SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Joe Biden on the campaign trail: "If you like your health care plan, ..." // biden is out !
Page 1 ... 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 ... 709
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Joe Biden on the campaign trail: "If you like your health care plan, ..." // biden is out ! Login/Join 
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:

What happens to the money set aside for his campaign?

It would go to Kackles if she is on the ticket in either position (besides kneeling or heels up). If Kackles is not on the ticket, then all the money must go back to the donors who can re-donate once the checks have cleared.

But what people actually do is "suspend" their campaign indefinitely. Then when they retire, they do get to keep the money. At least, that's how I remember campaign donations used to work and I don't think they would pass a law to negate that.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20018 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
My favorite ex-Satanist political commentator's take on what happens this weekend with TyphoidJoe.

The Cliff Notes version:

No matter what TyphoidJoe does, resign, stay in office but drop the reelection bid, or stay in the race, it will be utter chaos within the Democratic party.

At the prospect, my response is "I never knew Schadenfreude was this much fun!"

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31996 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
It’s like taking the car keys from a parent with Alzheimer's. You do it before they are too incapacitated to drive but way before they cause death and destruction. My dad was stubborn and pissed about it. He wouldn’t listen to us so we talked with his physician. Doc told him and warned if he didn’t surrender the privilege, he’d notify the State. When he was cornered, he angrily gave in. Now these years later he knows we were right.

Biden is equally reluctant but is nearly omnipotent. He has to be compelled in other ways. He wants to stay because he has a god complex and doesn’t want to give up the power. He’s an addict and this the first palpable step to his decline to insignificance. Imagine that. Joe being forced to be what he really is.

I’d prefer to see him stay in it and watch him eat a drubbing defeat. But being rejected by his own commies is good enough if that’s all I can get. This man has been an imbecilic barnacle in our lives for far too long. I’ve wish an Herodian fate on him for years. I’ll spit on his grave, I’m nearly ashamed to say, though as we’ve learned, another rectum take his place. But at least now after 40 years I’m almost free of him.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29905 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
https://ewerickson.substack.co...rue&utm_medium=email

Where We Stand
ERICK-WOODS ERICKSON
JUL 19

Donald Trump gave a very good speech last night. But we should focus on Delaware this morning. Also, Hulk Hogan was awesome.

The next major presidential speech we get might come from Joe Biden withdrawing from the presidential race.

Here’s what I have been told by senior Democrats I trust.

Biden has not made a decision, but has begun to lean towards withdrawing.

Biden does not want an open convention and wants a plan to avoid one.

Contrary to what Mark Halperin is hearing, I have been told very clearly that while Biden would be open to any direction, Kamala Harris is his preference.

Kamala Harris is the preference of the congressional black caucus and Jim Clyburn.

Biden will not get out without a way to avoid chaos.

While Democrats are growing confident he has been persuaded, including from his conversation with Nancy Pelosi and frank polling conversations conducted at Biden’s request this past week, he is still, at this moment, hanging on.

If Biden withdraws, he is not expected to resign the presidency, but will stay in office.

Here’s my personal view.
I think this all sounds like Biden is out sick and they’re trying to manufacture a conversation that takes on a life of its own to push him out.

Remember, in 2005, Republican staffers on Capitol Hill made up stories about Harriet Miers that the media reported as fact. It took on a life of its own, shaped Miers’s confirmation process, and ultimately led to the withdrawal of her nomination.

This feels like the same thing to me.

Notwithstanding that, I do trust the people I am talking to. Likewise, there has been a noticeable shift on Morning Joe towards Biden departing, which sounds like Democrats persuading the show talent to talk that way knowing Biden will be watching.

But just consider:
Senior Democrats would not leak to Mark Halperin of Newsmax anymore they they would give me the map of future plays. I certainly trust the Democrats I talked to, but even they were very definitive that it is not a done deal and Democrats have to give Biden a plan to avoid chaos. It certainly wouldn’t be Sunday.

