SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does anyone have a ventless cloths dryer
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone have a ventless cloths dryer Login/Join 
posted
Wanting to move my washer dryer to a spot where venting is a real pain.

Does anyone have experience with vent-less clothes dryers?

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
No, but I spent a few years living in a place where the dryer vented into a woman's hose that was tie wrapped onto the exhaust vent.

Worked very well, but heated up the place.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know lots of ways to install an internal vent and all of them are not up to code and are illegal.

I just might have to rip out a ceiling and vent to the outside but want to avoid it.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
When we first moved into our house almost forty years ago we didn't have the dryer vented.
After we saw how much humidity was put into the air (plus the heat) we quickly decided to get the vent installed.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16527 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I can tell you from personal experience that the vents that go up through the wall to the roof don't work nearly as well as venting straight out through an exterior wall. I can only imagine how bad a ventless would be.

Posts: 3437 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My in-laws home has a dryer that vents into a bucket of water. As far as I know, it works. But thinking about the maintenance on that forever, I’d suck it up and do it right the first time!

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1131 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Definitely
NOT Banned
Picture of teombe
posted Hide Post
I’ve had a Miele heat pump dryer for 2 years, and it is hands down the best dryer we’ve had. We actually have a vent in our laundry room, but heat pump dryers don’t use vents. Humidity has never been a problem - we keep a hygrometer in the room, and RH isn’t measurably affected.

Miele Dryers

Posts: 2044 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: February 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
I’ve had an Electrolux model EIED200QSW for awhile. Takes a good bit longer to dry but otherwise it works very well. The clothes get very hot in there even at the lowest temperature setting so I only use that setting and everything comes out great. Weird thing is that when timer says 20 minutes left I can take shirts out, give them a quick snap and put them on a hanger. What would have taken 20 minutes to condense evaporates almost instantly and I don’t need to iron.

Wasn’t wild about getting it but it was all that was available in that size at the time. It’s grown on me over time though and I do like the results, which is what really matters.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My grandmother used to have her dryer and washer in the garage….the dryer vented to that double car garage. But it was also vented to the outside as the garage had a 8x10 area that was concrete venting. The house was built after WWII and is in Fla.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11295 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by teombe:
Miele Dryers

If/when my current dryer needs replacing, this is the type I'll be replacing it with.

Posts: 4985 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TBH:
My in-laws home has a dryer that vents into a bucket of water. As far as I know, it works. But thinking about the maintenance on that forever, I’d suck it up and do it right the first time!

I had one of these. It sucked having to empty the gross lint water and made the kitchen (where dryer was for some reason) hot as hell.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20834 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
This is a timely thread, hope to hear from others who've had experience with these. We are in midst of drawing some house plans and the non-outer wall location of laundry was going to be a problem, builder wants to rearrange things to make this work. These drier types, which I didn't even know existed, may be an option!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12430 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are in hot and humid country. May be an issue.

Posts: 17252 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

Exactly. I'm surprised nobody with a physics background chimed in.

You are using between 2000 and 6000 watts for your dryer, hence the large 240 VAC plug.

All that heat that is made by the dryer is going to stay in your home, which might be a benefit if you are in Idaho in January, but the again, it's moist air. Yuck.

But if you are in Dallas in August, you're just taxing your air conditioner that much more to keep your house cool.

The reason I was hoping someone who knows physics would chime in is I think if your dryer is using 4000 watts, and all exhaust is in your house, then your air conditioner has to use ANOTHER 4000 watts to cool your house again. So I think it's double the energy that you would have used.

Anyone know if that's right????

Oh, not to mention it's damp warm air, which might cause condensation on cooler things in your house. Leads to mold, etc. yuck.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

Exactly. I'm surprised nobody with a physics background chimed in.

You are using between 2000 and 6000 watts for your dryer, hence the large 240 VAC plug.

All that heat that is made by the dryer is going to stay in your home, which might be a benefit if you are in Idaho in January, but the again, it's moist air. Yuck.

But if you are in Dallas in August, you're just taxing your air conditioner that much more to keep your house cool.

The reason I was hoping someone who knows physics would chime in is I think if your dryer is using 4000 watts, and all exhaust is in your house, then your air conditioner has to use ANOTHER 4000 watts to cool your house again. So I think it's double the energy that you would have used.

Anyone know if that's right????

Oh, not to mention it's damp warm air, which might cause condensation on cooler things in your house. Leads to mold, etc. yuck.

I think they are talking about a heat pump unit. Never heard of one before, but if the evaporator and condensor are in the same space very little of the heat should be put into the space. Also I would assume any hot air expelled will pass over the evaporator before being put into the house acting as dehumidifier, which would bring up the question of drain line or condensate pump.

I am just guessing how they work because I've never seen one. If designed as I imagine it, heat and moisture shouldn't be a concern.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20834 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
^^^ interesting, thanks for the info. I wonder if they use more energy than the 3000 to 6000 watts typical for residential units It seems like you usually don't get something for nothing Smile

ETA: I guess if it took too much more in terms of amps than a standard unit, then standard residential wiring couln't be used, so that's a limit. On the other hand, maybe it has to run longer to get stuff dry....

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
^^^ interesting, thanks for the info. I wonder if they use more energy than the 3000 to 6000 watts typical for residential units It seems like you usually don't get something for nothing Smile

ETA: I guess if it took too much more in terms of amps than a standard unit, then standard residential wiring couln't be used, so that's a limit. On the other hand, maybe it has to run longer to get stuff dry....

Got curious and googled them. Here's a video of how it works, it's a completely closed system so very little heat, except maybe from the compressor motor will be going into the air. Also watched a video of some guy with an amp meter, and in his unscientific experiment it was less than 1/3 the energy, which could be expected as mechanical heat is more efficient than resistive heat.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
We have a heat pump type Siemens unit in our house in France. No vent was possible and that was the only solution. It has a tank that fills with water, and you remove it, pour it out each load just like you routinely cleaning the lint filter. Generally it dries adequately, but certainly not as well as the nice gas dryer at our US home. The clothes seem to have a minor damp feeling in them when the cycle is complete.

Posts: 479 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23512 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by teombe:
I’ve had a Miele heat pump dryer for 2 years, and it is hands down the best dryer we’ve had. We actually have a vent in our laundry room, but heat pump dryers don’t use vents. Humidity has never been a problem - we keep a hygrometer in the room, and RH isn’t measurably affected.

Miele Dryers

teombe, I have a question for you. On their website they show the drain hose, but they don't say if the water is pumped up the tube, to say a washer drain pipe, or if it's a gravity drain only. Which setup is yours ?

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8696 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post