SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bell Collins new scout/attack helicopter
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bell Collins new scout/attack helicopter Login/Join 
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted
Check out the new design being proffered to replace the AH-64 platform as well as the scout function of the Kiowa birds. Very formidable looking craft.

https://www.nationaldefensemag...ut-helicopter-design

A Bell-Collins Aerospace Systems industry team unveiled the design for its Bell 360 Invictus aircraft, which it plans to submit for the Pentagon's future attack reconnaissance aircraft program.

“Bell is absolutely committed to providing the U.S. Army with the most affordable, most sustainable, lowest risk, least complex solution for FARA while meeting all the requirements,” said Keith Flail, vice president of advanced vertical lift systems at Bell.

The program aims to fill an important need for a scout platform following the divestment of the OH-58D Kiowa Warrior. The Bell-Collins Aerospace team is one of five industry players vying to build the Army’s new helicopter. The others are: Boeing, Sikorsky, an AVX Aircraft Co.-L3Harris Technologies team, and a Karem Aircraft-Raytheon-Northrop Grumman partnership.

The Invictus will leverage key technologies taken from the Bell 525 Relentless program, Flail said Oct. 1 during a briefing with reporters at Bell’s Arlington, Virginia, office. Information from the briefing was under press embargo until Oct. 2.

The Invictus helicopter has a single main rotor and a low-drag tandem cockpit fuselage. The system is powered by a single improved turbine engine built by General Electric and is also equipped with a supplemental power unit.

That technology “gives us that extra power and speed that we need,” Flail said.

The platform features an active horizontal stabilizer that keeps the aircraft at the lowest possible drag position, which is advantageous for ratcheting up to high speeds, he noted. It also includes a ducted, canted tail rotor, which aids high speed flight and improves lift. The aircraft's top speed will exceed 180 knots, which is an Army requirement, he added.

The system has a combat radius of 125 nautical miles and can carry a payload of 1,400 pounds. It is also transportable via C-17 aircraft.

The helicopter includes a fly-by-wire flight control system which reduces pilot workload and helps lay the groundwork for autonomous flight, according to Bell.
From a lethality standpoint, the Invictus is equipped with a 20 mm gun and has the ability to carry Hellfire missiles, rockets as well as "air-launched effects" that can be deployed from the body of the aircraft.

Bell recently announced that it was teaming up with Collins Aerospace — a unit of United Technologies Corp. — for the FARA competition. Bell will build the aircraft and Collins Aerospace will serve as the mission systems integrator, according to the companies.

The Army has been working to accelerate the FARA program. In the spring, it awarded five other transaction authority prototype agreements to industry for design work. Submissions are due in early 2020. The service plans to downselect to two vendors by March 2020. Those chosen will build prototypes for an eventual flyoff.

The future attack reconnaissance aircraft program is part of the Army’s future vertical lift effort, which is envisioned as a family of new helicopters that will replace the service’s aging platforms. It will include aircraft of various sizes. FARA is meant to fill what the service calls its capability set one, which will be the smallest platform in the family. The aircraft is the Army’s top priority for the future vertical lift initiative.

Jeffrey Schloesser, executive vice president of strategic pursuits at Bell, said FARA is meant to be a “knife-fighter” that’s able to operate in urban canyons and mixed terrain such as mountains, jungles and plains.

In order to achieve success in large-scale combat operations, the Army must be able to penetrate farther and degrade the enemy’s ability to engage aircraft or ground forces. The FARA platform is expected to meet that need, he said.

“We're fully on board supporting the Army and trying to do this,” he said. “We believe that we have a solution that can accomplish those missions. But it's also the lowest risk, and therefore will probably be the lowest-cost aircraft to be able to accomplish these missions," he added.

