SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    First Time Ski Trip
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First Time Ski Trip Login/Join 
Family Man
posted
My family would like to go snow skiing this winter. We have never been before.

We are considering Colorado or New Mexico in mid-January. I think we would prefer a ski-in/ski-out location.

Anyone have any recommendations or helpful advice?

Thanks.

Posts: 987 | Registered: December 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Where are you flying from?
New Mexico is not user friendly to fly into--then drive 3 hours.
1st Time sking? Novice?
Family? Age of children?

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett257:

My family would like to go snow skiing this winter. We have never been before.

We are considering Colorado or New Mexico in mid-January. I think we would prefer a ski-in/ski-out location.

Anyone have any recommendations or helpful advice?
It has been a lot of years since I've been there, but we always liked Copper Mountain, a bit west of Denver.

There's no location in your profile, don't know where you're traveling from or whether you're driving or flying. It's an easy drive from the Denver airport, or if you're flying and don't want to rent a car, I think there's a shuttle bus.

Nice condos, kitchen-equipped, good choice of restaurants on site, some very gentle slopes for beginners and rental equipment and good lessons available for "never tried this before."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
I am not a skier, however my BIL is a serious skier in Utah. Based on his stories I would book as early as possible. Last season was tough on the ski industry so they will want to make up for lost business. Also, skiers didn't get much skiing in last season and they will be out in droves.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 715 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll let others comment on location and logistics, where I can weigh-in on is what to where and some clothing.

For winter sports, you build from the bottom up, whereas warm warmer conditions you go from top-down. IN this case, snow/ski pants. For first timers, nothing worse than playing in the snow and the searing memory is bad gear and freezing/wet feelings. You need to make the investment in good socks, base layers and good bottoms.

Socks, they should have a good level of Merino wool content, reputable brands like Darn Tough, Smartwool, Wigwam, Thor-Lo, Point6, etc.. should be considered. NO COTTON. Wool helps wick (moves moisture from your skin) while also retaining some thermal ability so you don't get clammy, cotton will do none of those things and create worse issues.

Pants, basic black ski pants or bibs are pretty straight forward, depending on the conditions (single-digit temps) you may need them to be insulated; the gals ALWAYS like insulated bottoms. Best is to see if family/friends have some hand-me-downs that can be used otherwise, budget between $99-160 pair. For younger kids, teh better brands will have a 'Grow Stitch' in them so, as they grow, you can cut the thread in the pant leg to extend out another 2-3" of fabric thus, saving you some $$$ during growth spurts.

Base Layers you'll wear next to your skin, like socks, this will move moisture away while leaving your skin dry and able to remain a warm layer. You can go value priced or high-performance with synthetic fabrics (many, many brands) or, warmer but, also more $ with Merino (Smartwool, Icebreaker, etc) fabrics. If you currently have running/gym clothing, they can be used as base layers, if she already has leggings for working out, those can be used. Again NO COTTON.

Decent gloves will run you $55-85, better gloves will be $100+. Synthetic palms are best for beginners, as they'll spend a lot of time in the snow, pushing themselves up and dealing with moisture. Leather palms are great for gripping the ski-poles but will absorb a lot of moisture if you're constantly getting up off the snow.

Upper body you can get away with whatever synthetic materials and shell jackets you currently have. While its nice to purchase for yourself a nice shell jacket, which can also be used in the rain, your big purchase investment should be in your bottoms first.

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Snowmass, Steamboat Springs, Big Sky

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I like Copper, Breckinridge, Winter Park, Vail, and Steamboat for the Colorado offerings. All good.

Never skiied or snowboarded in Utah.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:

Never skiied or snowboarded in Utah.

Exceptionally easy to get to from SLC airport, no long drives up and over like it is from DEN. Even Park City is merely 40-60min drive in the Winter time, once you're there, three big hills to choose from and plenty of off-mountain options.

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take a look at Sundance in Utah. Very family oriented

Mostly beginner to intermediate slopes.

Good ski school. Quaint location without all the craziness of the “big name resorts” but close enough if you want to go see all the places in Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons

Easy to get to from SLC

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6218 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started taking my kids to Steamboat when they were 4/5 and they still love it 10 years later. Great ski school, lots of ski in/out lodging, and they have reliable and free public transportation so you don't need a car while you're there. We use Black Tie to rent our gear - they come to your hotel to fit everything so it's waiting for you when you're ready to go.

Posts: 988 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
Keystone, Breckenridge, and Winter Park are better for beginners. More easy trails. Breck has some good lodging close to the base.

Posts: 829 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I'm not much of a skier, but I enjoyed Durango, Colorado. The easy slopes were very interesting.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take lessons, private if possible. All of the areas I see mentioned in this thread will have first rate instruction available (some of the best in the world) and will make the experience fun and memorable. If you are taking young kids these areas will have great options for young kids. Tip the teachers. Check to see if the area you select has rental/lesson packages. Even for experienced skiers I recommend at least one lesson when going to a new area. Instructors can guide you to the better runs and help you to have a higher quality experience.

