SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Joe Biden on the campaign trail: "If you like your health care plan, ..."
Page 1 ... 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 ... 646
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Joe Biden on the campaign trail: "If you like your health care plan, ..." Login/Join 
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by divil:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
I wonder if the FBI is corrupt.

I don’t think you have to wonder any longer.

F amous
B ut
I ncompetent

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:

I suggest anyone who thinks this can't really go south some day read the book "Ordinary Men: Reserve Police Battalion 101 and the Final Solution in Poland". These guys thought what they were doing was fine as they were only following orders too. It shows how a normal person can turn into an absolute monster. Keep telling yourself "it can't happen here" because history loves to prove people who say that wrong.

That is a chilling book, and I highly recommend it.

In one chapter, they were out murdering Jews, and they got offended because somebody brought his pregnant wife along. They were perfectly fine with brutalizing and murdering old men, women, children, etc, but there was a line that was crossed by exposing this to a pregnant (German, of course) woman. It just wasn't 'appropriate.' In another instance, a German NCO wrote a letter of protest because he was expected to swear an oath that he would not violate orders (there was theft or something going on and the higher-ups wanted all the men to swear they would not steal). This NCO, who routinely murdered dozens of innocent people at a time, felt his 'honor' was being challenged because his chain of command would not trust him to obey his orders. He was fine murdering Jews, but he was prepared to dig in and REFUSE to obey an order he felt was unjust. And, his chain of command backed down. The Nazis were NOT all mindless drones.

I have argued for decades that the Nazis and Hitler were not 'monsters.' A 'monster' is an aberration; a one-in-100-million fluke. Besides, 'monsters' only exist in sci-fi, fantasy, etc. The Nazis were something MUCH more terrifying than 'monsters' - they were 'human beings.'

There are people alive today who would GLADLY put people on railcars and run them through concentration camps. They would, furthermore, think they were serving a greater good; doing a dirty job that is necessary in order for society to benefit. They would sleep the sleep of the righteous, knowing in their hearts they were nobly doing what needs done. We've seen reports recently of liberals outright stating as much (such as sending us to 're-education camps').

This nation is trending in a very dangerous direction. There are so many parallels between now and 1930's Germany that one almost has to be willfully blind to not see them. We've already seen our 'Reichstag fire' (the so-called 'capitol riots'). We've begun the blatant de-humanization of an entire class of 'undesirables' (conservatives). We've seen the media sell out heart and soul to the leftists (even 'conservative' outlets like fox news who refused to cover the election fraud but now act like they are back on our side). We've seen a group-think mentality take hold that CRIMINALIZES any 'unapproved' speech or even thoughts (especially regarding race or the whole alphabet soup gender nonsense).

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21863 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I hesitated about asking this question because I know that it will be completely misinterpreted by many, but for those who take time to read and understand my point, something to ponder:

History is full of examples of people who “just follow orders,” or at least conform to common practices in the group. Despite what some people tried to convince young people like me in the period following World War II, Nazi-inspired/directed actions demonstrated far more about that general human trait than it did about some genetic flaw in the average German. The Germans were not the only ones during and following the war who committed large scale atrocities, notably the Japanese, the Russians, and the residents of the so-called “blood lands” between east and western Europe. The same sorts of things have occurred more recently, most obviously in Africa, and of course throughout history all over the world.* In other words, I would argue that yielding to such group pressures is far more common than resisting them.

If vast numbers of people can be easily swayed to abandon what are supposedly basic moral principles and commit the most horrible acts against their fellow human beings, my question is why would we expect (in the sense of anticipate, not desire) that some small subset like the police or military in this country would be any different? I realize that many people don’t really expect that the things they demand in their posts will actually ever come to pass and are just venting their ire and frustrations, but I do wonder about this issue: If you call for police officers to give up their careers and everything that that involves over something like enforcing a law they don’t like, do you truly believe that any significant number will think and act as you believe they should?

If you think about this question, please note that it’s about what will happen, not what should happen.

* And if you do think atrocities throughout history were limited to those committed by Nazis, I recommend you expand your knowledge. The subject is depressing, but although it’s a fantasy wish on my part, it’s nevertheless something everyone should know and understand.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47486 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Right off the top of my head, I would hope it would be different here....in America. And most of those in those types of positions, probably came from a more conservative background. I'm playing the odds here, but who really knows how it will play out. The FBI is certainly one big disappointment.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38888 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Joe responds to “Dr” Jill Big Grin

NSFW:

Joe Responds To “Dr” Jill

Posts: 34104 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Biden doing the creepy whispering thing again, WTF is going on with this guy? Eek

Creepy Whispering Joe

He’s lost it. I can’t believe this insanity.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3626 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I'm going to assume that Joe never ran a small business in his life.

I'm willing to bet that even his lifeguard gig was a government job.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11008 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
That whispering is F'n surreal. Confused

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6254 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
That whispering is F'n surreal. Confused
I haven't even watched it and I'm freaked out.

