SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Massive high rise fire, dozens of floors engulfed in Changsha, PRC
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Massive high rise fire, dozens of floors engulfed in Changsha, PRC Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted
No Snark Zone, please

If you have ever wondered what it is like to be in a burning torch of a high rise... starting @ 0:13.

quote:
From the video description at YerTub:

A major fire broke out in a skyscraper in the central Chinese city of Changsha, state media reported on Friday, adding that the number of casualties was currently unknown.

"Thick smoke is spewing from the site, and several dozen floors are burning ferociously, state broadcaster CCTV reported.

Firefighters have begun work to extinguish the flames and conduct rescues at the scene,.

The blaze consumed a tall building that housed an office of state-owned telecommunications company China Telecom.

The video showed orange flames searing through the building in a built-up area of the city, as black smoke billowed into the sky.

A video posted on social media by a local news outlet appeared to show the outside of the tower had been charred black.

Changsha, the capital of Hunan province, has a population of about 10 million people.

Massive Fire At China Skyscraper, Dozens Of Floors Burning Ferociously. China Telecom building fire

According the redchinese.commie.gov all employees made it out.

When I travel, I always ask for a room somewhere below the sixth floor or no more than two floors from the roof (135' max reach of the biggest ladder trucks I'm aware of).

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31425 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I HAVE been in a burning building.

This brings terror to me.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34105 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
The thick black smoke and the outside of the building charred black w/ soot would seem to indicate that building is constructed of materials that wouldn't be 'permitted' in the US.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8865 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
I HAVE been in a burning building.

This brings terror to me.

Now imagine the same exact situation on a ship hundreds of miles out at sea. Just one of the reasons why I would never take a vacation on a cruise ship, and I most certainly wouldn't put my family in that perilous environment.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I’m with you Balze. I’ve been aboard two ships that had fires. And I was the number one nozzleman on one of them.

I also don’t stay above the second floor in hotels. Figure I can jump that far or at least dangle off the outside and drop the rest.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MikeinNC,

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11269 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Guess the Chinese building inspector is out of a job.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mikus36
posted Hide Post
Looks like Grinfell towers in London. Combustable exterior cladding / insulation and an air gap running between multiple or all floors.

"It's a Bill of Rights - Not a Bill of Needs"
The World is a combustible Place

Posts: 353 | Location: Washington | Registered: April 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Never been in a burning building but was in an Army Squad that got trapped in a forest fire and ran out on a carpet of fire retardant dropped by a plane.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
The thick black smoke and the outside of the building charred black w/ soot would seem to indicate that building is constructed of materials that wouldn't be 'permitted' in the US.

When I worked as a residential building superintendent, if the garage had living space above it, the garage ceiling required type x fire resistant drywall. Not doing so would fail an inspection immediately. Also required 1.5" screws. Some crews tried to cheap out with 1" screws and failed inspection.

I wonder if China has any building codes. Doubt it but maybe someone here knows.

Posts: 13091 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
^
Chinese construction is not known for being top notch.

https://www.reuters.com/articl...India-40638820090627

When I saw the video I immediately thought of the Grinfell Towers fire in London, and the flammable cladding.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had just started a new job before 09/11, which was out of the city center. I was so relieved I no longer worked in a downtown Dallas high rise. Prior I had been on the 12th floor in one building and the 22nd floor of another a few months prior.

Posts: 398 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I sure hope there is not a huge death toll. Sure we won't know the real number from the chicom gubbermint.

I pray all got out.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Seems like a bunch of us have seen construction that was something perilously close to being the causal factors in some of our dreams.

I don’t ride the DC Metro Green Line between Gallery Place and Shaw. Why? I was the paramedic on graveyard. The men I watched work seemed to know their stuff, and then…

… one night… one very early morning actually, I show up grabbed my gear (e.g., Dræger, anemometer), and went “down the hole” to check on things, mostly safety related. It was part of the job and good exercise too, about ten stories up and down and a 1.3 mile walk.

I walk toward the right bore, a ring about 30’(?) in diameter. looking at it because something was odd. I then realized smoke is poring from the top!

I look over in the left borehole and it’s clearer, but still murky.

I dash over to the left tube and take a Dræger tube for nitrous oxides. Normally ten pumps would not colorize it at all. This morning, not even a complete single pump and the tube changed color from end to end. Yazza!

There was a signal to “STOP WORK RIGHT THE HELL NOW!” I triggered it. That brought everyone to a topside muster. There were about 30 men on graveyard. All but three were downstairs.

An “investigation” found some dipshit disconnected two HUGE ventilation fans because they blocked something (at least they unplugged it before moving it). These things moved plenty of air, with a ton to spare. If they work. The night crew was pissed because the night foreman, pissed that they’d let things get that far, made them finish the shift in the yard moving things just because.

My boss came in hours early, stopped at the Superintendent’s office, and then came to me with that “look.” I held up the tube, and explained how it reacted. I showed him the anemometer readings, the other tubes tested (carbon monoxide being a worry), all of which failed. To their credit, my boss, the Superintendent, and topside crane operator and his lander backed my decision to shut work down. It was heady stuff for 25 yo me, having that authority. I never needed to invoke it again while working there.

Why did it happen?

Someone got the bright idea to use diesel powered engines and muckers without supplying adequate air flow. The miners and engineer were unfazed “I’ve seed it so dark you couldn’t see your hand in front of your face!” Usually said by a toothless, tobacco chewing, 30 year old, at the volume of a cannon because “them foam plugs don’t work” and he long ago abandoned “indoor volume.”

Nice is overrated

Posts: 31425 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:

When I worked as a residential building superintendent, if the garage had living space above it, the garage ceiling required type x fire resistant drywall. Not doing so would fail an inspection immediately. Also required 1.5" screws. Some crews tried to cheap out with 1" screws and failed inspection.

I wonder if China has any building codes. Doubt it but maybe someone here knows.

Of course they have building codes.... but, it just doesn't matter, like anything else in that country. Cheap labor, cheap values, cheap politicians, cheap building codes, cheap buildings, nothing real matters, except corruption from high to low, rampant communism and control.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8657 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Like most posters here, I've never been in a large fire of any kind, but I remain greatly concerned that one day that might change.

However, I actually MISSED A major fatal fire in London in November 1987, when I had been down to MoD for the day. Coming up from the deep level of the Northern Line underground platform to street level, I had unwittingly arrived at the top having missed the smouldering trash underneath the bottom/start of the escalator. Ten minutes after I got to the top, it erupted in a mighty flashover that killed 31 commuters, one of whom remained unidentified until just a couple of years ago. Since that time I have never travelled on a subway train in UK.

Posts: 11314 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I hope that the code for two stairwells is enforced.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5962 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
Like most posters here, I've never been in a large fire of any kind, but I remain greatly concerned that one day that might change.

I had the privilege of being in several building fires as a paramedic who was trained in fire suppression and vertical rescue.

It wasn’t until years later that I appreciated the experience.

Nice is overrated

Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Is the building still even standing? There doesn't appear to be any recent updates; all I see are news articles over a day old.

Posts: 9032 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s been extinguished. Seems it’s still standing and no casualties. It’s a Chinese newspaper, so take it for what it’s worth in regards to casualties.

https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202209/1275416.shtml

Posts: 418 | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
I sure hope there is not a huge death toll. Sure we won't know the real number from the chicom gubbermint.

I pray all got out.

Me too. Very sorry for those folks.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8931 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post