Today’s gear is just amazing in both safety and performance. When I started, over 50 years ago, wood skis with metal edges and cable bindings were the norm.

Just a couple of tips:
Don’t over dress
Stay hydrated

Enjoy!

Silent

Posts: 1019 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brighton or Solitude Utah. You're 40 minutes from the Salt Lake Airport and both have excellent ski schools and long bunny runs. Brighton over Solitude by a slim margin IMO.

Posts: 7524 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcshooter
posted Hide Post
I was a professional ski patroller at Park City Mountain Resort for 18 seasons, so I think I can chime in here.

As others have mentioned, CO and NM are a bit of a commute accessibility-wise. Once you get to a place like Beaver Creek or Steamboat, it's great. But getting there is a PITA...especially in the winter.

I'll plug Park City for its accessibility and ski-in/ski-out options. It's 45 minutes to the airport (30 if you drive like me, haha) and there are a ton of ski-in/ski-out options. Lots of non-ski activities as well. The actual terrain is pretty mediocre, but since this is a first time trip for you guys, it'll probably feel like you're skiing in the Alps. January is a good time to go. Any sooner and coverage can be an issue.

Posts: 751 | Location: Free State of Utah | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Your location will make a huge difference.
I lived in the Midwest and began skiing in the east.
You shot out western ski resorts so I am blindly guessing you live that direction.
But if you happen to be closer to the East there is plenty of fine skiing for beginners. I started at a small local place out side of Cincy (not worth a destination trip). Then moved up to Snowshoe in West Virginia which is a great place for the family to learn. I have also done Canaan Valley, Camelback in the Poconos. And a few others.
You’ll save a ton of money skiing out East as well.
If none of you have ever gone may want to invite someone who has to help guide your skiing experience.

In regard to the West I have only skied Bachelor Gulch, Vail, Beaver Creek and Breckinridge, as I have a buddy with a place in Bachelor Gulch so I stay for free.
But I have stayed here on a number of occasions and it was great.

https://www.ritzcarlton.com/en...achelor-gulch#RESORT

I am however going to Park City in January and started booking stuff last night. To my surprise many flights from Cincinnati to Salt Lake City are already booked.
Lift tickets have not gone on sale yet. There is something called an Epic Pass that is for sale but not sure how it works at the moment.
Book soon.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pcshooter:
I was a professional ski patroller at Park City Mountain Resort for 18 seasons, so I think I can chime in here.

As others have mentioned, CO and NM are a bit of a commute accessibility-wise. Once you get to a place like Beaver Creek or Steamboat, it's great. But getting there is a PITA...especially in the winter.

I'll plug Park City for its accessibility and ski-in/ski-out options. It's 45 minutes to the airport (30 if you drive like me, haha) and there are a ton of ski-in/ski-out options. Lots of non-ski activities as well. The actual terrain is pretty mediocre, but since this is a first time trip for you guys, it'll probably feel like you're skiing in the Alps. January is a good time to go. Any sooner and coverage can be an issue.

I live in Park City, and unless you have an Epic Pass or are loaded, I'd look at something up Big Cottonwood Canyon like Brighton or Solitude. Better ski instructors as well and cheaper. I'd recommend even staying at the base of Big Cottonwood Canyon and driving up early every morning to save some money. A friend of mine is fond of the Residence Inn in Cottonwood Heights (6425 South 3000 East, Holladay, UT 84121). He comes every year and stays there, and he is close to 6-7 major ski resorts. Also plenty of places to eat, drink, and shop as well if that's your thing.

Brighton is my favorite mountain.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go somewhere easy to ski. It will take a couple of seasons of skiing to build the skills to be able to handle steeper runs.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan of the Utah resorts. Big and Little Cottonwood canyons plus Snowbasin. Very limited ski in would be biggest problem to solve but SLC makes a great base of operations. Wherever you go I'd push it to late February to insure optimal conditions. January can be a bit thin on the snow base in marginal snow years. Late February you'll either get snow or a Bluebird skies day.

Posts: 1950 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My suggestions are:
Definitely go with ski in/ski out. Walking around with skis gets old fast plus you can go back to your place for lunch or when one person gets tired but everyone else wants to keep going.
Go someplace with a lot of beginner runs.
Everybody needs ski lessons. Even beginner runs will look like straight down the first time you go. Don't be embarrassed when you fall, everybody does.
Putting Scotchguard on jeans won't work for ski clothes. Smile
Expect to be exhausted pretty quickly unless you are in excellent shape.
It's very expensive but ski trips were some of my family's best trips except sometimes my daughter had issues with altitude sickness first day or two.
Once we decided it was OK to sometimes quit after lunch and maybe take it easy for an afternoon, we had better and more relaxing trips.
We always like to rent our skis the afternoon before we skied. Mornings were madhouses in ski rental shops.
Make an effort to get to the top of the mountain at least once. Some of the views are incredible.

Posts: 124 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post