SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Medicare to limit opiods
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Medicare to limit opiods Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted
long article. just posting enough to wet whistle

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/0...medicare-limits.html

Medicare might refuse to pay for long-term, high-dose prescriptions; a rule to that effect is expected to be approved on April 2.

The rule means Medicare would deny coverage for more than seven days of prescriptions equivalent to 90 milligrams or more of morphine daily, except for patients with cancer or in hospice. (Morphine equivalent is a standard way of measuring opioid potency.)

Posts: 19606 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GGF
posted Hide Post
I have worked in a hospital all my adult life.
Prescribers are to the point where they seldom give pain pills for anything. Even patients with cancer are referred to a pain clinic.
I pity people with chronic pain, soon even their medicine will be taken away.

GGF

Posts: 698 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Physician told me Ambien (Zolpidem Tartrate) is now being restricted.

One 90 day supply a year, plus mandatory paperwork to fill out and Physician check up each 90 days.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
What we need is more government meddling in our day to day life. The death rate is just not high enough yet.

While I understand there are people with what boils down to addiction problems out there causing a legitimate concern about opioids, I also know this is much like banning guns because some people have them that really don’t need them. I had a son who was manic/depressive. He was prescribed a dose of medicine years ago that evened out the mood swings and he was doing well. A couple of years ago he started having trouble with his back. Turns out he had 2 discs down in the lumbar region that were 80-90% gone. A third disc between these 2 was leaking and apparently about 30-40% gone. Needless to say he was in pain. Shitty Obamacare type insurance that was provided by his company (with $2500/person deductibles) insisted he go through pain management instead of surgery to correct the issue. He spent a year getting put off in favor of pain management even though all of the doctors he went to said pain management wouldn’t fix the physical reality that those discs were gone or going. Of course what he was prescribed for pain was an opioid and it messed up his other medications. He took his own life after receiving yet another rejection for surgery to correct the problem even though I had told him we’d find a way to pay for the surgery out of pocket. So yeah, we need government to tell us what we need to do. Everyone will be better off that way, right?

Pardon the sarcasm, but this sort of well intended government interference just pisses me off.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GGF:
Prescribers are to the point where they seldom give pain pills for anything. Even patients with cancer are referred to a pain clinic.

GGF

That's the bad part.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19721 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:
Originally posted by GGF:

GGF

That's the bad part.

And they will have to go compete with addicts to buy their drugs from illegal drug dealers.

So Mexico and/or China will crank out more synthetic Opioids to meet the demand and we will see pictures on the news of old people and people with terminal illnesses being arrested for trying to buy illegal Opioids.

We will see the same results as with prohibition. We all know how well that went over.

In all honesty, the medical profession bears a lot of blame on this for not seeing this coming and putting it in check.

Posts: 6631 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
What we need is more government meddling in our day to day life. The death rate is just not high enough yet.

While I understand there are people with what boils down to addiction problems out there causing a legitimate concern about opioids, I also know this is much like banning guns because some people have them that really don’t need them. I had a son who was manic/depressive. He was prescribed a dose of medicine years ago that evened out the mood swings and he was doing well. A couple of years ago he started having trouble with his back. Turns out he had 2 discs down in the lumbar region that were 80-90% gone. A third disc between these 2 was leaking and apparently about 30-40% gone. Needless to say he was in pain. Shitty Obamacare type insurance that was provided by his company (with $2500/person deductibles) insisted he go through pain management instead of surgery to correct the issue. He spent a year getting put off in favor of pain management even though all of the doctors he went to said pain management wouldn’t fix the physical reality that those discs were gone or going. Of course what he was prescribed for pain was an opioid and it messed up his other medications. He took his own life after receiving yet another rejection for surgery to correct the problem even though I had told him we’d find a way to pay for the surgery out of pocket. So yeah, we need government to tell us what we need to do. Everyone will be better off that way, right?

Pardon the sarcasm, but this sort of well intended government interference just pisses me off.

Opiods are relatively safe and cheap. As far as Im concerned they oughtta be sold OTC. You wanna OD? You can already do it with booze, who gives a damn? Not me.

The government is completely out of control.

Posts: 5158 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
My Physician told me Ambien (Zolpidem Tartrate) is now being restricted.

One 90 day supply a year, plus mandatory paperwork to fill out and Physician check up each 90 days.

Thank your insurance for that, not the Feds.

A recent survey found that physicians complete an average of 29 prior authorizations per week (!), spending the equivalent of approximately two business days (14.6 hours)* on administrative hassles to receive approvals from health insurance companies and pharmacy benefit managers (PBMs)?

Posts: 17281 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Broadside:
And they will have to go compete with addicts to buy their drugs from illegal drug dealers.

So Mexico and/or China will crank out more synthetic Opioids to meet the demand and we will see pictures on the news of old people and people with terminal illnesses being arrested for trying to buy illegal Opioids.

We will see the same results as with prohibition. We all know how well that went over.

In all honesty, the medical profession bears a lot of blame on this for not seeing this coming and putting it in check.

A few bad doctors... making a killing writing pads of prescriptions. Some of them even knew the prescriptions were being filled and sold on the streets.

But, yeah, making drugs illegal doesn't solve the problem. If people want them, people find a way to get them.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24183 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
This will cause more heroin use.
I was on prescribed fentanyl after my wreck at 500$ a month.
Heroin was suggested as a cheaper alternative. Thankfully I didn't have to try that. I soon got detoxed from all pain meds.
But at that time the pain was so unbearable without top shelf meds.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
I understand that they want to limit them so people do not sell them.
But I wish the people making these rules had to live with Chronic pain just an hour.

I have wished I could transfer what I feel to my Back surgeon for just 5 minutes.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9075 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't blame most doctors for the opioid crisis. Purdue, the inventor of Oxycodone and the long-term version Oxycontin, launched a full-scale marketing plan that led to doctors being instructed to diagnose for pain and prescribe accordingly. Pain was treated as a disease all on its own, and doctors were told to ask if the patient was in pain. Over-prescribing led to the explosion in opiate prescriptions, the result of a marketing war that worked a little too well.

Yep, I now have to get special authorization for the amount of Oxy I need to manage pain. This really hurts (literally) patients who have a legit need for strong pain meds. I expect the situation to only get worse.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16396 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Pain was treated as a disease all on its own, and doctors were told to ask if the patient was in pain.

Not necessarily a disease all on its own, but it (a subjective value) began being treated as an objective value around 25 years ago or so. It became the fifth vital sign. And thus began the downslide.

Blaming the opioids here is no different than blaming guns. The commies just don't learn.

Posts: 20131 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Blue cross blue shield of Alabama is also restricting opioids, that’s ok after their customers get hooked on street drugs they can pay to help them get un-addicted. Them smart folks that run these programs sure can do some dumb stuff.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post