SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bathroom remodel questions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bathroom remodel questions Login/Join 
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted
We are looking at remodeling our two bathrooms (typical 1960's California ranch house).

Both are 5 ft x 8 ft. One has a tub-only and the other has a shower only.

I just got a contractor quote for what we ideally would like (black and white tile everything, wanscot, 30" vanity, new toilet, and fixtures. and the price was pretty darn substantial.

Is there a way to save doing this? I've been looking at Swanstone bath and shower walls (https://swanstone.com/index.php?prod=503) and some kind of black and white vinyl flooring.

Any suggestions?

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4253 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
What was the quote? Knowing that we'd be better equipped to respond.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you’re going to do it, do it right. The difference in price between using top quality natural stone tiles Or the Home Depot route is only 15% in cost, but is 50% difference in resale when you go to sell the house. Most of the price of bathroom remodels is the labor.

Posts: 21417 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking $12-$15k per

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14252 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:

Eek

To remodel a 5X8 "room" smaller than most closets? That's a foot wider than a sheet of plywood.

Surely you're kidding.

Posts: 20611 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

A bathroom that size I usually get done with travertine or granite or similar stone, a very nice vanity, everything floor to ceiling for $5-7k with demo and everything.

Edited to add: This remodel price is changing every surface but not moving existing plumbing, walls, or any electrical. That's where things start adding up very quickly. Basically removing all shower and wall tiles (or tub) and replacing, flooring, replacing tub, frameless shower door, toilet, and a quality vanity.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jimmy123x,

Posts: 21417 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Whats your long-term plan living there? Resale value will be much better with real tile on the shower/tub walls and floor.

I dislike those shower/tub surrounds for anything but rentals.

What was the price? Did it include everything? Lights/fan, tub/sink faucets, tile, sink, toilet etc.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16452 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just quoted a bath remodel 5 x 8. Demo plaster walls and ceiling. Demo tile wainscot and tile around tub/shower. New tub/shower. Reuse existing water closet and pedestal vanity. New electrical, fan lights and GFI outlet. New subway tile wainscot and around tub. Tile floor. Total Bid $13,720.00. In regards to your quote you might look at Corian for the wall surrounds as I believe they make a 1/4" thick product where most everyone else is 1/2" thick.

Posts: 24 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: July 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
If your handy, do it yourself over a weekend...save cash.

If you're not handy, watch some youtube videos, take a week off work, and do it yourself Cool

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
Whats your long-term plan living there? Resale value will be much better with real tile on the shower/tub walls and floor.

I dislike those shower/tub surrounds for anything but rentals.

What was the price? Did it include everything? Lights/fan, tub/sink faucets, tile, sink, toilet etc.

I plan to live in the house forever so I don't really care about resale value and I'm sure I'll probably re-do it again someday.

The tile price for two bathrooms and the kitchen backsplash (not including material) was $12,500. The contractor broke everything down by task and material rather than individual room since I'd be having him do things throughout the whole house.

Posts: 4253 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
If your handy, do it yourself over a weekend...save cash.

If you're not handy, watch some youtube videos, take a week off work, and do it yourself Cool

I wish. I've seen bathrooms friends have "remodeled" that way...they tend to look like it.

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Location, location, location.

Though a bit bigger, there quotes for my two bathrooms (in san diego) were higher than I was expecting.

What about doing it yourself? A high school degree isn't required to be hired to perform any of the tasks required. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14160 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
We redid a bathroom several years ago. It was a gut job. Replaced tub & surround with a shower of the same footprint as the tub, glass (not clear) inset window in one end of the shower to admit more light to that part of thee bathroom. Glass sliding doors for the shower area. All new lighting, combo fan/heater in the shower/stool area. Put in a "rain" type showerhead with a separate handheld spray head mounted up high so it can be a second showerhead, using a diverter valve, or can be used handheld. Replaced single low sink with a double at 42 inches in a custom built cabinet. New stool, new flooring. Whole deal was about $13K.

FYI for the shower, countertops and sinks, we used this:

Onyx Collection

Looks great, have had no issues with it, cleans up easily - rinse it with the spray head, squeegee it down after every shower and clean it more thoroughly with mild soap and water periodically. Would not hesitate to use it again in another BR remodel.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3796 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:

Eek

To remodel a 5X8 "room" smaller than most closets? That's a foot wider than a sheet of plywood.

Surely you're kidding.

I was quoted $18k for a double vanity, new shower stall, replacement toilet, tiled floors, shower, and half wall in rest of bathroom. I got a second quite ant it was $16.5k. I did it myself for $3,879.45.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I've done two of my bathrooms down to the studs. Doing it right, new electrical, plumbing, and tile, it took me two weeks each, working every day. I wouldn't do it for someone else for less than $6K + materials.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8279 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I'd pay someone for tile work and a shower pan but I feel very comfortable doing just about everything else.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9750 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
It's a lot of labor you'll pay for.
This was over 10 years ago (and two houses) ago, but my wife at the time had the downstairs bathroom remodeled. Gut the whole thing, install new jacuzzi tub, fancy power flush toilet, exhaust fan, etc. It was $9k and it took them two weeks.
broken up with two weeks in the middle because they found plumbing issues and floor issues with the bathroom above it. It took me two weeks to rip out the floor and redo the plumbing, replace the floor, and I changed the toilet and sink while I was at it. It was much cheaper but I didn't have the time to do it even though I did it.

so if you're good with paying for the labor, then go for it.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8174 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:

Eek

Surely you're kidding.

My in-laws spent over $10,000 to renovate their master bathroom and it's not that big and they didn't go really that high end. The issue is the house was built in 1950 and the bathroom was built like a bomb shelter with like 3 inches of CONCRETE under the tile that all had to come out as they went from a tub to a shower stall.

You'd be surprised at how much stuff costs to do properly these days.

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bonfire
posted Hide Post
We just got a quote for our bathroom and it was 14k. This was just for extending the shower into a closet area. We also got a quote just to retile a 3x3 shower and it was 6k.
Seems to me that contractors have so much work they are giving these high estimates hoping folks want it bad enough that they will pay for it. We had one guy who said he did not take any jobs under 10k.
I am going to teach myself on how to tile. Had to teach myself woodworking so I could save some money on cabinets.

In war, truth is the first casualty. Aeschylus Greek tragic dramatist (525 BC - 456 BC)

Posts: 465 | Location: North of Seattle | Registered: March 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
From a recent quote I received to redo my shower and tiles figure $85 an hour for labor( which is what I charge for my tower teams by the way). The quote was $6K+.

Decided to do some cosmetic (paint, lights, fixtures) work myself as the misses hates it.

This is from a upper middle class area N of DFW

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post