SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Taking daughter to range first time tomorrow...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Taking daughter to range first time tomorrow... Login/Join 
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted
Very psyched. I’ve not pushed, waited for her to ask (she is 11).

She’s left handed, so had to convert the older daughter’s 10/22 - went with a pink Magpul. Took out all the spacers, getting it down to ~12.5” LOP - hope that works. (She is ~4’2”).

Mounted up a Burris fast fire, but is wasn’t really bright enough. Changed over to a old Ultra 30mm adjustable brightness red dot - she thought it was cool.

Then - took my Ruger Mk II and stripped off the volquartson thumbrest grips and put back the slab grips back on. It also has a red dot.

So - tomorrow, we’ll pack up eye and ear pro, some zombie targets, a few .22 plates, and head off.

I plan to start her with the 10/22, using a rest; and shooting a plain cardboard at ~10 yards, then work out - and onto metal.

I think I’ll have her use the rest at first for the Mk II too - goal is success and confidence from the start, so why complicate...

Figure first time we’ll stick with the .22s. That should be plenty...

If any one has suggestions, I’m all ears.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope your daughter and you have a great, safe range day, and that she truly enjoys it and that on a fun sport/activity for a lifetime.

I hope that you post pictures of a happy and smiling young lady tomorrow!

ARman

Posts: 3153 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a great day tomorrow is going to be for the both of you!!

I took my son and daughter out to the range for the first time when they were nine and eight respectively.

As far as 'suggestions' go other than those paramount to safety, gun handling, range etiquette, etc., bring along some of her favorite snacks and beverages to enjoy during breaks.

We always enjoyed shooting 'stuff' (filled plastic soda bottles with coloring, gingerbread houses, old pots and pans, empty cans, old dolls, plinking empty shotgun shells of the top of the target stands, shooting at coins taped to the targets, etc.) over paper targets.

Also, try to find a lane not near any shooting any really big calibers, as the noise may startle her.

Have fun!!!

Posts: 3485 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I started my son at 8 yo and he was small for his age. He started shooting a Marlin .22LR bolt action with iron sights, that stuck out underneath his armpit, the LOP was too long, in prone position, and was making quarter sized groups on A17 targets at 50 ft. The next week he was making dime sized groups.

He stuck with the classic competition prone position for the next 2 years, graduating to an Anschutz 1903 Junior rifle. IMO, prone position teaches a lot about breathing and body dynamics. A bolt action teaches patience, proper decision making in a shot. He didn't even look through a scope for a good year. IMO, pure basics of iron sights through a bolt action rifle can go a long way in teaching a child.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16710 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If other people are shooting at the range anything larger than .22, put ear plugs and muffs on her, the reduced noise from the two is more relaxing. Also, I'd start her at closer range than 10 yards......5 yards maybe to start, then move it out after she's gotten to shoot both guns closer. Remember, she has no idea if a 2" group is awesome at 2 yards or 10 yards.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I first started my boys it was with a Chipmunk 22 single shot (they were 4 and 6 at the time. I started them out with shooting drink cans filled with water and cci stingers, the exploding cans really helped them enjoy their first session, kids love action, as they got better I decreased the size of the targets, or moved them farther away, clay targets also work well. My cooking pear tree always had too much fruit so I thinned them when they got about walnut size , great targets. Have fun.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
She’s left handed,....

Left handed, Right handed, that really doesn’t matter that much.
The question is, is she Right Eye, or Left Eye dominant.

My daughter is right handed, but left eye dominant, therefore shoots left handed.

Have her hold her arms straight out overlapping thumbs and first finger to make a hole to see through.
Have her look at your nose through the hole and mover her hands toward her face without turning her head.
It will become clear that she will bring the hole to one eye, her dominant eye.

If right eye dominant she will find it easier to shoot right handed.
If left eye dominant she will find it easier to shoot left handed.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
I really envy you, and the fun you are about to have. I wish I had cherished memories of shooting a brick of .22LR with my Dad, but he didn't get us into shooting with his guns.

These are the times of life where dear, valuable memories are made. I hope you enjoy them.

