SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fire extinguisher for vehicle?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fire extinguisher for vehicle? Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
Driving home from work yesterday I came to a smoke-filled intersection. A fellow was pulling a flatbed trailer, and whatever was on it had caught fire. Maybe it was mulch, I'm not really sure.

Anyway, several of us stopped and handed over whatever water bottles we had in our vehicles, and then another driver in a service truck of some sort stopped and used the extinguisher that was on his truck.

So my next thoughts upon leaving the scene were, 1) my truck smells like smoke now, 2) I need to replace the water bottles I usually keep in the back, and 3) I should get an extinguisher to keep in the truck. Next, of course, was that I need to ask the folks at SF for recommendations for a suitable extinguisher.

So, SF, what do you like and recommend?

God bless America.

Posts: 13913 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Know when to fight. Learn about discharge time. It takes longer than you think to put out a fire. So, size of extinguisher impacts discharge time. Don't forget P.A.S.S. (Pull the pin. Aim. Squeeze. Sweep.)

Others can chime in on type. Smile

Good info here.

Also, when mounting, be mindful you aren't creating a missile during a wreck. Most mounts that come with the unit are for stationary walls, they won't hold in an impact.

KIDDE is a leader, don't let their recent recall deter you.

edited typos

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ffips,

Posts: 3586 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
This is what I keep in both my vehicles.

https://smile.amazon.com/Kidde...ds=Fire+extinguisher

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3127 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I keep a small one (size 5?)in the console right next to me. It's not going to put out a tanker fire, but might help buy a few seconds to help someone get out of a vehicle. If no one's life is at risk, I'm not approaching a burning vehicle. No way.

Posts: 9030 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buy the largest size that will fit wherever you put it. Also research the types of extinguishers. For a vehicle you probably want an ABC (BC won't put out things like carpet (combustables) on fire), however ABC's are powder (dry chem) and will make a huge mess. BC's are carbon dioxide and don't make a mess and will put out most vehicle fires such as grease or fuel on fire.

Posts: 21417 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Thanks, all!

God bless America.

Posts: 13913 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK. 1. Have an extinguisher in your vehicle. 2. assume the vehicle you want to save is yours. Others are optional. 3. You do NOT want a dry chem extinguisher for almost any real fire as the mess is worse than the fire especially on anything electronic which of course is about everything in a modern vehicle. 4. Get a Halotron Fire Extinguisher (or an equivalent).
5. buy the biggest one you can easily carry.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11178 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Whatever fire extinguisher you get, make sure it is secured well so it doesn't hurt any occupants in a crash.

Posts: 9834 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Encountered the same situation. This was a car engine fire. I had small (2.5 pound) extinguisher. I was able to knock the fire down, then it flared up. The extinguisher wasn't enough to put it out. I ended up grabbing a garden hose and spraying until the fire department arrived.
I now carry a dry chemical, 5 pound extinguisher. I shake it every so often to keep things loose.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6065 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I have a 5 pound ABC in the Ferrari because they're known to catch fire when being re-fueled

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53852 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
I shake it every so often to keep things loose.

Good point. I think the one in my garage may be dead from just sitting for so long.

God bless America.

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
also make sure its not a Kidde with a plastic nozzle or handle

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53852 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
also make sure its not a Kidde with a plastic nozzle or handle

Yeah. Buckeye makes a good fire extinguisher with a metal handle and metal nozzle. Most all of the ABC Kidde's were recalled and Kidde isn't producing enough to even meet warranty replacements, the tech from Broward Fire told me 2 days ago (large fire company in South Florida).

Posts: 21417 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some f.e.'s come with a straight pin to prevent
unintentional operation .

mine fell out so I replaced it with a nail,
all was well in the trunk of my car for 5 years,
then , the nail fell out.

while loading a table in to the trunk , I hit the trigger and about a shot glass full of yellow stuff covered the trunk.

now I use one of these
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Cr...Clip-43838/202209738

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55211 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I have a somewhat different take: Is having a vehicle fire extinguisher dangerous?

While I don't have any personal experience, I have a good friend who was driving down the interstate when he was flagged down and told smoke was coming out from under his car. By the time he pulled over, he had just enough time to grab his phone and jump out before the car was consumed by flames.

Considering that your vehicle could go up in flames and/or the gas tank explode, is it wise to stay with the vehicle and try to put out the fire? Or, does it make more sense to get out and get away from the vehicle?

Posts: 6580 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a somewhat different take: Is having a vehicle fire extinguisher dangerous?

I have never considered a vehicle mounted fire extinguisher as a tool to save the vehicle. It is a tool to save myself (or another) as I escape the vehicle. The vehicle can burn to the ground.

Posts: 10640 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
quote:

I have never considered a vehicle mounted fire extinguisher as a tool to save the vehicle. It is a tool to save myself (or another) as I escape the vehicle. The vehicle can burn to the ground.

Good point. From that perspective, based on how fast his car was engulfed, I'd say my friend would heartily agree with you.

Posts: 6580 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a firefighter. There are many (most) vehicle fires you can stop in the initial part of the incident. Most likely some leaking fluid or a small electrical. Anything as an extinguisher is OK. I prefer a non dry chem powder due to the corrosive issues, but OK. You don't need a huge extinguisher for anything you can likely save. Once you have a fully involved car fire get as far away as possible. You can't carry the tools to deal with it.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11178 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cokehockey
posted Hide Post
Agreed...as a firefighter as well I've never seen a vehicle extinguisher save a life. Most of the time the vehicle is totaled, and it is a waste of extinguisher. I don't keep any in my vehicles, but 1 downstairs in the house and 1 upstairs.
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I'm a firefighter. There are many (most) vehicle fires you can stop in the initial part of the incident. Most likely some leaking fluid or a small electrical. Anything as an extinguisher is OK. I prefer a non dry chem powder due to the corrosive issues, but OK. You don't need a huge extinguisher for anything you can likely save. Once you have a fully involved car fire get as far away as possible. You can't carry the tools to deal with it.

““My mother always used to say: The older you get, the better you get, unless you’re a banana.” —Betty White

Posts: 102 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: February 03, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Fire extinguishers are required equipment on all CMVs. The most common cause of fire on a semi are brake fires, something not often encountered on passenger vehicles. The DOT requires us to carry a 2.5lb, which is a joke. 2.5lbs on a brake fire will suppress it for a minute, then the heat will reignite it. I carry two 5 pounders at opposite corners of the cab. On semis, it’s mostly to stop the fire before it consumes a $150,000 truck and $100,000 of cargo.

If my car was on fire, I’d get everybody out and walk away. It’s not that much to replace.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8279 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post