SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Suzuki DR650/ Honda XR650 big bore kit
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suzuki DR650/ Honda XR650 big bore kit Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
I have been looking at street legal dirt bikes and I'm probably going to get a DRZ400SM but I have a question.

How hard would it be to install a big bore kit on a older oil cooled big thumper? From the brief research I've seen on big bore kits for the DR650 and XR650L they look interesting and promising. Good gain in horsepower and decent torque along with what should still be excellent reliability.

If it is not terribly hard to do on the DR650 or XR650 I'm tempted to pick up a high mile bike cheap and put a big bore kit on it.

Bad idea? Should I just get a DRZ400SM and have fun modifying it?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21221 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had an XR for years. Very capable bike. A pig in sand though. And it ran like crap until I plugged and removed all the Kalifornia smog crap off it. So if you go XR, shitcan all that stuff and it will run great!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16381 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I have been looking at street legal dirt bikes and I'm probably going to get a DRZ400SM but I have a question.
Can't speak to the big bore kits, but a few years ago I rode a friend's slightly modded DRZ400SM, and it was about as much fun as anything I've ever straddled. (Maybe I should have phrased that differently. Razz) Not sure upping the displacement would positively impact just how good that bike is in semi-stock form.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I owned a DR-650 for years. It was very reliable but rather bland on or off road. It was more for the gravel 'fire road' type driving, that real dirt. 1st gear was geared high too.

Since I was on pavement 99% of the time I changed over to a CB-1100.

Those 'Adventure' type bikes look interesting, for those that will be on the street a fair amount.

Posts: 6389 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I currently have the S version of the DRZ and it is about as much fun as you can have on road and off. I rode a loop through North Georgia last year that included 110-120 miles on road and another 30 or so on rough forest service roads. It handled it all with ease.

I don't think the bike needs much power outside of a simple 3x3 mod and the MRD pipe. I have 3 different sprocket setups and 2 different chains that I use.

When was looking for my bike, I looked at the XR, DR650, and KLR, but didn't really like the extra weight for a minimal, if any, horsepower gain. I also liked having a water cooled bike instead of air cooled.

Posts: 34 | Location: Lawrenceville, GA | Registered: February 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I dunno how much a big bore will gain you given the cost, reduced resale, and potential nick in reliability? What about just finding a used KTM?

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7261 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Procycle's big bore kit for the DR650 puts down impressive numbers and it isn't really all that expensive. ($660)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21221 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
After doing a bit more research it doesn't look all that hard to install a big bore kit. I guess it will come down to whether I can find a good deal on a DR650 or XR650L.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~