SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Lens Replacement Surgery. Anyone had it done?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lens Replacement Surgery. Anyone had it done? Login/Join 
posted
My wife is 49 and her vision is pretty bad. She can't see far away or up close. She was told that Lasik wouldn't be the best option due to her age and worsening vision. So shes considering lens replacement, with the possibility of improved distance vision and no need for readers.
Has anyone here had it done, and if so, what were the results, and would you do it again?

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3625 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
ICL?
It's been on my radar for a while, just not in the budget. My prescription is too high/cornea too thin for Lasik.

Been in contacts for nearly 25 years.

I know we have a few eye docs on here, hopefully they chime in.
bcereuss is one of them I think.
Another has the CUT 'light bender, eye mender' which I assume would mean Lasik doc, and probably would know as well.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15949 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
bald1’s thread on your subject:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...935/m/2890007294/p/1

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9410 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dad (90yo) had it done about 5 years ago and it has really worked out for him. Prior to the operation, coke bottle glasses, slight cataract, always losing them the glasses......Surgery went well, recovery was a few days. If it comes down to it and its an option for me, I'd chose it.

Posts: 145 | Location: Chapel Hill, NC | Registered: June 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
bald1’s thread on your subject:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...935/m/2890007294/p/1

That was the point of my post. Cataract or something more like ICL?

Posts: 15949 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I had cataract surgery 15 years ago and it has been great. Find a doctor who does lots of these surgeries. You might need to look to cities for the right doctor. My best friend had it done in a smaller town and he has had lots of problems.

Posts: 5677 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
How does “lens replacement surgery” differ from cataract surgery, which is replacing the lens? Sounds like the same thing. If she’s already got a cataract, seems like a no-brainer to have cataract surgery.

I think the best course would be to consult a good Opthalmologist and find out what they recommend.

Posts: 27149 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She doesn't have cataracts. This would be for improved vision.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3625 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:

Which, I believe would be ICL [Implanted Contact/Corrective Lens], not a replacement.

Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:

Which, I believe would be ICL [Implanted Contact/Corrective Lens], not a replacement.

RLE (Refractive Lens Exchange) has been recommended for Mrs.BurtonRW (who has already had bilateral lasik and a prk revision on one eye). Additional benefit is never developing cataracts.

$6K per eye is not something I’m funding with change from the couch cushions, however. But it sounds fantastic.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16310 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
^ Hadn't heard of that one.
I was told in the $4-6k range total for ICL.
Similar time/recovery to Lasik

Semi-benefit, it's reversible/upgradeable.

Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I'm 73 and had my not so bad cataracts removed in January. Doc said he could fix my vision with glasses but I insisted on no glasses so he gave the go ahead for cataract surgery so medicare would pick up the tab. I've never worn prescription glasses but my distance vision was deteriorating noticeably.

I'm fortunate to have a world renowned eye surgeon 5 minutes from home, Dr. Black's Eye Associates, and again I insisted on no glasses if that was possible. They recommended PanOptix lenses, my cost was $6500 for both eyes and I have no regrets. I can read the tiny print on a medicine bottle and I can read a distant street sign as well as I could when young. Surgery was a piece of cake. I was on the computer 3 hours after 1st eye and have not worn readers since.

The drawback is haloes at night on mainly led headlights. I don't do much night driving and the haloes do not bother me a great deal but they are annoying. They are diminishing with time or else I've grown accustomed to them.

I'm thrilled with the results, my 6 months final visit is Aug 1st and I'm going to address the haloes but if nothing can be done I'm good with that.

https://www.myalcon.com/catara...areon-iols/panoptix/

Posts: 4810 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
I'm 73 and had my not so bad cataracts removed in January. Doc said he could fix my vision with glasses but I insisted on no glasses so he gave the go ahead for cataract surgery so medicare would pick up the tab. I've never worn prescription glasses but my distance vision was deteriorating noticeably.

Same lens here and much happiness. I'm a year post op and don't notice the headlight halos anymore. They're there if I look for them but not noticed unless I think about it.

I'm fortunate to have a world renowned eye surgeon 5 minutes from home, Dr. Black's Eye Associates, and again I insisted on no glasses if that was possible. They recommended PanOptix lenses, my cost was $6500 for both eyes and I have no regrets. I can read the tiny print on a medicine bottle and I can read a distant street sign as well as I could when young. Surgery was a piece of cake. I was on the computer 3 hours after 1st eye and have not worn readers since.

The drawback is haloes at night on mainly led headlights. I don't do much night driving and the haloes do not bother me a great deal but they are annoying. They are diminishing with time or else I've grown accustomed to them.

I'm thrilled with the results, my 6 months final visit is Aug 1st and I'm going to address the haloes but if nothing can be done I'm good with that.

https://www.myalcon.com/catara...areon-iols/panoptix/

Posts: 3537 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
The halos will go away eventually.

Posts: 5677 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
I had cataract surgery 15 years ago and it has been great. Find a doctor who does lots of these surgeries. You might need to look to cities for the right doctor. My best friend had it done in a smaller town and he has had lots of problems.

good idea on surfing doc's., however when the wife had her eyes done, she went to a small town doc that had done a load of them, and all worked out well,

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10548 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s cataract surgery before the lens turns yellow ( cataract ) - so insurance doesn’t pay since you don’t have a true cataract.

Read up on the cataract surgery posts here and you’ll have good info about the different options - it’s just gonna cost you a bunch of money.

For someone with a big Rx and is contact lens intolerant and not a LASIK candidate, it’s worth looking into. You’re basically doing cataract surgery 20-50 years early.

Optometrist here. Good luck.

MDS

Posts: 394 | Registered: November 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bob ramberg
posted Hide Post
Just had my right eye lens replaced due to a cataract. Piece of cake. Outpatient surgery. In and out in about two hours. Very short recovery.

Bob
Carpe Scrotum

Posts: 1384 | Location: Democratic Peoples Republic of Madiganistan | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Harleysbluff:

it’s just gonna cost you a bunch of money.
I had both eyes done at Filutowski Eye Clinic -- they are a huge multi-location outfit here in Central Florida.

It did not cost me "a bunch of money." With Medicare and Supplement, my total out-of-pocket cost was $45 for each eye. This was for the post-surgery eye drops that were not covered by my MediCare plan.

Same with my wife, a few years later, except for some reason (I forget why), she used three separate types of eye drops instead of the all-in-one that I used.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31341 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Harleysbluff:

it’s just gonna cost you a bunch of money.
I had both eyes done at Filutowski Eye Clinic -- they are a huge multi-location outfit here in Central Florida.

It did not cost me "a bunch of money." With Medicare and Supplement, my total out-of-pocket cost was $45 for each eye. This was for the post-surgery eye drops that were not covered by my MediCare plan.

Same with my wife, a few years later, except for some reason (I forget why), she used three separate types of eye drops instead of the all-in-one that I used.

If it's elective, and not "medically necessary" it will "cost a bunch of money."

Posts: 3005 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Harleysbluff:

That was my experience. I was told Medicare would cover at no charge to me the 3 separate bottles of eye drops, which they said was a pain in the @@@ to keep up with, or I could pay $90 for a single bottle of "All-In-One".

That single bottle, 3-in-1, I'm glad I paid the $90. It was absolutely worth it.

Posts: 11964 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post