Also, I hope you've drilled them on safety until they don't want to hear of it anymore. Plinking is funner when everyone follows the safety rules, and they don't have to be reminded ever five minutes.

Enjoy!

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad Apple
of the AAP
Picture of 9mm_shooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Very psyched. I’ve not pushed, waited for her to ask (she is 11).

She’s left handed, so had to convert the older daughter’s 10/22 - went with a pink Magpul. Took out all the spacers, getting it down to ~12.5” LOP - hope that works. (She is ~4’2”).

Mounted up a Burris fast fire, but is wasn’t really bright enough. Changed over to a old Ultra 30mm adjustable brightness red dot - she thought it was cool.

Then - took my Ruger Mk II and stripped off the volquartson thumbrest grips and put back the slab grips back on. It also has a red dot.

So - tomorrow, we’ll pack up eye and ear pro, some zombie targets, a few .22 plates, and head off.

I plan to start her with the 10/22, using a rest; and shooting a plain cardboard at ~10 yards, then work out - and onto metal.

I think I’ll have her use the rest at first for the Mk II too - goal is success and confidence from the start, so why complicate...

Figure first time we’ll stick with the .22s. That should be plenty...

My suggestion is to just focus on having fun. Life is short, and there is never enough time.

Posts: 7793 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: June 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sounds like a fun day!

If you haven't tried it already, maybe consider going to the store and getting a couple six-packs of off-brand canned soda for use as targets? Very fun to shoot. Smile

Posts: 15033 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
shame you can;t take a .22 LR carbine with you ,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54667 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Good for you getting her to the range. I am sure you will have many enjoyable trips.

I have two daughter now 24 and 23. Took them shooting from about 11 years old on. Started with .22 pistol and rifle. It didn't take long until they started asking about the other "bigger" guns I had; said they looked like fun. Well it didn't take long before they were through my collection. Two of their favorites are the .44 Mag Super Red Hawk and the Larue .308 Smile

I will say this, both my daughters had little trouble hitting paper out of the box. I was pleasantly surprised. Started with the .22 Ruger Mark III and it took about 50 rounds to get in the target consistently. When they moved to the .22 Ruger rifle they did even better. I think I started real close like maybe 5-10 yards so they wouldn't get frustrated by missing the paper and to build up a little confidence.

Posts: 1773 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Make sure that she has more fun than you do.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2071 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I took mine about 6 months ago. I get in trouble if I go without her now.

Posts: 7533 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will get by
Picture of Rustyblade
posted Hide Post
Good plan , brought back when my daughter was 5 and I introduced her to handling handguns & the 10-22. By her 7th summer we went 'hot'. May I suggest for your outing that you bring a 32 & a soft 38. So many times a new shooter handles the 38 easier and more accurately than the 22's.

Do not necessarily attribute someone's nasty or inappropriate actions as intended when it may be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

Posts: 1291 | Location: Delray Beach | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
I took mine about 6 months ago. I get in trouble if I go without her now.

Same here. My oldest asked about going to shoot last winter right after she turned 6. Now, I get asked at least a couple times a week when we’re going shooting again. She has pretty much claimed the M&P22c as her own.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
.32/.38 wadcutters are great, much easier to see the holes in the target.

I wish I had suppressors when I taught my son and daughter to shoot at rural property I owned at the time.

Birchwood Casey makes some game targets (Battle at Sea, etc.) that can be fun for a just starting shooter.

Posts: 694 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Success. She wants to go back soon. She can hit 4" plates at 15 yards with both .22s.

Lessons learned - need an even shorter stock for the 10/22, and need a lighter .22 pistol.

And, she did not like getting brass to shoulder from my P320 X5 - but was down 0 at 15 yards on the IDPA target.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Good on ya, Dad!

I get the chance to turn ammo into smoke and noise with my grandson occasionally.

He's 21 and a father now himself but that doesn't seem to have dampened the fun factor any.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15251 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
My lord, she’s a spitting image of my granddaughter. Seriously, they look like they could be twins. I’ll have to find a picture. Unfortunately I have 7000 pics on my phone. It’s a little hard to find one of her.

Glad you two had a good day. Awesome job brother.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4029 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post