SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    California Man Sentenced to Nearly 4 Years in Federal Prison for Scheme to Smuggle Rifle Scopes and Tactical Equipment to Syria
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

California Man Sentenced to Nearly 4 Years in Federal Prison for Scheme to Smuggle Rifle Scopes and Tactical Equipment to Syria Login/Join 
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted
Department of Justice
Office of Public Affairs
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Thursday, December 20, 2018
California Man Sentenced to Nearly 4 Years in Federal Prison for Scheme to Smuggle Rifle Scopes and Tactical Equipment to Syria
Rasheed Al Jijakli, 57, a Syrian-born naturalized U.S. citizen who resides in Walnut, California, was sentenced today to 46 months in prison for his role in a scheme to smuggle rifle scopes and other tactical gear to Syria in violation of the International Emergency Economic Powers Act and sanctions imposed on Syria by the United States.

The announcement was made by Assistant Attorney General for National Security John C. Demers and U.S. Attorney Nicola T. Hanna for the Central District of California. The sentence was issued by U.S. District Judge James V. Selna.

During today’s sentencing hearing, Judge Selna agreed with prosecutors that the goods Jijakli took to Syria were “instruments of death.”

Jijakli pleaded guilty to the felony offense on Aug. 13 and admitted he conspired with others to export tactical gear from the United States to Syria. That tactical gear included U.S.-origin laser boresighters, and day- and night-vision rifle scopes.

From June through July of 2012, Jijakli and a co-conspirator purchased the tactical gear. On July 17, 2012, Jijakli traveled with the tactical gear from Los Angeles to Istanbul with the intent that it would be provided to Syrian rebels training in Turkey and fighting in Syria.

Jijakli provided some of the tactical gear, specifically the laser boresighters, to a second co-conspirator, who Jijakli learned was a member of the militant group Ahrar Al-Sham. Jijakli also provided the goods to other armed Syrian insurgent groups in Syria and Turkey.

Jijakli and his co-conspirators knowingly provided at least 43 laser boresighters, 85 day rifle scopes, 30 night-vision rifle scopes, tactical flashlights, a digital monocular, five radios, and one bulletproof vest to Ahrar Al-Sham and other Syrian rebels in Syria, or with knowledge that the tactical gear was going to Syria.

Additionally, in August and September 2012, Jijakli directed co-conspirators to withdraw thousands of dollars from Palmyra Corporation, where Jijakli was the chief executive officer, to pay for tactical gear that would be provided to Syrian rebels. In his plea agreement, Jijakli specifically admitted directing that $17,000 from Palmyra be used to purchase tactical gear intended for Syrian rebels.

The case against Jijakli was the result of an investigation conducted by the FBI, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s Homeland Security Investigations, the U.S. Department of Commerce’s Office of Export Enforcement, and IRS Criminal Investigation.

The case against Jijakli was prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Mark Takla of the Central District of California’s Terrorism and Export Crimes Section, and Trial Attorney Christian Ford of the National Security Division’s Counterintelligence and Export Control Section.
Source

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Just out of curiosity, what is the big deal with bore sighters?

Yeah, they may make sighting scopes in easier, but other than that I have no idea what their use might be.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
The bore sighters I’ve used sucked. I e had better results installing a scope and shooting at 25 yds to get on paper.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
If scopesights cannot be exported in accordance with ITAR or similar rules, I can readily see how associated accessories such as bore sighters would also be restricted.

And it makes no difference if there are other, possibly even better ways of zeroing a scope. Try using the “But I’m more accurate with a semiauto than full automatic” defense for having an unregistered machine gun and see how that works out.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
Sounds like more about where he sent them, than what. He took his chances and got caught.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2009 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
If scopesights cannot be exported in accordance with ITAR rules, I can readily see how associated accessories such as bore sighters would also be restricted.

There is a ton of stuff you'd never think is subject to ITAR, but it is. For example, I worked on some ideas for improving training facilities at Grafenwoehr. Project was for the US Army, paid for by US funds, and overseen by US Army Europe, however, because there was a German firm on our team to do the construction if it was ever approved we had to go the whole ITAR permit route. Obtaining the ITAR permit was the single most expensive and time-consuming part of the project.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I wonder if it was IR lasers, and the description got media mangled.

Posts: 9963 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
My takeaway was: "haha, they're so fucked and in need of gear that this one dude bothered to smuggle one single bullet roof vest over there."

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Shouldn't screw with ITAR. I'd expect a stiffer sentence.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Also beware that ITAR doesn't only apply to equipment, but to knowledge.

It is nothing to be trifled with, they will fuck you hard over it.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
The bore sighters I’ve used sucked. I e had better results installing a scope and shooting at 25 yds to get on paper.
We should give the enemy my laser boresighter as it’d make our troops safer. It’s plus/minus 2 meters at 50 meters.

As far as ITAR, he should have the book thrown at him repeatedly. ITAR is huge and a printed version would hurt.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Four years is a shameful slap on the wrist for a terrorist aiding and abetting other terrorists. He is a traitor and I hope he gets the full attention of whatever convicts take issue with his actions.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15576 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
In looking for information about a Magpul rifle sling that consists of a length of nylon strap and a few plastic parts I saw this at the bottom of the page: “Export Administration Regulations Controlled Product.”

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
well, I think once he serves his term in federal prison, he should be stripped of his citizenship and deported back to Syria since he seems to le than the US

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53179 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
well, I think once he serves his term in federal prison, he should be stripped of his citizenship and deported back to Syria since he seems to le than the US

he won't be deported, he's running for congress...

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8682 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post