Posts: 108154 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I do wonder about this issue: If you call for police officers to give up their careers and everything that that involves over something like enforcing a law they don’t like, do you truly believe that any significant number will think and act as you believe they should?

If you think about this question, please note that it’s about what will happen, not what should happen.

* And if you do think atrocities throughout history were limited to those committed by Nazis, I recommend you expand your knowledge. The subject is depressing, but although it’s a fantasy wish on my part, it’s nevertheless something everyone should know and understand.

We committed atrocities also, not just Nazis and other countries. And we did it in just about every war we've ever been in. Not on as large a scale as some others, but it did happen.

And no, I don't expect police/military to do the right thing if and when the time ever comes. I fully expect they'll "follow orders" until someone discourages that with force and at that point the majority will stop following orders. There will be things that are more important to them than their careers.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This man said it best. “War is Hell” William Tecumseh Sherman

I got ahead of myself, (war atrocities) I didn’t see Joe reprise Alan Ladd in the 1948 Western, “Whispering Smith”. Once a plagiarist, always a plagiarist with Joe.

Posts: 5772 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Kamala Harris "went to the border" today

She flew into El Paso Texas. She toured an El Paso Border Patrol Station.

She met with faith based organizations and shelter and legal service providers.

Then she flew on to California.

"VP Harris not even going to the actual border. Just the airport and BP station - miles from the border. All on her way home to CA"

phony, fake and "for show only" as is so much of the biden administration

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/...border-trip-n2591608

"Wait, Kamala Harris Hardly Left the Airport for Her 'Border' Trip?"

Posts: 19671 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
In the fifty plus years I've been around there has never been a more empty suited VP. This moron would have to walk a thousand miles to even begin to see a glimmer at the end of the tunnel.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
on page 280 there is a pic of 5 RINO REP senators agreeing to a "bipartisan" infrastructure plan.

biden screwed these RINOs two hours later

https://www.powerlineblog.com/...ble-cross-system.php

Biden stood with five Democratic and five Republican Senators at the White House and endorsed their trillion-dollar infrastructure outline. Back-slapping and self-plaudits all around.

But two hours later the President said he won’t sign the infrastructure bill unless the Senate also passes the other $3 trillion or more he has proposed in tax increases and multiple new entitlement programs.

“What we agreed on today is what we could agree on. The physical infrastructure. There’s no agreement on the rest,” Mr. Biden said. “If this is the only thing that comes to me, I’m not signing it.” Mrs. Pelosi issued the same ultimatum: “We will not take up a bill in the House until the Senate passes the bipartisan bill and a reconciliation bill” (that could pass without GOP support).

Most politicians at least wait a decent interval to pull a double cross. But Mrs. Pelosi and Mr. Biden are trying to prevent a revolt on the left. So they are now holding a bipartisan deal hostage to the left’s demands. This is political blackmail aimed at Democrats like Joe Manchin and Kyrsten Sinema who are part of the bipartisan Senate Gang of 10: Unless they sign on to all of the progressive tax-and-spend agenda, they won’t get their bipartisan deal. And Mr. Biden and progressives will blame them for the failure.

Posts: 19671 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
In the fifty plus years I've been around there has never been a more empty suited VP. This moron would have to walk a thousand miles to even begin to see a glimmer at the end of the tunnel.

I've been around a few more years than you and I couldn't agree more!

Posts: 7592 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^ How much do you want to bet that the next theoretically tame reporter who interviews Kamala can't resist asking her what she actually saw down on the border?
quote:

BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAA!!!!

So the RINOs have pissed off most of the Republicans (in the Senate and at the grass roots level, mind), have been made to look like fools in front of everyone else, and now get to go home to trill about "reaching across the aisle in order to get things done for the American people" to their constituents! Dear oh dear, Joe must be stupid - one couldn't be evil enough to come up with as effective a plan to humiliate those five Senators this way.

Any bets on what this means for Chipmunk's confirmation as head of the ATFE? How about votes to confirm any other Biden nominees any time soon?

Posts: 27295 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigalert:
He’s lost it. I can’t believe this insanity.

He thinks he's emulating the obama whisper. He's not.

Posts: 20225 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
According to the printed itinerary for the fawning press, Harris was on the ground in Texas for about 4.5 hours.
Wow... Big help. Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16218 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
And Mr. Biden and progressives will blame them for the failure.
Which doesn't matter one bit. What matters is whether their voters will hold it against them, and given the BS so far in this administration, I'm thinking not. I do however hope Murkowski, Collins, Portman, Romney and that other guy have one hell of a time trying to remove the crap lavished on them by these other retards.
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
So the RINOs have pissed off most of the Republicans (in the Senate and at the grass roots level, mind), have been made to look like fools in front of everyone else, and now get to go home to trill about "reaching across the aisle in order to get things done for the American people" to their constituents!
I know we don't like polls and its way to early to really predict next year, but Murkowski's opponent, a relative nobody, is currently polling 25% ahead. Trump is apparently heading to Alaska to help stump for her. I so hope Alaskans have had enough of this moron and opt to send her packing.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
on page 280 there is a pic of 5 RINO REP senators agreeing to a "bipartisan" infrastructure plan.

