had a morale issue (furthest from the fact as I was highly motivated-my Instructor had stepped on me while I was doing push ups-I can only assume they were beginning of a coverup for the CC) got sent to a new company and a new CC, went ahead to be the head of my company and got the first pick for duty stations.

Tell him to focus on getting healed first, then he can continue to pursue his path.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11308 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
Of course!!
Best of luck to that young proud American.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1853 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of katndog
posted Hide Post
prayers sent

Posts: 2629 | Location: CT | Registered: October 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any man that wants to be a Military Medic will get a prayer from me. Please, relay my deepest gratitude for serving our nation.

Posts: 507 | Registered: February 14, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Done!,

Posts: 11149 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Consider him added. Update as you are able, I love praise reports.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Done! Sounds like a fine young man!

Posts: 1773 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post