SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Laser Pointers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Laser Pointers Login/Join 
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted
Where's the best source to get them? I'm looking for good quality, something that will last years. Also, how powerful? Main use would be on construction walkdowns, to point out stuff in the ceiling, following conduit runs, etc. I don't need to pop balloons or light matches. Although it would be pretty cool to have that ability.... (grunt grunt grunt....)

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3350 | Location: Grapevine TX/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have a green laser pointer by Z-Bolt. I purchased it several years ago and am happy with it. The company claims that although maximum power output is limited by law, their technology ensures that it produces maximum brightness with that power. I can’t comment one way or another about that, but I do know it’s visible at least three times as far as a red laser pointer I have.

http://www.z-bolt.com/

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47679 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once you step up in power to popping balloons and such, you really need to be wearing protective eye wear at all times.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rock Paper
Scissors
Lizard Spock
Picture of James in Denver
posted Hide Post
I would suggest ebay or amazon. I had a green one that did fairly well during the day. Can't see it in outside sunlight on a sunny day, but pretty much anytime else.

Mine broke (my fault, not the laser, it got trampled on) and I don't do presentations much anymore so I didn't see the need to replace it.

James in Denver

----------------------------
"Voldemorte himself created his worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back!"
Book 6 - Ch 23

Posts: 4484 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I looked on Amazon, didn't see anything I liked. Also, I can't have RF or Bluetooth in it, needs to be just a laser "flashlight". Security reasons.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3350 | Location: Grapevine TX/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 5mW green laser pointer that has been quite dependable and would serve your purposes. Mine is a GPA 5 model from Beta Electronics, Columbus OHClick on Green Laser Pointer in the sidebar. $70 They claim a range of 10,000 feet. I have never tested it beyond 100'.

Posts: 565 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
... handyman contractor friend uses a Designers Edge light/laser pointer/spot. No idea as to the laser output though. Runs on 3 x AAA

https://www.jbtoolsales.com/de...t-magnet-combo-tool/

Around the home I use a Cen-Tech IR/ Thermometer.
Red laser is <5 mW, wavelength 630-660 nm. Uses a 9v battery;
I think it was $20 or so from HomeDepot/Lowes.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a green wicked laser years ago. I don't recall what power level I ordered, but the test sheet that came with said it was 80mW. Higher than what I paid for. Damn bright. It's like a light saber at night. Can pop dark colored balloons.

quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
wickedlasers.com

Posts: 348 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I found the wicked laser website. Looks like good stuff, but a little pricey. On the other hand, I have decent flashlights and don't mind paying for quality there. Their website says they aren't accepting orders for lasers >5mw to the US. Is that a legal maximum? And what sort of wattage do I want? Does it vary by color?

- Dave Barry

posted Hide Post
http://www.skyandtelescope.com...e-of-laser-pointers/

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55177 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IntrepidTraveler:
Yeah, I found the wicked laser website. Looks like good stuff, but a little pricey. On the other hand, I have decent flashlights and don't mind paying for quality there. Their website says they aren't accepting orders for lasers >5mw to the US. Is that a legal maximum? And what sort of wattage do I want? Does it vary by color?

Yeah, the power varies by color. A friend has a 1w model from them. They used to ship here, but perhaps it's changed.

Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Their website says they aren't accepting orders for lasers >5mw to the US. Is that a legal maximum?

Yes.

Posts: 8179 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
wickedlasers.com

Should be called Wicked Priced Lasers....

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...050018905#1050018905

Posts: 8673 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
quote:
wickedlasers.com

Should be called Wicked Priced Lasers....

Have another, lesser expensive, source for equally powered, similar quality, units?

I've not seen one, myself, but would like to.

posted Hide Post
I happened to be in Fry's Electronics tonight, and walked past their laser pointer display. They have several models there.

http://www.alpec.com/

One had both red and green lasers, and the company also makes blue lasers!

Posts: 2812 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]
Have another, lesser expensive, source for equally powered, similar quality, units?

I've not seen one, myself, but would like to.[/QUOTE]

well here you go..You ca buy 20 and throw these away and be way ahead of the game

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kimber...ageName=STRK:MESE:IT

5 of these and throw away the rail:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VISM-b...ageName=STRK:MESE:IT

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...050018905#1050018905

Posts: 8673 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:

The wattage is limited due to eye safety. You CAN get higher wattage lasers, but for use in industrial settings or labs. Anything below the 5mW (for lasers in the visible frequency range) rating is safe for eyes due to the 'aversion response' being quicker than what is needed to cause eye damage. Anything above 5mW is not a consumer item. If you want one, you have to have an laser safety program in place. The green lasers aren't 'brighter', it's just that they throw light in a range that's better detected by human eyes.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8365 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I have one of these.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Milita...9:g:H4UAAOSwWnFV966X

Not high end, but is really bright and works. Even came with an 18650 lithium battery and charger. It comes with this disco ball thing that you can attach that makes patterns on walls for fun.

For $10 shipped, you can at least have something that you can use, then decide if you want to step it up to a high quality unit.

Posts: 7444 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post