https://www.powerlineblog.com/...ble-cross-system.php

And the fun, having begun, grows:
quote:
White House Scrambles To Manage Fallout Of Biden's 'Tandem' Remarks
Christopher Cadelago and Natasha Korecki, with Alex Thompson Politico, 6/25/2021

Joe Biden said the quiet part out loud and paid a price for it. Reveling in his bipartisan win on infrastructure Thursday, the president declared that he would not sign the deal he'd just endorsed unless a separate bill including his other domestic priorities arrived on his desk, too. Whether deliberate or not, the comment set off a cascade of events in and out of the Oval Office that had aides putting out fires the next day and raised questions about the future of their prized $1 trillion bipartisan deal.

With Republicans threatening to abandon the deal, Steve Ricchetti, one of Biden's lead negotiator, who a day earlier had been credited by the president for his efforts shepherding the deal, scrambled to contain the fallout on Capitol Hill. Both he and Louisa Terrell, the White House top congressional liaison, told the senators involved in the negotiations that Biden was enthusiastic about the deal and would soon hit the road to tout its benefits as well as the merits of bipartisanship.

According to two sources familiar with his efforts, Ricchetti told Republicans that the White House was going to clarify the comments.
A White House official disputed the notion that Ricchetti suggested Biden may have misspoke - an impression that those two sources said was left. The official said that the president's team anticipated dustups during the early phases of the process and noted that White House press secretary Jen Psaki several times during Friday's briefing took a softer tone than Biden did on Thursday.

But the clean up was not to the degree some Republicans hoped. During her daily briefing, Psaki said it shouldn't have been surprising to the GOP senators that Biden planned to proceed on "two tracks," a point that didn't address their concerns about Biden's implicit veto threat.

By mid-afternoon, the fury over the president's remarks had subsided for some after an afternoon phone call between key Senate negotiators on the package. But others remained frustrated, and the episode underscores the delicate nature of both the deal itself and the relationships among the principals involved. Even for Biden - who proudly touts his capacity to glad-hand - it has proven difficult to maintain consensus among a small group of moderate Senators from both parties.

That may be because the path to passing either of those plans is painfully thin. While Republicans scoffed at Biden for pledging that he would only sign the infrastructure bill "in tandem" with another reconciliation package that Democrats expect to pass on their own, liberals cheered him on. After months of fears that they would lose out on some of their top priorities if the White House worked with Republicans, the president had provided them with a clear path forward for moving climate change legislation, Medicare expansion and many more progressive priorities.

Inside the White House, there is a belief that Senate Republicans outside the group of negotiators are keen on finding any means they can to kill the deal. And senior Democrats portrayed Republicans as feigning outrage over something they should have known to be the case all along. "Some of this is performative - those Republicans presumably read the occasional newspaper and knew that the 2-bill thing was the only ticket," Third Way's Matt Bennett wrote in a text. "So I think they'll get over their shock (SHOCK) at Biden's making it plain."

But, elsewhere, the White House gave off hints of trying to walk back Biden's comments without acknowledging they were doing so. The president personally spoke to Sen. Kyrsten Sinema (D-Ariz.) on Friday - the top negotiator for the Democrats - and told her he would "fight to pass the Bipartisan Agreement, as he committed to the group," according to a White House readout of the call. The statement was careful to note that Biden had mentioned his support for the reconciliation bill while standing alongside the group of senators during a press availability outside of the White House Thursday.

Psaki, meanwhile, never explicitly reiterated Biden's threat to not sign the infrastructure bill if the reconciliation package didn't come, too. She told reporters that the president "fully expects, hopes, plans to sign both into law ans he will leave it to leaders in Congress to determine the timeline and the sequencing."

Republicans weren't pleased with the line from Psaki and pushed back on the idea that they would have agreed to their deal if they knew it was conditioned on the partisan bill. But Democrats remained confident that the infrastructure package was not in jeopardy. "I still think there is a better chance that this gets to 70 votes than it gets to 59 because all those members negotiated in good faith for months," said Jon Kott, a former senior advisor for Democratic Sens. Joe Manchin and Chris Coons. "Nothing has come out today that people didn't know yesterday."

Some compression for space, original text at:
http://www.politico.com/news/2...tructure-bill-496412

I love it.

"SUCKERS!!"

"What? We went out on a limb and negotiated in good faith!"

"Oh, uhmmm, well, we thought you knew. I mean, it's obvious, right? You do have ESP, don't you?"

"No!"

"Oh, um, well, we'll try to embarrass you less in public, but, ah, you're just gonna have to go along with the the tandem deal."

"Why?"

"Because the only two choices we're willing to leave you 'moderates' with is to look either incredibly weak or incredibly stupid. You know."

Posts: 27295 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post