SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Avast there matey. Did ye hear the news? The Ocean Race 2023 < muffled boom > BEGINS!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Avast there matey. Did ye hear the news? The Ocean Race 2023 < muffled boom > BEGINS! Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Continuing the drift...I grew up with a love of boats, and especially sailboats; my father was a rag bagger to his core, and he passed it on to me. I have no feeling for modern designs; I know they are more efficient, but their aesthetics leave me indifferent to cold. My eyes are focused on the past; I know, I'm getting old. So be it. Got no pics to share, but they are in my mind's eye.

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

The hell are they all doing INSIDE the boats!?!?

Trying to stay "dry." Actually, I believe the Race wanted to bring the crews below decks as much as possible due to the last Race, where John Fisher, a Brit based in Adelaide, Australia, was lost overboard from Team Sun Hung Kai/Scallywag in the Auckland, New Zealand to Itajai, Brazil leg of the Race.

Anyway, not exactly Farr 80s are they? What is that curved thing sticking out each side? I don't want to know. I'm just going to crawl back under my rock and dream about a Crealock 37 built by Pacific Seacraft.

Hydrofoil blades that are used to lift some 65% of the hull out of the water. It is one reason the IMOCAs are so fast. Boats in 35+ knots of wind can reach 28+ knots over the water. I believe hydrofoils are de debil.

There were two boat types I wanted as a lad, the first a Cheoy Lee 44 ketch, the second a Golden Hind 31.

Cheoy Lee 44

Golden Hind 31

Beautiful boats. One of my handles on another site is, "Morgan41ketch".

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chillin out
Picture of florida boy
posted Hide Post
I'm still partial to monohulls. I miss the days of racing my J24 and later on my Flying Scot.

I practice Shinrin-yoku
It's better to wear out than rust out
Member NRA
Member Georgia Carry

Posts: 3813 | Location: Union County, Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
GUYOT environement - Team Europe dismast disaster!

Leg 4, Itapjie, Brazil to Newport, RI is nearly over and GUYOT, the leader at the time, was dismasted last night.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post