Even with a plan they said Biden has to pull the trigger and hasn’t.

And Jon Meacham has gone on the record to vehemently deny Mark Halperin’s reporting about helping Joe Biden draft his withdrawal.

And senior Biden team members are not only vigorously denying it, they are furious and feel disrespected, which means Biden is furious and disrespected.

This sounds way more like Democratic strategists being too clever by half and overplaying their hand while Joe Biden is out sick. This risks getting his Irish fired up.

Y’all, I got attacked for saying this after the debate, but I’m going to say it again.

The man is the father of two drug addicts who abandoned his young sons after their mother was killed so Joe could play Senator in Washington. His favorite son died. His surviving son turned the dead son’s widow into a crack addict. Joe’s wife plays doctor teacher. This is not a functional family capable of sitting down and saying, “Dad/Dear, retire.”

The Democrats’ Best Strategy
They should go to Delaware on Saturday, congratulate Joe Biden on two successful terms in office, and ask him if he will give the Monday night nominating speech for Kamala Harris at the DNC since she’s secured enough delegates to be their presidential nominee.

He’ll never know the difference.

Posts: 5532 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Today, WH spokesman Andrew Bates empathically denied the rumors of Biden considering exiting the race.

Whether or not it's true, it's good, because every day of uncertainty about Biden's future brings us closer to the DNC and to the election.

After last night, with a strong Trump speaking for close to two hours, the Dems have fallen further into disarray and they look like absolute shit.

Posts: 109043 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
The longer Biden stays in, the more damage he does to their chances. Good.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29905 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:

The Cliff Notes version:

No matter what TyphoidJoe does, resign, stay in office but drop the reelection bid, or stay in the race, it will be utter chaos within the Democratic party.

At the prospect, my response is "I never knew Schadenfreude was this much fun!"

I somewhat disagree with Styx in regards to Joe resigning from the presidency, I just don't see that likely happening. I wouldn't be surprised that Joe's family do not want resigning to define his career like Nixon. Laura Ingraham, someone who has been around D.C. since the 80s, says the Biden's are the most stubborn, greediest political family she has ever seen, she doesn't see Biden bowing out, and I see her point. Joe has three really shitty options laid out by Styx, and I'm still convinced the family will choose the one that puts Biden's legacy in the best (but really shitty) light- staying in the race and losing to Trump. Styx is right; bowing out of the race means that he is also incapable of finishing the next 5 months of his term. The Democrats are fucked six ways to Sunday and they know it.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17153 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Link

What Biden means when he says DNC delegates are 'free to do whatever they want'

MILWAUKEE — High-profile Democrats are increasingly unhappy that President Joe Biden is running for reelection and continue to put pressure on the 81-year-old incumbent to put an end to his campaign.

But Biden isn't the only one who could upend the race for the White House.

The 3,896 delegates themselves who will assemble next month at the Democratic National Convention in Chicago are within their power to vote for someone besides Biden - even though he won their states' primaries earlier this year.

That's because of a section in the DNC rules referred to as the "good conscience" clause.

Rule 13(J) reads as follows: "Delegates elected to the national convention pledged to a presidential candidate shall in all good conscience reflect the sentiments of those who elected them."

At a press conference last week, Biden acknowledged this reality when he said his delegates are "free to do whatever they want" at the DNC.

He was referring to a DNC rule that hasn't always been there. It got changed in the 1980s.

Before that, if a delegate voted contrary to the way they were elected during the primaries, they would be replaced by an alternate delegate who'd cast a vote for the candidate who won the original delegate's vote.

Now, a delegate at the DNC can vote for anyone they choose if they, in all good conscience, represent their beliefs.

Elaine Kamarck, a senior fellow at the Brookings Institute and member of the DNC rules committee, told USA TODAY this reasoning has never been defined further and has yet to be used on a scale grand enough to change the outcome of a nomination.

She also said she doesn't think this is going to happen this year, even with all Biden's objectors.

