SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Commuter Motorcycle
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Commuter Motorcycle Login/Join 
posted
It has been a 4 years since I sold my last motorcycle, a KLR 650, and I am looking for another.

I drive 400-800 miles per month between campuses for work for which I am reimbursed but the miles are starting to add up on my Nissan Frontier and then there is the steep increase in fuel over the past year.

I am looking in the 650-750 class, more upright position (not sport) and there are several out there.

A few I am considering are Suzuki SV650 ABS, Yamaha MT-07, and Triumph Trident 660.

There are many good reviews for the Honda NC750X. Storage and great MPG but the power is low and I want something fun to ride as well as commute.

What are your thoughts and recommendations.

Posts: 1076 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My experiences although not exactly what you ask for, shows where the SV650 compares.

I had a coworker whom rode his SV650 daily down to 28F while sleeting. He bought a Ducati 899, but also kept his SV650. He rode the Ducati on occasion but rode the SV650 more often.

I was test riding a Ducati Monster, the dealer was eager to sell me, saying its better than his SV650, he's had three SV650s, he has a Panigale now. I didnt buy the Monster after hearing his story, I really wanted the confirmtion that the SV650 was as good. The Monster's dry clutch noise was prominent at stoplights.

I endup getting a very good deal on a Suzuki Hayabusa, but I always keep an eye out for an SV650.
I've had a Honda 919 and Honda CB500F.

Go with the best deal of those choices, unless your heart really wants one more than the other.

I dont regret the Hayabusa but the nimbleness of the 700cc bikes is nice for dailying. I thought getting a good overall bike that had plenty power for two-up would be also good for daily but it shows its weight.

Shop for insurance rates too, that could make a difference. The Monster was twice what the Hayabusa was per month!

Posts: 237 | Location: SDF | Registered: January 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
SW I'm not that familiar with the three you are considering. I'll just add that I'd think attributes that I'd like in a commuter motorcycle are adequate power for traveling on expressways or even Interstates which all three you listed have, including the NC750X. Probably next would be lockable panniers or trunk (NC750 has). After this, some protection from wind, rain, and road dirt, which means a little fairing or windshield and maybe hand protectors. Lastly, tall offering visibility..... both for you and for others to see you. LOL of the ones you mentioned my first 2 choices might be a KLR650 or NC750X. Fun can be had on any motorcycle.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7119 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not one of the models you mentioned, but I suggest either a Suzuki V Strom 650, or a BMW F650GS. I have had both. Comfortable, and lots of options for some type of panniers to carry daily stuff. I enjoyed the BMW more but the Suzuki can be had for much less $, especially if you can find a good used one.
Lots of aftermarket accessories available for both.
SW_Sig, I see you are in McKinney. If you have not already found it, check out the forum TwoWheeledTexans (TWTex). Lots of locals to get advice from and meet up for a ride.

-------------------
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered his last round.

Posts: 1107 | Location: North Texas | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Don’t discount the NC750. I have had an NC700 since 2012 and it has never let me down.
I ride to work every day I am able (10 miles or so). I have also taken on a few road trips. A four hour ride isn’t bad.
I see anywhere from low 60s on mpg, and have seen 70mpg on a couple road trips (and at, ahem, paralegal speeds)
It’s no CBR, but it has enough power (51hp on the old NC700) to out run traffic and be fun on a winding road.
The storage box is an absolute game changer. I can fit my full face helmet in, or my sling bag that is my near constant companion.
I have a bit over 23k on the clock, and between it and my 4 years newer HD Roadster, the Honda is the one I’ll keep.

Posts: 6308 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a 650 V-Strom. Great bike and should be a good commuter ride.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16124 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I'll toss a vote in for the Vulcan S
Comfortable cruiser-ish erog, and a 10k rpm engine from the Ninja 650.

On a longer ride, I got just shy of 60mpg.
Commuting, I was averaging mid to high 40s.

Throw on a set of Viking bags & it makes for a nimble commuter.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15379 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
By far, this was the best commuter motorcycle that I had.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30733 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
You aren't giving a lot of parameters here.

What type of commute do you have? (80 MPH freeway or 40 MPH backroads / Hours or minutes)
How much do you want to spend?
Do you plan for to use the bike for commute only or do you have other purposes for it?
How tall/big are you?

You mention three standards that are more sport-oriented that don't come with luggage.

I started commuting on a motorcycle when I was 15.5 (CA motorcycle permit age). I've formed some pretty strong opinions about what works and what doesn't.

First off, an Aerostich Roadcrafter is the only way to fly gear wise if you are commuting.

Second, the bike needs to have an adequate fairing to give decent wind protection. Commuting without it is utterly exhausting.

Third, make sure you have enough bike and the correct gearing to munch miles. It sucks to buzz along on a 600cc with at 4000 rpm.

Fourth, decide what your needs are luggage wise. If a Givi top-box will fit everything you want/need to carry than you may be ok with a SV650. For me, I want more lockable luggage space.

Fifth, make sure you have creature comforts like heated grips and a comfy seat. They matter more than you would think.

I've owned fourteen bikes and my current is a HD Ultra Limited. It's perfect for my use right now as I don't currently have a long commute, but love going on long rides with friends or to clear my head. I also have plenty of room to fit any stuff I want to bring.

If I were going to go back to riding a 90 minute plus commute on the freeway everyday with lots of lane splitting in all weather conditions I'd be on a BMW R1250RT. Not a doubt in my mind.