Some additional information on capability:
Some of the key 360 Invictus features include:

- Lift-sharing wing to reduce rotor lift demand in forward flight, enabling high-speed maneuverability
- Supplemental Power Unit increases performance during high power demands
- Robust articulated main rotor with high flapping capability enabling high speed flight
- Fly-by-wire flight control system—synthesizes technologies, reduces pilot workload and provides a path to autonomous flight
- Speed: >185 KTAS
- Combat radius: 135nm with >90 minutes of time on station
- Achieves 4k/95F Hover Out of Ground Effect (HOGE)
- Armed with a 20 mm cannon, integrated munitions launcher with ability to integrate air-launched effects, and future weapons, as well as current inventory of munitions
- Provisioned for enhanced situational awareness and sensor technologies
- Modular Open Systems Approach (MOSA) enabled by a Digital Backbone from Collins Aerospace
- Robust design integrating lifecycle supportability processes early to ensure high OPTEMPO availability in multi-domain operations
- Design-as-built manufacturing model and digital thread enabled tools to enhance affordability, reliability, and training throughout the lifecycle of the aircraft

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15601 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Those that play Arma 3 know that chopper as the Blackfoot, lol!

Posts: 11170 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
Comanche 2.0? Big Grin

Posts: 12542 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Airwolf?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snake207:
Comanche 2.0? Big Grin

HA!
Exactly what I though, looks a lot like the AH-66 Sikorsky tried to sell 25 years ago.

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10355 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by navyshooter:
quote:
Comanche 2.0? Big Grin

HA!
Exactly what I though, looks a lot like the AH-66 Sikorsky tried to sell 25 years ago.

Do you mean Lockheed's AH-56?

https://www.army.mil/article/2...ay_ahead_of_its_time

Posts: 15909 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:
quote:
Comanche 2.0? Big Grin

HA!

Do you mean Lockheed's AH-56?

https://www.army.mil/article/2...ay_ahead_of_its_time

Nope, the Boeing / Sikorsky RAH-66 Comanche

https://www.militaryfactory.co...l.asp?aircraft_id=49

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Let me be the first to say it, because someone will eventually (whether it's true or not): 20mm isn't gonna cut it; that thing needs a 30mm cannon!

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Comanche 2.0? Big Grin

HA!

Glad it's not just me. LOL

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16190 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
needs way more ordnance

-------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I'm always skeptical when I see a CGI image of a fancy new weapon system and the picture is put out by the manufacturer making the system, rather than the federal customer buying the system.

I wonder how much of this marketing hype, and how much is "Big Army will actually buy this".

Reminds me of the liquid propellant Crusader gun system that was going to revolutionize Army artillery, or the F-20 Tigershark pushed by General Chuck Yeager!

Anyone remember the Sergeant York Mobile Antiaircraft Gun System?

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12784 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
The system is powered by a single improved turbine engine built by General Electric and is also equipped with a supplemental power unit.
In other words, a hybrid!

Posts: 6490 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Comanche 2.0? Big Grin

HA!

My company had the casework subcontract for the Comanche training building at Ft. Rucker. Big beautiful building. We were on the final-final punch when W cancelled the Comanche. Heard it on the evening news. I couldn't believe it: we worked long and hard to get that building ready on time. It was re-purposed for Apache training.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Let me be the first to say it, because someone will eventually (whether it's true or not): 20mm isn't gonna cut it; that thing needs a 30mm cannon!

Logistics, power, re-arm and space aside ...
Well, I'll say it ... rail gun.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:

It also needs a hell of a lot more range than 125 NM. That's nothing.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

I was headed to review current helicopter specs. That sure doesn't seem that great

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark_a:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

I was headed to review current helicopter specs. That sure doesn't seem that great
It has to actually be a 250+ mile range. The 125 is a combat radius.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
From the article, the 125nm range is "combat range," meaning it can undertake combat missions out to 125nm from its landing/refuel base.

The Apache apparently has a ~250nm combat range.

That might not be apples to apples comparisons, i.e.., the 125nm number might be with maximum payload and no external fuel tanks and the 250nm number might be under different conditions. Of course, the comparison could also be wrong the other direction and make the new helicopter even worse in comparison to the apache.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Looks like a millenial tampon.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8696 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Additional note - besides being proposed to replace the Apache, they also say it's supposed to replace the OH-58D. I found a 140nm range listed for the OH-58D.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post