SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Williams (AZ) Police Department purchases gun-mounted cameras
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Williams (AZ) Police Department purchases gun-mounted cameras Login/Join 
posted
Are they the first dept to do this?

https://azdailysun.com/news/wi...rce=home-top-story-2

Williams Police Department purchases gun-mounted cameras

SCOTT BUFFON Sun Staff Reporter Nov 24, 2018 Updated 10 hrs ago

The Williams Police Department is mounting cameras to their firearms in an extra step to make sure their uses of force are monitored.

The department already has body cameras for their officers, but didn’t feel the body cameras were necessarily dependable to capture crucial information in the moment of a shooting, explained Darrell Hixson, Williams Police Department lieutenant. The technology costs $500 per system and includes a flashlight, microphone and camera that attaches to the rail beneath weapon muzzles.

Hixson felt the technology would ensure the critical moment of a drawn firearm or shooting is recorded in its entirety. While he believes in the officers on his force, Hixson acknowledged that nationally, officers have made mistakes.

“If we make a mistake, let’s stand up and own it,” Hixson said. “But if we don’t, why should we take all the pressure from all different walks of life — family, friends, media and the department?”

The Veridian Weapon Technology tool uses magnets in the holster to turn on the camera when it is drawn from its holster, and turn off the camera when it is holstered. Hixson said the footage cannot be edited while in the gun, and is uploaded to a secure server that lower-level officers cannot access.

The camera mount is lightweight and doesn’t weigh much more than their normal flashlight attachment, which is included in the Veridian’s weapon mount. It also has a microphone to record the audio of the incidents it gathers.

Hixson said the move was not in response to any shooting in Williams, but was rather in response to the quality of video they’ve been able to capture with their current body cameras. He explained that when they review videos of firearm-involved incidents, the body camera could be pointed away from the action if they’re in cover or at their raised arm.

Hixson’s explanation was part of the vision Veridian’s CEO Brian Heeden had when creating the camera mount.

“The weapon-mounted camera is the only tool designed to capture what we feel is the most important event, an officer-involved shooting or a use of force incident with a firearm. If an officer has his weapon out, that is a use of force even if he doesn’t fire it,” Hedeen said.

Veridian’s technology was developed and released to the marketplace in January and is currently being reviewed by over 400 police agencies, according to Hedeen.

Coconino County Sheriff’s Office has no plans to adopt the technology, according to Rex Gilliland, operations commander at the sheriff’s office.

“The simple answer is no. We haven’t even contemplated or thought about it,” Gilliland said. “We just spent a substantial amount of money to outfit everybody on the body worn camera. They’ve been invaluable to look at incidents.”

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Police Had them in the 1930s

Revolver Camera

https://petapixel.com/2011/05/...os-at-the-same-time/

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
These are cool.

Hopefully they should be equipped with smaller cameras than what I'm working with.

Posts: 9144 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I didn't know Williams had a police dept. It's nothing but one street with some hotels and bars for German tourists who fantasize about Rt. 66. Tax dollars at work!

Posts: 3523 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I lived there for 8 years. Interesting that the chief felt the need, not much violent crime.

BTW, Rick Lee, above, doesn’t know Williams—at all.

Posts: 13240 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
So it's built into a WML? Interesting but still sheds no light on what happened before a weapon is drawn.

I guess along with a body cam it could be useful

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
Lived there for a while also, it might be for all the foreign visitors they get for the train to the Grand Canyon, no crime there to speak of.

Posts: 1292 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
So it's built into a WML? Interesting but still sheds no light on what happened before a weapon is drawn.

I guess along with a body cam it could be useful
Yeah, the article seems to make the point that body cams can be obscured by arms, walls, etc. I think it’s an additive measure overall.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
SMILE. WAIT FOR FLASH.

Posts: 15887 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Williams PD has a skilled grant writer, they get all kinds of equipment under these grants then it gets shelved the next fiscal year. I respect Hixson as a police officer, but as a person, not so much. Many of the WPD officers are "typical" of small town PD's that......OK, I'll stop there.

Just to clarify, I am retired LEO and support police everywhere and try not to bash them, but I see WPD regularly, some of the shit I've seen them do......... They are better than they were 20 years ago.

Posts: 881 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Say “Swiss Cheese”

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4829 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
LiveLeak is going to need a whole new category.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Williams PD is right off of I-40, a major corridor for drugs, stolen vehicles, fugitives and illicit money moving east and west. They do get calls to back up YCSO CCSO and AZ DPS as needed.

If the cost negates even one expensive lawsuit, the expense will pay for itself.

Quote from link below:

"The overall crime rate in Williams is 64% higher than the national average. For every 100,000 people, there are 12.74 daily crimes that occur in Williams. Williams is safer than 5% of the cities in the United States. In Williams you have a 1 in 22 chance of becoming a victim of any crime."

https://www.areavibes.com/williams-az/crime/

Williams, AZ had a 2017 population of 3158 residents. One stat says it's 5000 (seasonal?). There are 14 officers on the department.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: az4783054,

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
They do get calls to back up YCSO and AZ DPS as needed.

That’s odd, Williams is in Coconino County; why would they back up Yavapai?

Posts: 13240 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
The audio would bother me, affecting my ability to stay focused. I'd be "watching what I said" more than reacting with my training.
I wouldn't last long because my mouth.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
They do get calls to back up YCSO and AZ DPS as needed.

That’s odd, Williams is in Coconino County; why would they back up Yavapai?

You're absolutely right, I corrected it. While Yavapai County is one of the largest in the country, it doesn't extend over to Williams. In AZ, I-40 extends through several counties along its 360 miles from CA to NM.

Fire and LE may respond under the mutual aid pact.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
Didn't Doom have a "kill cam" or was that Wolfenstein?

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4617 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post