If you're open to a used bike there are some great deals to be had out there. A Honda ST1300 makes an excellent comfy mile-munching bike. One of my best friends ditched his 929RR and picked up an ST1300 in 2006 as put over a 100k miles on it. It's an excellent worry free machine.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4204 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The SV650 is easily one of the best motorcycles Suzuki ever made and is hands down one of the best all-rounders ever built. It excels as a commuter, gets great mpgs and does mighty fine on the track as well thanks to its bullet proof engine. The 90° twin is so fun and reliable.

I had a SV650 for a few years and it served me well. Like a damn fool I sold mine because I was mostly riding my R1. After a few very close calls on the R1 I temporarily lost the love of riding. Then I came across this. The SV650’s bigger brother the SV1000. It’s not quite as good on gas as the SV650 but the increased torque and power makes me no longer miss my SV650.

I own a lot of motorcycles, this one is my favorite. It’s a shame Suzuki no longer makes the SV1000.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21127 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I’m a motorcyclist as well, but my employer’s safety policy explicitly forbids using a motorcycle for company business (ie mileage they’re reimbursing). Just throwing it out there to insure the OP checks before buying a new motorcycle.

However, if I were able to get business miles reimbursed on a motorcycle the Trident would be my choice. It has all of the top-shelf ride control electronics of more expensive motorcycles.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23317 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are not employer restrictions on vehicle type for reimbursement.

I am 6’1” and about 200 lbs.

Longest distance on highway is about 10 miles as I tend to stay on back roads and city streets driving between campuses now. My office is less than 1.5 miles from my house by I often drive to 3 or 4 campuses a day.

I carry a laptop as part of my job so luggage is not a requirement.

Those that I listed are in the price range I am looking to stay close to.

Posts: 1076 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The MT-07 is also a VERY good bike. It benefits from being a more modern design than the SV650 but being a parallel twin it won’t have the character that the 90° V-twin SV650 will provide. My neighbor has an MT-07 and really likes it.

There is another bike in this category I would consider. Kawasaki’s retro 650 twin has the classic looks of a 1970’s UJM but none of the hassle of owning an old motorcycle. It would be near the top of my list when looking for a fun commuter with a comfy riding position that sips gas.

Personally, I’d stay away from Triumph. I am not saying their bikes are not good but I’d expect a Japanese motorcycle to provide a much more reliable and problem free experience over all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21127 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you liked your last KLR 650, I'd take a look at the new model, which is updated a bit with fuel injection and a few other amenities.

Posts: 2491 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
It’s a vintage bike, but my Honda Pacific Coast (PC800) was, IMO, the perfect commuter.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31485 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SW_Sig:
......I often drive to 3 or 4 campuses a day. ....I carry a laptop as part of my job so luggage is not a requirement.

I would think that lockable, waterproof luggage would be handy as all get out for your commute. At least it was for me because I used to carry all sorts of items when commuting; occasional papers or files, laptop, water bottle, lunch, rain suit, etc. Once at work the empty lockable case or trunk held my jacket and helmet, and on the return home I could pick up items at the grocery store.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7119 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
76- 900. I did three Canadian trips from Virginia on this...very comfy, liked to do 75-80

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1631 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I'd forgotten about the Z650RS
Same engine as my Vulcan S recommendation, but in between the cruiser Vulcan & extra sporty Ninja.

I really like that green RS & would be quite tempted by it if I were in the market.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15379 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
Your stated average commuting distance is a weak excuse to buy a motorcycle for the purposes of commuting! That's OK though, but don't bother choosing your motorcycle based on that purpose. 400-800 miles in a month for work is only about 20-40 miles per work day (about 20 days in a month). 20-40 miles per work day with only 10 highway miles can be handled by pretty much ANY motorcycle that can do highway speeds (even a few scooters)! I would suggest instead to choose a motorcycle that you will enjoy riding the most on your NON-work days and ignore the "commuting" requirements completely.

For example, the KLR650 is a lousy long-distance highway commuter bike because it doesn't go very fast and has little fast-highway speed power, but it's a lot more fun and easy to take on crappy pot-holed back roads, and is immeasurably better and funner on dirt roads, than any street-specific motorcycle, while still being just OK on the pavement. So if your non-work riding fun is for exploring back roads, the KLR650 is a good choice, even if the road commute is not as nice as a street bike.

That being said, maybe the KLR650 isn't a good example for you because you had one and sold it, so its do-everything abilities aren't important to you; but you get the point. Figure out what you want to do on the weekends first! Just get what your heart wants and pocketbook can afford because your "commute" requirements are too minor that you need to focus on a particular style of bike for that purpose.

Posts: 4351 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
Kawasaki Versys 650. It does a lot of everything really well. It sits a bit tall which won't be a problem for you (but I had to lower mine to be able to flat-foot at stop lights).

Upright seating position, even better if you put on bar risers. Plenty of aftermarket doodads like taller windshield, foot peg lowering kits, seats (the stock seat is pretty bad for long distances for most people). Plenty of luggage options if you want to motocamp or tour. More than enough power.

The Versys 1000 gets superb reviews. It has a few more refinements than the 650, is a parallel 4 cylinder rather than the 2 cylinder 650. A bit heavier, but people say it is both super stable on the highway and nimble in the twisties.

Posts: 9483 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post