New
Find
Notify
Tools

OS X Question Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
I want to try a newer version of OS X to check for compatibility and performance with existing third party software. I do not want it install the newer OS X on the system drive until I have confirmed that everything works as expected.

I have created a bootable installation on an external FireWire drive, created with the external drive connected to a MacBook Pro. Everything seems to work fine. Now I want to confirm compatibility on an iMac.

My question is: Is this installation on the FireWire drive a "generic" version of OS X? Or is it specific to the hardware configuration? I.e, should the OS X installation created on the FireWire drive when connected to a MacBook Pro, boot and work properly on an iMac? Or, will I have to create a second boot image on the FireWire drive (another partition), specific to the iMac?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31385 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It should boot. Might be some settings that don’t move over (screen resolution, keyboards, etc) that you may have to configure. But it should boot fine.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2390 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
All versions of OSX have all the drivers for the models that are supported by that version of the OS. If the version lists that iMac as compatible, it will boot from the partition.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8273 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Great! That makes life a little simpler. I can add whatever software I want to use, boot from the FireWire external drive, and work that way for a while on both the MBP at home and the iMac at work, until I see that the newer version of OS X supports all the software that I use.

Thanks to those who have answered. I appreciate your help.

To answer your un-asked questions, I am working with an older MBP and even older iMac, both running El Capitan. I have High Sierra on the FireWire drive. I can't go any newer than that; the iMac is old enough that High Sierra is the newest version of OS X that is listed for it.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31385 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I have High Sierra on the FireWire drive. I can't go any newer than that; the iMac is old enough that High Sierra is the newest version of OS X that is listed for it.

High Sierra is a good platform, and is still supported with Security Updates until next September. Security Updates are issued every time the current OS (Catalina) jumps a point version, so you can expect 3-4 more Security Updates between now and September. Make sure you get the Security Update that was just released earlier this week. It includes all prior Security Updates.

High Sierra Security Update 2019-007.

BTW, Apple calls its OS macOS now, rather than OS X.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10876 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post