There is "no such thing as Biden releasing his delegates," she said. She predicted that in the event Biden did back down, his endorsement of a replacement candidate could be an effective way of steering his supporters' votes to someone else.

It's via this route that Vice President Kamala Harris could end up as Biden's presumptive replacement on the Democratic ticket this November.

more at the link

Posts: 24223 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
If that scenario occurs, the Dem convention will be a three-ring circus.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:

I somewhat disagree with Styx in regards to Joe resigning from the presidency, I just don't see that likely happening. I wouldn't be surprised that Joe's family do not want resigning to define his career like Nixon.

Grima Jill is going to ride the Joe Biden mule until it drops. The rate of his mental and physical decline appears to me to have accelerated in the last few weeks, due no doubt to the extremely high pressure Joe is under, and unless they get him into serious rest, I am not sure he has enough breaths left in him to make it much further. If Sleepy Joe becomes Forever Rest Joe soon, it clears up a lot of room for Kamala, plus she can hitch a ride on the sympathy bus to get some support. Not that any of this really matters in the long run, and I am not suggesting there is any plan, just looking at Joe's physical decline and considering the obvious.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4997 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
What strikes me as bit odd is that the grounds for Joe to bow out of the election would be feeble, frail, declining mental acuity and possibly illness.

Those seem to be similar grounds to invoke the 25th but no one is talking about that. If they wanted to really get the Dem base going, invoking the 25th would get Kamala in as Prez and then she'd have a bully pulpit and platform, instead of the shit show from an open convention.

Just a thought...

Posts: 4249 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
We certainly live in interesting times.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...050018905#1050018905

Posts: 8671 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
^^^^^

What a glorious prospect.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31996 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
If they wanted to really get the Dem base going, invoking the 25th would get Kamala in as Prez
That would be a disaster for the country.

Posts: 9251 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
This is just another pressure coup attempt. Joe is hanging in there and we still have nothing to indicate Jill or Hunter are advising him to consider taking himself off the ticket. A huge amount of this is wishful thinking on the part of our broken media. 'Anonymous sources' is now code for just making shit up. Joe is terrible and he does indeed have dementia, but he is one stubborn bag of air. Run, Joe, run!!!

Posts: 2037 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
^^^^^

It is going to be 3-ring circus regardless. Chicago. No clear candidate. Infighting. Guaranteed protests, crime outside. No clear platform, just the same shit everyone hates now. Etc. Etc. The Dems are on such a self-destructive path, I don't see one single positive thing happening to them in the coming months.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17153 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
quote:
If they wanted to really get the Dem base going, invoking the 25th would get Kamala in as Prez
That would be a disaster for the country.

It would be horrible but she polls the best between herself, Gretchen and Gavin.

Even with a floor fight convention, the Dems don't have any appealing balance to their ticket, regardless of who they pick as the nominee and vice president. They have nothing to draw on.

Posts: 4249 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug Schoen, an old school Democrat, had an excellent article about the RNC and DJT today:

“Donald Trump may well have sealed the outcome of the 2024 election with a performance on Thursday night in Milwaukee that has largely been unmatched in recent American political history.

The former president eschewed the polarization and division that has marked much of his rhetoric in the past. In his speech officially accepting the Republican Party's nomination there were only a couple of references to the 2020 election. Trump was able to hit on key messages when speaking about topics like inflation, and especially immigration, in ways that were compelling and arguably responsive to the fundamental concerns of Americans…”

https://www.foxnews.com/opinio...ion-may-already-over

Posts: 5232 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
So much for all the hopeful, blind-ass predictions from the talking heads.

Biden says he will 'back on campaign trail next week'

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 109043 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
So much for all the hopeful, blind-ass predictions from the talking heads.

Biden says he will 'back on campaign trail next week'

I Sure hope so! I don't want the entertainment portion of the presidential race to end.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...050018905#1050018905

Posts: 8671 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post