SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    National WW2 Museum in New Orleans - Excellent
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

National WW2 Museum in New Orleans - Excellent Login/Join 
Picture of mcrimm
posted
My wife and I took a little road trip to visit this fine museum after driving by it a couple years ago. Little else is happening here with the KungFlu killing both the parades associated with MartinGras and the HopOn, HopOff buses.

The museum is a 2 day visit and the 4D show is tremendous. This is a large facility that covers both the European and Pacific fronts. Lots of videos and displays.

If you get this way, don’t miss it. Day 2 tomorrow.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4235 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It's definitely well worth a visit, as is the National WW1 Museum in Kansas City.

Posts: 32538 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I agree. The National WW2 Museum is excellent. I visited back in 2004 while on Reserve duty for the Navy. I spent the entire day in there and still had to rush to get through it towards the end. I would love to go back one day.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30420 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
This is just short of a 2 hour drive for me. Have been meaning to make a visit for several years now but have not made it yet. Tring to put it high on the bucket list. Just down the road from my location is the "USS KIDD"
a WW 2 destroyer which is setting in a floating cradle in the Mississippi River in Baton Rouge, La.. Great museum both the actual ship as well as the museum on shore. Well worth the visit. Not sure of the availability due to the virus bug at this time. ............................................ drill sgt.

Posts: 2021 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Last year we toured the USS Alabama and USS Drum at Mobile. Those ladders were easier to climb when I was 23.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown

Posts: 4235 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
It's definitely well worth a visit, as is the National WW1 Museum in Kansas City.

Very true.

Posts: 4066 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
That is on my bucket list. We almost made it last Spring, driving from Florida to California, but plans changed.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife went when I was at a meeting in New Orleans. I went to the Air Force Museum in Ohio when I was doing contract work nearby in Indiana. We liked both of them. I'm going to suggest that we take each other to both places to see what we missed.

A nation which can prefer disgrace to danger is prepared for a master-and deserves one. Ronald Reagan, 1964, quoted from Alexander Hamilton

Posts: 1684 | Location: Southern Tennessee | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
New Orleans WW2 Museum is really nice. I haven't been there in a long time.
We don't go to NOLA anymore Too bad the Museum is there.

Posts: 13022 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great Museum! The main entrance puts you on a troop train to WWII. There is a nearby annex where they restore exhibits. The kid and I looked inside and a PT boat was being restored. We sneaked inside and got to look the boat over. No one was around. The PT has been fully restored and the Museum offers rides on it on Lake Pontchartrain. Definitely on my bucket list.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16110 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Highly recommended!!!

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7958 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve been an annual member since it opened as the D-Day Museum. Long before I lived in New Orleans

I had the honor to personally know and learn from Dr Ambrose. His son Hugh was a college roommate of mine in Missoula

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6236 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been 3 times and it had grown every time I went. I could spend a week walking around that place.

Posts: 1182 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been more than once. They recently added an interactive exhibit. They are trying to gather more personal histories before the last vet dies.

Posts: 17258 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my only visit to New Orleans in 2014 I went to the museum. WOW. I may forget where I left my reading glasses but not seeing the amazing sites. I have been a PT boat fan since the 60's and to see one close up was great. I need to make a another visit as they now give rides on the restored one.

I highly recommend it.

Lock N Load

Michael
USMC Ret

Posts: 1452 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My family and I visited the WW2 museum for one day while in New Orleans for a wedding. I agree that it really deserves two days.

It is truly an awesome display of history & US fortitude.

I hope to go back again and devote sufficient time that it needs. Highly recommend it.

Posts: 797 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:
Just down the road from my location is the "USS KIDD"a WW 2 destroyer which is setting in a floating cradle in the Mississippi River in Baton Rouge, La.. Great museum both the actual ship as well as the museum on shore. Well worth the visit. Not sure of the availability due to the virus bug at this time. ............................................ drill sgt.

Thanks drill sgt. after our second day at the WW2 museum, we took your advise and spent the rainy day checking out the ‘Kidd’. I served on the USS Truxton DLGN-35 which is larger than a WW2 tin can. This is a tiny ship. It’s all open but only a few tourists were there.

posted Hide Post
I went while on a business trip to NO in 2017. It was awesome but BEYOND crowded. I mean wall-to-wall people. I kept thinking that's why they have occupancy rules. I actually gave up about 2/3rds through because I could not move to check out any exhibits close-up.

Talk about pre-COVID life.

Posts: 3539 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
On my list if we're ever allowed to travel again. I did go to the Museum of the Pacific War in Fredericksburg, TX, two years ago. That's another one you need two days for and the tickets are indeed good for 2 consecutive days. As most probably know, that is Chester Nimitz's hometown.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3455 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Confederate museum is right down the street from the WW2 museum. It's the exact opposite as its been in operation since the 1890's and many uniforms, artifacts were contributed by the owners themselves or their immediate families.
It's a good half day visit.

Posts: 174 | Registered: February 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post